Why sign up for a 1Password membership?

Options
melvynadam
melvynadam
Community Member
edited April 2017 in Lounge

I have a license for 1Password on my two computers (one is MacOS and the other is Windows) and my two mobile devices (iPhone and iPad).
I'm perfectly happy and think it's the best password management tool I've ever had. I've also paid for the "Pro features" on my mobile devices.

Yesterday I saw the announcement about the new subscription service and how it's going to cost $2.99 a month (after the initial free six months).

So I've been trying to assess whether it makes sense for me to embrace Agilebits' new business model and make the switch either for me as an individual or for my entire family.

The benefits as explained on the site however don't seem (to me) to be very significant:

• web access on 1Password.com - I'm not interested in web access to my vault
  • automatic syncing - I've already got this via Dropbox
  • item history - This also already exists in the local apps. (Or at least it did - I can't find it right now. Was it removed when this new subscription model was announced?)
  • secure sharing with family members - Interesting but only relevant for the $4.99 plan not the $2.99 personal plan
  • and several other features will not be available to those who purchase a license - Kinda needs elaboration :)

So, as someone who has fully licensed, syncing, and working versions of 1Password 6, why would I take on a new monthly expense? Not asking out of spite: I genuinely want to know if there's a killer feature I've missed and would benefit from.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

@melvynadam: Great questions! Until now (with the subscription services), item history has been out of reach for 1Password. I suspect what you're thinking of is password history. An individual Login item in a local vault will keep a record of previously used passwords, but nothing else.

The item history feature in 1Password Accounts applies to all changes made to any item. It's just the tip of the iceberg in what is for me the most important feature of 1Password Accounts: automatic offsite backup. Most people will never think about this, which is beautiful I think. No one should have to worry about losing data, and with a 1Password Account you can go back to a previous version, recover deleted items, and in general sleep better at night knowing that your most important data is redundant and versioned. Hopefully you never have to care about this, but if ever you do it's a lifesaver.

While Dropbox may be sufficient (I've used it for years myself), what it isn't is automatic. You have to think about it, set it up on each device individually, make sure you're syncing with the correct vault(s), and all sorts of other minor hiccups that happen due to sync failure or device deauthorization. That probably sounds ridiculous to you as a power user, but most people aren't interested in thinking about these things.

Automatic syncing with a 1Password Account involves a single step on each device: you login. Most people won't even think of this as having anything to do with sync; they're just logging in to access their data. People shouldn't have to think about this if they don't want to. It should just work. And while you and I may love us some Dropbox, it was designed for a much broader set of applications, and it's more than most people need or want when they're just trying to access their passwords.

Now, a 1Password Account may not appeal to you as a longtime 1Password power user who has everything working the way you want already. But the other huge non-web, non-sync related benefit is, if nothing else, never having to deal with licenses, upgrade, or worry about platform support. Everything is included. It may not be important to you now, but down the road you may feel differently. I encourage you to try it for free and then you'll know for sure. Even if it doesn't make sense for you today, in the future you may find that the many benefits are more appealing, and then you'll know. :)

• rumplestiltskin
    rumplestiltskin
    Community Member
    Options

So, brenty, I'm in the same boat as melvynadam, more or less. I have a 1Password license from a Parallels bundle (for my Mac) and another license for my PC. I am also using 1Password on my Android phone. I see the app's data being updated when I change/add/delete anything on my Mac or my PC (and see the changes reflected on my phone even though I'm using the Android version as "read-only" (free). Will there come a day when everything will stop working with the (presumably) perpetual licenses on my Mac and PC? As my license purchases were fairly recent (March for the Parallels bundle version, June for the PC version), might there be an "upgrade" plan for those who purchased licenses and now might want to convert over to the subscription plan? In my case, it appears that the only benefits I would see are:
    1. An Android version that is "read/write" instead of read only.
    2. No need for Dropbox syncing (as, if I understand this correctly, Agilebits would now do the syncing through its servers?).

Do I have this correct? Thanks very much.

Barry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Will there come a day when everything will stop working with the (presumably) perpetual licenses on my Mac and PC? As my license purchases were fairly recent (March for the Parallels bundle version, June for the PC version), might there be an "upgrade" plan for those who purchased licenses and now might want to convert over to the subscription plan?

