Have a masked field option (Feature Request)

Options
PaulKumagai
PaulKumagai
Community Member

Can you add the option to just mask a field?
I know I can use the field type as password to mask the entry, but then I have the password generate button.
I would like to see something like the Credit Card Verification Number type field.
This will be useful when you save your security questions answers with your password for the given site.

Thanks,

Paul K

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Wi-Fi

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PaulKumagai,

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feature request!

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you're asking for and how it's different than the current options, so I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit:

Can you add the option to just mask a field?

Are you asking for the ability to conceal the contents of any field in an item (so they appear as black dots) instead of doing that for just password fields?

I know I can use the field type as password to mask the entry, but then I have the password generate button.

As you mentioned, you can set a custom field as a 'Password' in order to conceal it (when the Conceal Passwords option is enabled, of course). I'm not sure what the password generator button has to do with that, though. Is that button the difference between the way it currently works and the way you would like it to work? If so, is the password generator button somehow causing a problem for you?

I would like to see something like the Credit Card Verification Number type field.
    This will be useful when you save your security questions answers with your password for the given site.

The credit card verification number field is basically the same thing as a password field, except it doesn't have the password generator button. So it sounds like that's the difference you're looking for?

Thanks in advance! :)

• PaulKumagai
    PaulKumagai
    Community Member
    Options

"The credit card verification number field is basically the same thing as a password field, except it doesn't have the password generator button. So it sounds like that's the difference you're looking for?"

Yes.

The problem with using the password field is the password generation button. I've accidentally hit it before, erased my security question and hit save. I know, I did it to myself and could of hit cancel. Sometimes your fingers have a mind of it own ;)

It would be a nice feature to have.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @PaulKumagai! I see what you mean now. I can't make any promises about if or when we might add that ability, but I can certainly forward your request to our developers to let them know you'd be interested in that.

I'm also curious about how you've accidentally clicked the password generator button - maybe there's something about the way it currently works that we can change/improve so you don't run into a problem like that? Were you unsure what that button was for and clicked on it to figure out what it does? Or were you trying to click on something else near that button? Or did you click the mouse/trackpad by accident and the pointer just happened to be on that button?

We appreciate the feedback, thanks! :)

• PaulKumagai
    PaulKumagai
    Community Member
    Options

If I recall, I had just got my Mac (two years ago) and I was a complete noob on the Mac. I had been using Windows since 3.1, so it was a bit challenging learning the new keyboard and a new OS.

Anyway, I just installed 1Password and was setting up my entries. I believe the version I was using had the reveal button when not in edit mode. I went in to edit mode, and not thinking I click the password generate button thinking that it would reveal my entry. I saw a bunch of random characters and realized I shouldn't have clicked that button.

Instead of clicking cancel, I clicked save... Total Noob move!

Now that I think about it, in the edit mode it is unclear what this button does until you click it.
    When you click on it, your are presented with the Regenerate Password options.
    What you don't realize, by clicking the button you have already regenerated a new password.
    So I guess, but clicking the password button, it shouldn't regenerate a new password but just present the dialog to regenerate a new password.

It is also unclear in the edit mode that you have to click in the password field to view the password.

Maybe it might be beneficial in the edit mode to also create a view or reveal button next to a password field.

Just a thought.

Paul K

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@PaulKumagai, that's excellent feedback, thank you very much! Those are some really good points, and I think you're right that we could make some improvements in that area. In addition to your request for concealable non-password custom fields, I'll gladly send your feedback about the password generator button to our developers.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know about all that - we're always listening to what our customers would like and trying to improve our user experience, so it's very helpful! If you need anything else, be sure to let us know. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-2792
    ref: OPM-1317

This discussion has been closed.