Syncing in the wrong direction

My iPhone 1Password is overriding my desktop 1Password when I sync via Dropbox. I want it to work the other way -- that when I make changes on my desktop, they're synced over to my iPhone.

Also, I've lost all the recent changes to my log-ins on my Win 10 laptop because of this; can I restore?

1Password Version: 4.60.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 1511
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@christiekeith: I'm sorry for the trouble! Dropbox sync bidirectionally, but often if there's a data/time discrepancy that can confuse things and make the server think the wrong data set is newer. Consequently, date and time settings would be the first thing I'd check. Make sure these match between devices.

And most importantly, you shouldn't have "lost" anything in 1Password for Windows since it automatically saves backups of your data. Just save a backup of your data in 1Password for iOS (just in case) and then restore 1Password for Windows using a backup before you encountered the issue with sync:

1Password backups

Do you have data in 1Password for iOS that you need, or would it be simpler to reinstall the app and then sync your newly restored data from 1Password for Windows? Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• christiekeith
    christiekeith
    Community Member

Thanks for responding.

The time settings on both devices are correct.

I never make changes on 1Password for iOS; they are only made on Windows. What's happened here somehow is that I made changes on Windows, and noticed well over 24 hours later they weren't reflected on iOS.

So I asked it to sync, and instead of it getting the newer data from my laptop and copying it to my phone as I expected, it overwrote the data on my laptop with the older data from my phone.

I'll try a restore on Windows now as you suggest, but any thoughts on why that happened even though the time settings on both my phone and my laptop are correct?

Does just opening a secure note or login in iOS signal it as "newer" for a sync?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@christiekeith: Unfortunately I can only speculate what could have caused Dropbox to push the older data. We don't have a great deal of insight into how the Dropbox servers manage things. It usually just works. It may be worthwhile to contact Dropbox, as they'd likely have a better idea of what's going on there.

As far as the 1Password end of things, viewing an item won't cause it to be updated, although editing and saving will. These are actual files stored in Dropbox, so it will (or should) be no different than when you edit a document there: the changes are picked up by the Dropbox client, sent to the server, and then the server syncs the new version to your other devices. There definitely shouldn't be 24 lag unless there's a serious network issue...or date/time discrepancies, which seem to be the most common source of these types of problems.

The other thing I'll mention is that even if the date and time match, the time zone will matter. You probably checked that already, but I wanted to mention it explicitly since I didn't last time.

This discussion has been closed.