@rumplestiltskin: It will really depend on the situation, but we like to help where we can. The best thing to do is shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll see if there's something we can do for you. However, eep in mind that we probably can't do better than the free 6 month promotion we're running for the individual plan right now. :lol:

As far as "stop working", as a worst case scenario, if people simply stop buying licenses, stop using the apps, and use only the website to access their 1Password data, we won't have much incentive to continue pouring resources into them.

But keep in mind that this is pretty crazy scenario for a few reasons: web apps are nice, but they just aren't as nice as native; and before such time as my apocalyptic vision takes place, the app you have a license for today will simply stop working due to hardware or software changes. That's just inevitable, and has no bearing on "subscription versus license" since you'd probably need to buy a new license for a compatible version anyway. Subscribers won't have to worry about that though.

In my case, it appears that the only benefits I would see are:
    1. An Android version that is "read/write" instead of read only.
    2. No need for Dropbox syncing (as, if I understand this correctly, Agilebits would now do the syncing through its servers?).
    Do I have this correct? Thanks very much.

You're on the right track! Obviously what is an important feature for you may not be as compelling to me, and vice versa. But as someone who has experienced catastrophic data loss (i.e. no backup and no means of recovery), the fact that I can not only grab a previous version of an item if I need to but all of my data if needed without having to ever think twice about it is huge. If you haven't been there, this may not seem very sexy.

But otherwise, it's great that it gives you access to all of the apps (including web), all upgrades, and does away with licenses and sync configuration completely — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. I think those are some pretty "in you face" features that anyone can appreciate once they've tried it. :)

• escada
    escada
    Community Member
    Options

The reason I chose and purchased 1Password Pro, is the fact that I could keep all my passwords secure on my own systems and not a server under someone else's control. How will I know when a future update will affect the current version/setup I have? I am not used to having to worry about whether an update will affect my paid for version. If Agilebits' new business model is going in the direction of a subscription service (I vaguely remember addressing this same stance some years ago). If my memory serves me correctly you all just hit a 10 year milestone! I surely hope that you will continue to support those of us that do not want our password information residing on some server. I have hade nothing but praise for 1Password and have sent many friends your way. At the moment I am not feeling very comfortable about my 1Password apps future!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The reason I chose and purchased 1Password Pro, is the fact that I could keep all my passwords secure on my own systems and not a server under someone else's control. How will I know when a future update will affect the current version/setup I have?

@escada: I'm not sure what kind of scenario you're imagining, but you can continue using the version whose license you purchased indefinitely. The license doesn't expire, and you can stick with the same release you're using now if it serves your needs. You don't have to update if you don't want to. However, if you want new features that are included in a newer version, obviously that's a decision you'll have to make.

I am not used to having to worry about whether an update will affect my paid for version. If Agilebits' new business model is going in the direction of a subscription service (I vaguely remember addressing this same stance some years ago). If my memory serves me correctly you all just hit a 10 year milestone! I surely hope that you will continue to support those of us that do not want our password information residing on some server. I have hade nothing but praise for 1Password and have sent many friends your way. At the moment I am not feeling very comfortable about my 1Password apps future!

Thank you so much for your kind words and (it sounds like) longtime support! I'm not sure what else to tell you other than we still love you. We help folks every day on old versions of 1Password, and many people who haven't yet purchased a license. We don't care who you are or how and why you're a 1Password user. As far as we're concerned, we're on the same team: we all want 1Password to continue to be awesome.

If there are specific concerns you have, don't hesitate to ask! After all, that's what this discussion is about. But I'm not sure that we can do much to ease vague discomfort besides continue developing, testing, and supporting 1Password for all of our awesome customers. I think we have a pretty good track record there, so I'd like to hope that counts for something...but we're committed to proving that continually by our actions. It's what we do, and we're grateful to be doing it. Cheers! :)

• Penage
    Penage
    Community Member
    Options

I know you've consistently stated that people can continue to use the standalone versions, and the following comments are not something you've not heard before (hmmm, I think the double negative in that sentence worked), but I did want to add my two cents.

