Seroius problem getting Dropbox sync to work... [Resolved, Dropbox's selective sync was the issue]

rafgiz
rafgiz
Community Member
edited July 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Two years ago we tried to get Dropbox sync working, and gave up, kept with Wifi Sync. Today I tried again. This is what I did and what happened (all programs, computers, Ipad, Iphone are completely up-to-date, latest versions):

1. Opened the Windows 1password program, and under Preferences made it move my vault to Dropbox, which it seemed to do; the .ws.agile.1Password.settings file appeared on the Dropbox root
  2. After 30 minutes, the Apps folder still hadn't synced, no 1Password folder.
  3. Ahh, I realized I might have to change the selective sync option in Dropbox; Apps folder now included in selective sync. Dropbox synced. So far so good, I thought.
  4. 1Password folder appeared in the Apps folder, but no Dropbox sync symbol on the folder icon. Sadly a second Apps folder (Conflict with selective sync) also appeared, with a sync symbol.
  5. As per instructions in the 1Password Help section, I moved the 1Password folder from the Conflicted folder to the Original Apps folder and deleted the Conflicted folder.
  6. Opened the Dropbox Selected Sync again: the Apps folder checkbox was unchecked, so checked it again and let Dropbox sync.
  7. This is where I ended up in a loop: Dropbox refuses to sync the Apps folder, each time I try making a Conflicted Apps Folder, and unchecking my choice for selective sync.
  8. When I tried to open 1Password on the desktop, it asked where its vault was. When I directed it to either of the Dropbox agilekeychains, it wouldn't recognize them as vaults. It was quite happy to open from an old local agilekeychain.
  9. So I checked the agilekeychain files in Dropbox: the files in both the original Apps and in the Conflicted Apps folders were 0 bytes, no content....
  10. So I copied the backup of my vault to the original Apps folder, and unzipped it, just to see what would happen. The desktop program now accepted the agilekeychain.
  11. Checked the Selective Sync in Dropbox again and synced
  12. Agilekeychain in the Original Apps folder 0 bytes after syncing; and a conflicted Apps folder was created with an agilekeychain of just 12 bytes (the backup of the vault is 9 MB); selective sync checkbox for the Apps folder unckecked by Dropbox....

This isn't going to work, that much is obvious. Apparently I am missing something, but what?

1Password Version: Windows 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @rafgiz,

Unfortunately, it sounds like Dropbox is confused with what's going on and it keeps choosing the Conflicted Apps folder instead of the actual Apps folder that 1Password is defaulting to.

Try this:

1. Close 1Password, open Dropbox, deselect the Selective Sync option for both the Apps and Conflicted Apps folders
    2. Open Windows File Explorer, got to your Dropbox folder and move the Apps and Conflicted Apps folders to your desktop
    3. Open Dropbox, select the option for Apps folder now. Check in Windows File Explorer that the Apps folder did show up. If it does, add a sample text file in there and see if it shows up on Dropbox.com
    4. If it does, manually move your 1Password.agilekeychain folder in the Apps folder and see if it will work now.
  • rafgiz
    rafgiz
    Community Member

Thanks! That did the trick!
    After I removed both the Apps folders and checked the selective sync checkbox, a fresh App folder appeared containing everything that the old one contained, including a 1Password folder including my most recent agilekeychain...Hmm, no idea where that came from, but happy all the same. The App folder syncs, my Ipad and Iphone and desktop sync with Dropbox, everybody is happy!!

• Hi @rafgiz,

I'm glad you're happy now! Thanks for updating the thread with the results.

This discussion has been closed.