Thinking of getting an individual subscription

Options

Hi, sorry for this one, I cannot find the proper thread with my question/ clarification.

I am currently using the licensed app (iOS and Windows) and is very happy with it. What I need to clarify is after I try the individual subscription and is not happy or satisfied with it, is it possible to return to the previous licensed 1Password app? or what if a time comes that I cannot pay anymore the monthly fee, would it be possible to go back to the previous single license app?

I hope this is clear. :)

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @BiggieBoy,

I just wanted to let you know that I’m moving your post into the Windows forum where you will get better advice from our Windows team. I’m not quite familiar enough with the Windows platform and all the changes that are currently happening there to be able to advise you on moving between a 1Password account and standalone vaults on Windows.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @BiggieBoy,

First, your current licenses does not expire ever. You will always be able to use 1Password 4 for Windows on supported OS versions without worrying about losing it later, the same goes for the data stored in 1Password 4.

For the 1Password.com subscription, right now, 1Password 6 Beta for Windows is the only version that works with 1Password.com subscription and does not yet support standalone licensing, which will be added in the near future.

However, we do not believe in locking you in, so if you're not happy with the subscription, you can change back to previous versions.

The one big gotcha is that 1Password 6 Beta is a beta of a brand new app, it does not have everything implemented just yet, including the ability to export your data. That means, sadly, if you make changes to your 1Password.com account, you can't yet export it to a local vault file that you can use in 1Password 4 for Windows or 1Password 6 licensed when it is available later.

What you can do now, is use the local vault file in 1Password 4 to make changes, open it in 1Password 6 Beta, and manually copy it over to your 1Password account. In other words, don't change data first in 1Password account but make the changes to local vault files first and then migrate it.

If you're really happy with 1Password as is now, my suggestion is to wait until later when 1Password 6 is ready to be used on Windows with full support for local vaults and other features that you'd want to use.

• BiggieBoy
    BiggieBoy
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan Thank you. :)

@MikeT I am thinking of availing the 6-months free subscription but yeah might as well go with your suggestion. Thank you for this one. God bless and more power! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! Let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• BiggieBoy
    BiggieBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty

For example, in this discussion: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64849/i-put-all-my-password-data-in-the-primary-vault-above-family-and-now-the-web-doesnt-see-it#latest

You said that if you add the local primary vault in the 1password.com, this is what it looks like:

All Vaults
    Primary
    Personal
    Shared

How can I still add passwords in this setup? Does it automatically add to the personal vault? what if I decide that I would still go to the local vault in the future, do I need to manually copy-paste the new passwords I put in the personal to the local primary one? Sorry for this one, it sounds crazy but I hope to know before I try anything new in 1Password.

Thank you so much for the patience.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @BiggieBoy,

Please do not apologize for trying to learn, you need to know this stuff because you need to be able to trust your security program that's going to hold a lot of sensitive information. We understand and will do everything we can to help you with this, give us any questions you have, it is what we're here for.

How can I still add passwords in this setup?

When you start adding data, 1Password will ask you which vault you want to be the default vault. Here's the setting:

Note, 1Password 6 Beta does not yet support writing to local vault files, so the setting will only show the vaults stored in your 1Password.com account.

That's why I've mentioned waiting until later when 1Password does have full support for local vault files.

what if I decide that I would still go to the local vault in the future, do I need to manually copy-paste the new passwords I put in the personal to the local primary one?

If we're talking right now, you'd have to use the iOS app to manually copy the item to your local vault, one item at a time.

In the near future, we will add export feature to 1Password 6 Beta, so you can export your vault data from the 1Password account into the local vault file that you can then use to import back into 1Password 4 or other apps you want to use. (You probably guess what I'm about to say again, yep, another reason to wait a bit longer until we implement this)

Also, just to help understand the concept better based on what you saw in the other discussions with primary vault:

1. The local primary vault only exists in the Mac or iOS apps, it doesn't exist in the Windows apps. The primary vault is the first vault you add to the app or the first new vault you set up with, the encryption key (password) for that first vault is then used to encrypt the app's database, we then name it the primary vault. This doesn't happen in the Windows app, so you won't see the primary vault on the list. In addition, for both Mac and iOS apps, when starting out as a fresh install and if you sign in to your 1Password account first, there will be no primary vaults either. Primary vault is a special concept we use to describe what local vault is used to encrypt the internal app's database with, so when you add new local vaults into the app's database, the password to unlock the database remains the same and it is the password of the primary vault. 1Password 4 for Windows read and write to the vault files directly, it doesn't have that primary concept because you need to know each vault's password to unlock. 1Password 6 Beta right now, uses the password of the first vault or account you sign in but does not use the primary vault naming.
    2. You can only import or migrate the content of your local vault files to your 1Password account, you cannot add a local vault file to the 1Password.com account because your 1Password account is one whole database, rather than a file per vault. Each vault is a row in the database linked against a table that holds the data for the row. So to add your local vault file to your 1Password account's database, you have to copy the data or import it into the vault in your 1Password account using the Windows app, so it becomes a part of your account's database.

I hope this helps a bit.

• BiggieBoy
    BiggieBoy
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT A big thank you! this explains a lot. thanks so much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Mike, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

• BiggieBoy
    BiggieBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! Any updates on the 1Password 6? Does it now have full support for local vault files? I am beginning to think again to use the 1Password account option and move to it permanently or shall I wait for a little longer? :)

Also, I noticed this in the iOS app:

What will now happen as I still am a license user, how can I still use my 1Password data to another computer or device if Dropbox will drop their sync option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi! Any updates on the 1Password 6? Does it now have full support for local vault files?

@BiggieBoy: The 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not support local vaults, and this isn't something we're working on currently.

I am beginning to think again to use the 1Password account option and move to it permanently or shall I wait for a little longer? :)

I'd definitely recommend that you check out 1Password.com since that's something that can work for you today. You get a free trial, and if you shoot us an email at support@1password.com wand post your Support ID here, we'll be happy to help you make the transition.

Also, I noticed this in the iOS app: What will now happen as I still am a license user, how can I still use my 1Password data to another computer or device if Dropbox will drop their sync option.

As mentioned in the notes you posted, 1Password for iOS already supports the new Dropbox API, so the only thing you'd need to do is make sure you're up to date. Cheers! :)

• BiggieBoy
    BiggieBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! what happens when I stop paying for the monthly subscription for 1 Password? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BiggieBoy: Your account will be frozen, which means that you won't be able to make changes to the data. However, you'll still be able to access it so you can export it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.