Why did the beta of 1Password to be uninstalled? [To switch to the new app version]

Options
kevwil
kevwil
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the 1Password vault is my world. With nearly 800 logins stored, the idea of uninstalling just does not sit well. Is there really no way to update the app and reboot, like every other app in existence? Apparently not, and probably for good reason, but still ... not cool.

1Password Version: 2016.6.404u
Extension Version: on windows? I WISH
OS Version: Winblows 10
Sync Type: Families cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@kevwil: First of all, love the monkey! If only I looked that adorable sitting at the computer all day. :tongue:

I have good news for you: If you're using 1Password Families as indicated in your post, your data is stored securely on the server. Deleting the app won't delete your data! Just download the new 1Password 6 beta from the Windows Store here, login to your 1Password Account, and all of your data from your 1Password Families vault(s) will appear.

However, if you're looking for browser integration (and for some reason I suspect you are ;) ), you may want to try the Windows desktop beta of 1Password 6 instead. Extension support is still in its infancy, but it's our top priority currently and we're improving it every day. And again, all you need to do is login to your account to access your data there. Cheers! :)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @kevwil,

What happened is we wanted to switch our versioning scheme from the date-based 2016.x.x to major/minor version 6.x.x but this is not possible to do for the same app in the Windows Store. This required us to re-submit the app as a new app instead of an existing app. Other apps might be be able to reboot as long as they're using the same versioning scheme, like going from 2.0 to 3.0.

In addition, please consider the fact that this is an unstable beta version of a new app, database resets and/or uninstallation requirements do occur often for apps like this and as such, these apps are not to be relied on as your only source of accessing your 1Password data.

This discussion has been closed.