Please, for the sake of us single users, keep the standalone version around and please keep updating it as appropriate. My reasons include:

• I really want to keep all my 1Password data on my local devices, syncing through WiFi, and not trust them to anybody's cloud.

• Everything still works if I lose Internet connectivity

• It's just me and my laptop, tablet and phone. I really don't need any of the team, family or cloud features.

• I'm getting weary of all the monthly subscriptions I have now, and the list keeps growing. For certain software, like 1Password, I much prefer the buy once model and upgrade if necesssary down the road. I'm having subscription overload.

• If something (however unlikely) happens to the company I need to know I can still keep using the software. I'm still using a journaling software I bought for OSX a long time ago, even though the guy stopped updating it at least 5 years ago. It just works and it's all I need.

Anyway, still a huge fan of the software and your company and will continue to recommend 1Password to whoever asks.

Cheers,

Jim

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jim ( @Penage ),

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! You’re right, we have heard this request from other users, and I promise you, we are listening. I’ll make sure to share your feedback with our team.

• adrian12345
    adrian12345
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to echo everything Penage said as his needs are identical to my own. I already started another thread related to this topic (though Penage summarized it more succinctly), but what I am getting is a distinct vibe of insecurity from current holders of stand-alone licenses. What I'm gathering is the feeling that you're moving away from support for those licenses and that their product will decrease in quality as time moves on. This is demonstrated in your "pricing" page that doesn't even feature the ability to buy a standalone license, and if I want that it seems I would have to purchase it through the apple store.

In no uncertain terms, is the stand-alone license the old and dusty toy that is being tossed aside in favor of the shiny new toy that is the online account model? I'm very concerned because the subscription model is not a good fit for me, and I don't want to drop $65 on what ultimately turns out to be an inferior product a couple years down the line.

I have gone through the forums for the last couple weeks, and though Agilebits Team Members are quite good at responding to posts, there is an extraordinary amount of ambiguity that you are not addressing in terms of

a) Where your business is going
    b) The status of current holders of stand-alone licenses,
    c) What they can expect from future tech support and updates for their desktop clients

Thank you,
    Adrian

• longtimeuser42
    longtimeuser42
    Community Member
    Options

I guess the point is that the absolute value of your standalone value will stay the same for a while. It may stop working when new versions of the operating systems arrive or when you use newer hardware. From the replies it sounds as if new 1Password versions will only be available for subscription users.
    The relative value as compared with the newest version will decrease.
    No hard feelings here. But to me the change towards a subscription model is quite a big price increase. Would I buy new stand alone licenses for over 30Dollars per year for a password keeper even if it is as nice as 1Password? For me the answer is no. Sorry Guys.
    Also, even before the subscription announcement I have asked myself wether I really need all that fancy stuff for keeping my passwords in sync in an apple only environment. There are other software solutions that are not that bad(automatic syncing of preferred wifi logins across devices anyone?).
    Once my standalone version is not updated anymore and stops working I will probably not be a 1Password customer anymore.

• omfsm
    omfsm
    Community Member
    Options

So 1Password has been out for about a decade. You really don't like their new subscription pricing? Man, so confusing as they say that their customers 'love it'.. For me though, I can't remember writing Agile Bits asking for them to add a $3 or $5 charge to my credit card (forever)... Maybe some of you other customers did..

So, do I want to pay $600 for password software over the next 10 years? Um, nope - no I certainly do not.

Great move running your ship into an iceberg.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

I'll try to address as many of these points as I can.

