How do I change a login password?

I recently upgraded from 1Password 3 to 6. I use it on a Mac at home and Windows at work, sync via DropBox. I have installed the browser plugins on both Windows and Mac.

At the moment I'm using Windows.

I changed my password in a particular website. In the days of 1Password 3, the browser extension would automatically offer to save my password. But after the upgrade, it didn't do that. So I tried to manually update the password using the desktop app. But after locating the login in the 1Password 6 desktop app, the "Edit" button is grayed out. The login details still show the old password. How do I change the password for a login? Why is the "Edit" button not working?

-Ron.

1Password Version: 6.0.183d
Extension Version: 4.5.8.90
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:How do I change a login password?

Comments

• Hi @rpieket,

You're using 1Password 6 Beta, which is a beta build of a brand new application that doesn't have everything implemented. Right now, it does not support auto-save, which would also do the Update Login prompt. 1Password 6 Beta only does basic filling with the existing Login items you have in your 1Password database.

In addition, 1Password 6 Beta only offers read-only support for local vault files, it has full editing support for the 1Password.com accounts only. We plan to add full support later this year for the local vault files.

For now, if you need to edit your local vault files, you'll have to use 1Password 4 stable for Windows from here: http://agilebits.com/downloads

• rpieket
    rpieket
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. I actually tried to use 1Password 4, but it asks for a license key. I can run 1Password 4 in trial mode, but then it tells me I can't have more than 20 items. I tried running my old 1Password 3, but then it says it's not compatible.

Do I need to purchase a license key for 1Password 4 (in addition to my 1Password 6 subscription) in order to be able work on Windows?

• Hi @rpieket,

I'll send you a private message about that.

• rpieket
    rpieket
    Community Member

You're using 1Password 6 Beta,

Technically it's Alpha, since it is not feature complete.
    I did not see a download link for the last released version of 1Password for Windows.

I'm actually quite upset that you take my money and then deliver unfinished software.

I would appreciate it if you make the alpha nature of the Windows client clear on the purchase page, and offer the user a choice of downloads: latest fully functional version or Alpha.

-Ron.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

Technically it's Alpha, since it is not feature complete. I did not see a download link for the last released version of 1Password for Windows.

@rpieket: I'm not sure I follow. Traditionally "alpha" and "beta" designations refer to the relative stability of software, but of course different people have different views on this.

However, by your definition of "alpha", no version of 1Password is "feature complete" and has never made it past that stage because we are always adding new features! I think that's an important distinction.

I'm actually quite upset that you take my money and then deliver unfinished software.

If you do not feel that 1Password is worth your money, we wouldn't ask you to pay for it. That's why we offer a free trial (as well as some pretty nice promotions from time to time). But if there's anything we can do to help, shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll see what we can do for you.

I would appreciate it if you make the alpha nature of the Windows client clear on the purchase page, and offer the user a choice of downloads: latest fully functional version or Alpha.

It isn't our intention to deceive anyone by calling it "beta", and frankly calling it "alpha" would be truly misleading, because so many people are enjoying using it every day — ourselves included. That's not to say it's finished. It isn't. But I say that to illustrate that, as someone who has tested legitimate alpha software, 1Password and otherwise, it's really a far cry from that. We have a lot of work to do, but I don't think that presenting it as something unusably crashy (which has always been my experience with alphas) does anyone any good. :(

This discussion has been closed.