How to access 1password with dropbox on second machine

Options

I synched my 1Password onto dropbox using a Mac, and would like to access on a Windows machine (tried on both Windows 7 and 8). I go to dropbox on the Windows machine, and see 1Password.opvault, and can click on it, but it just contains a folder called "default" which contains a bunch of "band.js" files. Nothing I click on allows me to actually enter my vault and use 1Password. How do I actually use 1Password on my Windows machine using dropbox??

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @greatgabini,

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble setting up 1Password on your Windows PC! Since the problem is happening on Windows, I've moved your message to our Windows forum. I hope you don't mind!

The 1Password.opvault folder in your Dropbox account contains a copy of your encrypted 1Password data. In order to read that data on Windows, you'll need to download and install the 1Password for Windows program. When you launch the 1Password program, you'll be able to choose to open the vault from Dropbox. You can find the steps to do that in our user guide here: https://support.1password.com/guides/windows/first-launch.html

Does that help? If you have any trouble with that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @greatgabini,

To clarify what you're seeing: on Windows, the 1Password vault is treated as a typical folder, which is why you can go inside it and double-clicking on it does not open up in 1Password. On Mac, these are self-contained files, which opens up in 1Password when you double-click on it.

Once you open the 1Password for Windows program on your PC, you can open it via the File Menu or if it shows the welcome tour with three options, you can choose the I have used 1Password before option to select the 1Password.opvault folder (do not go inside).

• greatgabini
    greatgabini
    Community Member
    Options

Ok do I need to purchase an additional copy of 1Password to make this work? I downloaded 1Password on my Windows PC, and get this screen.

This is not the screen the article you sent said would appear.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @greatgabini,

If you click on Order Later button on the bottom right, does it then show you the locked view?

It is possible 1Password have found your vault already from the Dropbox folder and that's why you see the demo screen already instead of the welcome tour.

As for your license, I checked your email address in our system and I only see a Mac license, you would need to order a separate license to cover your Windows PCs but not at full price as you do get a discount for owning the Mac license. You can purchase it here: https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade

This discussion has been closed.