• We do feel that, especially for folks who aren't particularly technical, the subscription offering is a better offering for most customers (certainly there will still be a number who prefer a license). Not having to manually set up syncing and sharing is a huge boon. As such we are strongly pushing new users toward the subscription offerings. But licenses are still available.
    • Our current position is that as long as folks continue to purchase licenses we'll continue to sell them. Hopefully the folks that are passionate about the ability to purchase a license will vote with their wallet and support that business model. But I think we'll find both options can co-exist.
    • Nothing has really changed for license holders. If you don't want the features offered by the new services we're not forcing anyone to switch over. We've had subscription services for almost a year now. All along we've been continuing to improve the apps.
    • The same apps are used for subscription accounts as for licensed downloads. As such license holders will continue to benefit from improvements we make to the apps themselves, just as has always been the case. There are some things we can only do with our subscription service because we control the data storage. This makes things like easier sharing possible. We can't share over iCloud, for example, it just simply isn't a feature of the CloudKit platform.
    • The subscription service is a subscription because there are recurring costs to us for offering it. As such it only makes business sense to also have a recurring cost to customers. It just wouldn't be viable otherwise. We want AgileBits to continue to be a profitable business for a long time to come so that we can continue to deliver the level of quality in service and software that people have come to expect from us. In order to do that we need to price our products and services at a level that makes AgileBits sustainable.

I hope that answers some of the questions and addresses some of the concerns that are out there.

Thanks!

Ben

• omfsm
    omfsm
    Community Member
    Options

Ben:

So you're saying that the subscription model is easier technically than just buying the software once.... for syncing.. Cool - and here I jadedly thought it might be because you'll only make the cover price of the app and upgrades vs $600 on recurring billing over the next 10 years. Silly me.

I don't know - when I go to Agile Bits site Ben, I no longer see the ability to purchase stand-alone product - I just see the subscription model. Maybe it's there once you do the trial (dunno) but surely isn't on your homepage. If I were a new user I would assume you only offered subscription, so they're surely not weighted the same (at least in your marketing).

Nothing has changed for license holders, yet.. You forgot the 'yet'.

Again - $600 for a password app over 10 years? No thanks.

• Ben
    Options

So you're saying that the subscription model is easier technically

I'm not sure there is even any argument there, but I'd be happy to hear it if you think there is.

so they're surely not weighted the same (at least in your marketing).

I'm not arguing that. As I pointed out:

As such we are strongly pushing new users toward the subscription offerings. But licenses are still available.

We're definitely focusing new users where we feel their attention should be focused: on our subscription offerings. That said, we'll still happily sell someone a license if that is what they want. From our pricing page:

Pricing - 1Password

:)

Again - $600 for a password app over 10 years? No thanks.

1Password is $3/mo for an individual, which if you expand that out over 10 years works out to $360. That is over 10 years. I think it is easier to see the value when looking at the cost per day, vs the cost per 10 year period. $0.10/day for the convenience, security, and level of protection afforded by 1Password? A no-brainer for me. But everyone has a different value for their money and I think it is only fair that each individual look at the value 1Password provides to them. Is it worth $0.10/day to you? That isn't for me to say.

If you're talking about 1Password Families: the cost is $5/mo for up to 5 people, which is an even better value. $0.03ish per person per day if you've got all 5 of the included spots filled (or $120/person/10 yrs if you find it easier to see value in 10 yr increments).

But as I've mentioned a few times we still offer licenses. If you prefer that option you're welcome to stick with it. Choose whichever works better for you.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

By the way - I am a very happy user of the subscription model (1Password for Families).

Thanks for saying so @Bernfrin!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

@omfsm, @longtimeuser42: I'm not sure where you're coming up with these numbers. An individual plan is nearly the same price annually as an upgrade, and includes all of the apps. If you only need the desktop version, you can save a few bucks. But that's really splitting hairs that I no longer have. :lol:

@Penage, @adrian12345: I just wanted to mention one thing in case it helps put all of this into perspective: we really, really don't want to have to maintain two apps for each platform — one for subscriptions and one for licenses — so we're absolutely committed to improving the apps we've got...and everyone benefits from that.

And we have also always supported all of our customers. I don't think there are many people who can still run 1Password versions 1 and 2, but I regularly help folks on version 3, and that came out in 2009. So long as we're in business, that's what you can expect from us — and offering a subscription model for folks who prefer its benefits helps make that possible too. Cheers! :)

• karlegas
    karlegas
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I think the real problem is that AgileBits are not thinking in their loyal license clients, what is the difference with the suscription user, I got 6 months free like them?

I paid my license since 1Password 3 and every certain time that you change of version with the new OSX, I will keep continue paying but this transition model will be more attractive if you give me 1 year of service free or any big difference with the new comers I will switch right away.

