1password 6 Latest Beta will crash 100% on startup

Options
ElmarS
ElmarS
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hey there,

I am running the latest Beta of 1password 6 on Windows 10 and it started crashing consistently on startup. I removed the software and reinstalled it from your webpage but the behavior is identical. I seem to be unable to include a screenshot.

Best,
Elmar

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ElmarS sorry for the trouble, can you please share what you can see in Events Viewer after the crash? I'm interested in error record from ".NET Framework" source, like in this screenshot:

Reinstalling app does not delete your data, if you want to delete your local data you must visit %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password folder and delete 20160514.sqlite file.

Hope that helps :)

• ElmarS
    ElmarS
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hey Sergey, sure thing. Here you go:

Protokollname: Application
    Quelle: .NET Runtime
    Datum: 12.07.16 09:33:57
    Ereignis-ID: 1026
    Aufgabenkategorie:Keine
    Ebene: Fehler

Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend

Beschreibung:
    Anwendung: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe
    Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
    Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.
    Ausnahmeinformationen: System.IO.IOException
    bei System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
    bei System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeServerStream.Create(System.String, System.IO.Pipes.PipeDirection, Int32, System.IO.Pipes.PipeTransmissionMode, System.IO.Pipes.PipeOptions, Int32, Int32, System.IO.Pipes.PipeAccessRights, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES)
    bei System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeServerStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.Pipes.PipeDirection, Int32, System.IO.Pipes.PipeTransmissionMode, System.IO.Pipes.PipeOptions, Int32, Int32, System.IO.Pipes.PipeSecurity, System.IO.HandleInheritability, System.IO.Pipes.PipeAccessRights)
    bei System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeServerStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.Pipes.PipeDirection)
    bei AgileBits.OnePassword.App+<>c.b__7_0()
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
    bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Ereignis-XML:

0x80000000000000

Application
    XXXX

Anwendung: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe
    Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
    Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.
    Ausnahmeinformationen: System.IO.IOException
    bei System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
    bei System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeServerStream.Create(System.String, System.IO.Pipes.PipeDirection, Int32, System.IO.Pipes.PipeTransmissionMode, System.IO.Pipes.PipeOptions, Int32, Int32, System.IO.Pipes.PipeAccessRights, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES)
    bei System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeServerStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.Pipes.PipeDirection, Int32, System.IO.Pipes.PipeTransmissionMode, System.IO.Pipes.PipeOptions, Int32, Int32, System.IO.Pipes.PipeSecurity, System.IO.HandleInheritability, System.IO.Pipes.PipeAccessRights)
    bei System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeServerStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.Pipes.PipeDirection)
    bei AgileBits.OnePassword.App+<>c.<StartCommandThread>b__7_0()
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
    bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

• ElmarS
    ElmarS
    Community Member
    Options

Follow-up. I renamed the complete folder that contains the sqlite file but it still crashes. On startup it will recreate the 1password folder and the diagnostics subfolder but crash right after. So it will not be able to actually recreate the sqllite file. Hope it helps. I am now in quite a bad situation as I depend on this to work as we use Teams. Best, Elmar

• @ElmarS thanks for these logs, the crash happens when app is trying to open an internal comm channel, this is required to support single instance mode (so next attempt to launch 1Password will actually redirect commands to the first instance). You mentioned that it

...it started crashing consistently on startup.

Did it work for you before? Was there any change to the system before crash? Is there any antivirus/antimalware app running or perhaps another copy of AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe is in memory?

Reinstalling won't help to work around this, and this is not related to local database. I'll wrap that auxiliary code to catch this kind of errors and prevent crash, but I'd love to understand more about why it's started. Thank you :)

• @ElmarS I've forgot to ask, are you by any chance running through Terminal Services (Remote Desktop) session? That error is supposed to happen when "The maximum number of server instances has been exceeded.", I'm trying to figure out how come that computer ran out of free slots.

• ElmarS
    ElmarS
    Community Member
    Options

That was the crucial hint. Kaspersky Internet Security classified it as medium secure (for whatever reason). I changed it back to secure and now it starts again. The "funny" thing is though that it worked like a charm for weeks prior to crashing. Maybe you implemented a new network protocol that made Kaspersky reconsider with the latest update? Anyhow - problem solved. Thank you!

• Thanks @ElmarS, we use OS native named pipe to talk between multiple instances of the app. It's surprising why Kaspersky decided to block it, we will make sure 1Password degrade gracefully when it's being blocked :)

• ElmarS
    ElmarS
    Community Member
    Options

You rock

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree. Sergey is truly hard-headed...but in the best possible way. I'm glad he's on our side. :lol:

It sounds like you should be all set now with Kaspersky allowing 1Password to work its magic, but we're here for you if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.