Or is true we gave our money and now you are trying we will give more but without considerate that we need any incentive to pay in a very short term for your new service model.

Personally I don't like the idea of have my vault on the cloud, that was I didn't purchase LastPass and the problems that has with that. I want stay with 1Password but not burned in the intent.

@karlegas

• Ben
    Options

@karlegas,

The last paid upgrade for 1Password was in 2013. So if you want to look at it like that you have had a few years of free upgrades. v5 and v6 were both major upgrades and included for free -- not to mention the numerous updates we've provided. :)

Ben

• omfsm
    omfsm
    Community Member
    Options

"The last paid upgrade for 1Password was in 2013. So if you want to look at it like that you have had a few years of free upgrades. v5 and v6 were both major upgrades and included for free -- not to mention the numerous updates we've provided."

Wow! For a $50 password app we got free upgrades as well??!!
    Don't tell Apple you're doing free upgrades.. O wait.. doh!

I paid for the 2013 one - I wouldn't call anything since then 'major'.

• Ben
    Options

I paid for the 2013 one - I wouldn't call anything since then 'major'.

Okay. I think the history speaks for itself:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4

Ben

• aviatemp
    aviatemp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave

I have been a longtime supporter of both the OSX and iOS versions of 1Password and have also left very favourable reviews on both, as well as providing word of mouth recommendations which have resulted in many friends, family and colleagues purchasing your apps.

I also used to use an application called LogTen Pro (pilot's logbook) and was a big supporter of this (both iOS and OSX versions) until they foolishly switched over to a subscription only model, with no option for standalone versions or support for previous versions.

LogTen Pro was the premier pilots logbook application across all Apple platforms, but it is now a shadow of its former self. The star rating for all versions of the app has declined from 5 stars to 2 stars for the OSX version and 2 ½ stars for the iOS version (as of today). There was no option to continue using the standalone versions, and it was clearly apparent that the switch in "business model" was primarily a money grabbing exercise, one which seems to have failed miserably. Many pilots like myself spend upwards of $180 on the various iterations of the app only to be left in the lurch by an excessively greedy company. The negative publicity (which continues to this day in the form of negative reviews), far outshadowed any positive marketing attempted by Corradine. Another significant aspect of the decline was where previously happy pilot customers (like me) used to recommend the application to colleagues, now we actively discourage everyone possible from wasting their money.

As you can gather from the above, I am vehemently opposed to changing from stand alone to subscription model applications, where no consideration is given to existing customers who supported and elevated the company to its current lofty market position.

So, in conclusion, I really hope for both your company and loyal customers sake that you continue to produce supported stand alone options of 1Password alongside the new idea.

Regards

Mike

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

@aviatemp: Noted! And in fact we're doing neither: we're not producing a subscription app in lieu of a standalone app or vice versa; we're producing a single app for each platform that works for all of our customers. Unless everyone stops buying standalone licenses because we now also offer subscriptions (ironic?) we have no plans to stop offering either. Cheers! :)

• aviatemp
    aviatemp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the speedy reply Brent.
    Good to know.
    1Password is probably my most useful paid app and the one I have been using the longest.
    I will continue to be an enthusiastic supporter as long as you keep supporting the stand alone versions.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your longtime support! We're delighted to continue to offer standalone licenses for folks who prefer them. :)

Have a fantastic rest of your week!

• Kaffeepause
    Kaffeepause
    Community Member
    Options

I totally decline subscriptions for software. During the last two years I got rid of all software which changed business model to subscription and replaced the apps with these I could buy regular licenses for. So the subscription companies don't earn any money from me and lost me as their customers.

I use 1Password since version 3, I purchased in 2009 and since then I payed for every upgrade (and also bought a license as gift for my brother). The periods between these upgrades fit absolutely to my budget. So if AgileBits will keep the possibility to buy regular licenses or upgrade my regular licenses, I will pay these upgrades in the future and continue to support and recommend the app to friends and colleagues.

Here are my thoughts why I refuse subscriptions for software:

• Subscribing one after the other software would give in sum a very high monthly or yearly ammount, which would blast my budget.
    • Changing to subscription would undermine my trust in the investments i made into the software.
    • Subscription steals my sovereignty to decide when I do my investments into software. I think, that only I decide when I upgrade a software and do the investment. At the moment the money is available I pay for software upgrades. Subscription does not care about this in any case. Subscription Company can raise prices for subscription without having to give an equivalent value in their software.
    • If I can't afford the subscription fee, I can't continue using the software and all work I invested into this software is dead and lost.
    • I understand very well that the developers need a continious income and therefore I'll continue to pay for upgrades (I don't have any unpaid software). But I fear as soon as the money comes automatically, the motivation for ongoing development (e. g. bug fixing, adding new functions, innovation etc.) will decrease. (I notice slower development at some software with subscription models and I'm happy that I have replaced these as early as possible).
    • If the company ceases business (or development of the software) I can't continue to use the software and can't access the data made with the software. So all the work of the past to create the data is worthless. (I'm keeping old versions of my purchased software for backwards compatibility).
    • Subscription models for the most part force to use any cloud services. Like others here I have big concerns about giving my data out of my control and I decide carefully consedered which data I store in a cloud. Also the concerns about loss of internet connectivity are very important for me.

I do not think and say all these points apply to AgieBits. But no one of the subscription companies was able to destroy all of my concerns and points why I decline subsciptions for software.

I use two applications with the following model: I purchased an unlimited license. From the 2nd year of use I pay an very affordable amount for getting updates for one year (the updates contain new features in the most cases). With this model I decide when I pay this amount and this considers my sovereignty for purchases, but can continue using the software as long as it is compatible with the OS. So this is a good compromise between the need of income for the developer and my sovereignty of investment decisions (and it keeps the developer working at the software ;-)). This model fits for some, not all kind of software but on the whole I prefer regular licenses and pay for upgrades.

Sorry for the bulk of text but it was my personal concern to explain my arguments in detail.

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member
    Options

There is a case for both subscription and one-time purchase models. I use both. For streaming media such as Netflix or Apple music, I'm fine with paying for a subscription. For software, I'm currently trying both models, and so far I like the one-time purchase model. As other have said, I like hosting my own data, deciding when I spend or don't spend money to keep my budget under control. I'm doing well financially right now, but there have been times in the past (twice, housing bubble was one of the causes ) where I lost everything I owned. I was very glad that my computer and software continued to work at no cost when I was wondering how to keep a roof over my head. Getting Internet access took some work to get for free back then, but I managed.

The subscription model, overall, can be likened to death by a thousand cuts. $3 here, $5 here, does not seem like much until your doing it for 30 programs, your media, your home security system, etc. It because overwhelming then.

I can't say how things will play out, but some type of compromise need to be reached. Whether that is supporting separate product lines, having a free Web version and a paid version ala YouNeedABudget's Free/Paid Web budgeting application, or something completely different.

The offline access is a must for me as well. I was just at music festival last weekend in the Utah sand flats. There was no cellular data signal there. But I was able to still use Instagram for pictures of things I wanted to remember, 1Password to log into local apps, and so on. If 1Password had stopped working at the same time my phone's cellular signal stopped, I would have been in heap of trouble.

There are types of data that are not critical, but the type of data that 1Password is designed to store - passwords, lock combinations, credit card info, and more - can be critical. It should stress availability. Youtube's mobile app..not so important :)

• Bronwen224466
    Bronwen224466
    Community Member
    Options

I currently have the stand alone apps on my mac, and iOS (pro version). I am tempted by the new individual subscription, but am still not sure I want to put my passwords in the cloud. It would be easier, but I worry about unforeseen security issues. So my question is, if I sign up for the free 6 month trial period, and decide I don't want to continue it, can I easily go back to the stand alone apps? Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

I totally decline subscriptions for software. During the last two years I got rid of all software which changed business model to subscription and replaced the apps with these I could buy regular licenses for. So the subscription companies don't earn any money from me and lost me as their customers.

@Kaffeepause: Then it's a good thing we didn't "change" to the subscription model. ;)

I use 1Password since version 3, I purchased in 2009 and since then I payed for every upgrade (and also bought a license as gift for my brother). The periods between these upgrades fit absolutely to my budget. So if AgileBits will keep the possibility to buy regular licenses or upgrade my regular licenses, I will pay these upgrades in the future and continue to support and recommend the app to friends and colleagues.

That's so great to hear! Thank you for your long-time support, and your willingness to continue to do so as we continue to offer a license option. That's why we're doing it: because we know folks like you want to support us in that way! :love:

You also make some salient points about subscriptions in general. There's definitely a perception that recurring revenue is guaranteed, but that's not really the case. If we get "cozy" with the revenue stream and don't continue to provide value for our subscribers, we will quickly not have them any longer. We're also glad that subscriptions may allow us to do even more than we could before. For example, during "non-upgrade" years, we rely solely on new customers for our income.

While the license model has its benefits, I'm not sure that's necessarily a healthy state of affairs. I think it's better to have income from both old and new customers, otherwise there's greater incentive to get new people and not focus as much on existing customers, often power-users. And keep in mind that there are plenty of companies out there that seem to make their money on an app and then largely ignore it — and their customers — once the money is in the bank. We try to focus on customers — whether license or subscription holders — to help us avoid either of those perils. We love what we do, and the only way we can hope to continue to do this is by making people happy. Software ain't easy. ;)

And finally, while you miss out on some of the benefits of a 1Password Account if you don't use the hosting, you can totally use it as a means to get a good deal on all of the apps, and just use local vaults. Even with a 1Password Account, data is cached locally, but apart from authorizing devices, you can stay offline for the most part if you want to.

I do not think and say all these points apply to AgieBits. But no one of the subscription companies was able to destroy all of my concerns and points why I decline subsciptions for software. [...] Sorry for the bulk of text but it was my personal concern to explain my arguments in detail.

No need to apologize! I enjoyed reading it, and I will totally admit that I can directly relate to most of your points, and at the very least appreciate where you're coming from with the others. I'm glad you took the time to explain! I think you're 100% right to be skeptical any time you're about to spend a bunch of your hard-earned money. I do no less myself. It's our job to allay your concerns not only with words, but also — most importantly — with our actions. That's part of the reason we want to offer both licenses and subscriptions. I think that 10 years of supporting you and all of our wonderful customers is evidence of this commitment, but each day is an opportunity to continue the "streak" and do right by all of you.

Stay awake. Stay awesome. <3

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There is a case for both subscription and one-time purchase models. I use both. [...] The subscription model, overall, can be likened to death by a thousand cuts. $3 here, $5 here, does not seem like much until your doing it for 30 programs, your media, your home security system, etc. It because overwhelming then.

@komrad: I think you've just summed up not only subscriptions, but modern society in general. The more I take a hard look at what I'm spending and what's really important, the more I realize there's often a disconnect there. We all need to be circumspect when it comes to our bottom line. 1Password is, for me, an invaluable tool, but were I a single, Mac-only guy, I'd almost certainly stick with my standalone license over a subscription. The tool for the job. :)

The offline access is a must for me as well. [...] There are types of data that are not critical, but the type of data that 1Password is designed to store - passwords, lock combinations, credit card info, and more - can be critical. It should stress availability. Youtube's mobile app..not so important :)

Amen! I just spent a couple days without internet while traveling (not on purpose), and it's a little creepy to realize just how much I depend on connectivity. I managed, but man was it a relief to get back online. Fortunately, 1Password worked just fine to access all of the information. We definitely don't want to give that up, which is why even 1Password Accounts cache data locally. Relief.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I currently have the stand alone apps on my mac, and iOS (pro version). I am tempted by the new individual subscription, but am still not sure I want to put my passwords in the cloud. It would be easier, but I worry about unforeseen security issues. So my question is, if I sign up for the free 6 month trial period, and decide I don't want to continue it, can I easily go back to the stand alone apps? Thank you.

@Bronwen224466: Yes! When you sign up you can migrate your data to your 1Password Account...and then if you decide not to subscribe, you just need to do the same in the opposite direction. We don't lock you out of your data. Even a frozen account can be accessed to view, export, and copy your data.

Regarding security, when you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally and your Master Password is never transmitted and only known by you, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have! :)

This discussion has been closed.