Seamless access from computers with no "admin" privileges

lem
lem
Community Member
edited August 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I decided to dip my toes into password managers yesterday, and 1Password was the first I tried. I've already encountered a problem which may lead to me abandoning it, but I figured I would reach out first. My problem is that I do not have administrator privileges from my work computers. In my searching, it seems this issue has been brought up countless times, however the solution most often provided is no longer an option (1PasswordAnywhere, DropBox). Assuming a non-cooperative IT department, what are my options for seamless, integrated functionality besides relying on the 1Password webpage access, or paying for Teams/Family?

Edit: I use Windows PC's (Win 7, 10), and Apple smartphones.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lem: 1Password 4 which uses local (non 1Password.com) vaults requires admin privileges to install (and for each update) for registry access and integrating with Internet Explorer, and that will not change. On the other hand, a 1Password Account can be accessed through the browser (which allows it to be used in many restrictive environments) and also 1Password 6 — the native app built to support the subscription service, currently in beta — is planned to be usable without admin privileges as well.

You may also want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps and do away with licenses and sync configuration — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

And currently we're offering 6 months free for an individual plan, so that will give you ample opportunity to see if it meets your needs — and to let us know if there are specific things you'd like us to add to better meet your needs in the future. :)

• lem
    lem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I actually did sign up for the 1Password subscription yesterday, taking advantage of the promotional period entirely by chance.

1Password 6 is what I believe I installed on my home computer. While it seemed apparent that it was far from a polished, final product, it did seem to get the job done quite well. Knowing that it will eventually be usable without admin privileges is exactly what I wanted to hear. You've given me hope that, after setting up and familiarizing myself with 1Password, I will be able to use it as intended at some point down the road. This would make using the webpage interface while at work an option to consider for the meantime. That said, I now have two questions: 1) Is there a timeline for when this functionality is planned to be implemented? 2) Is there a way for current users to be notified of updates to the already-installed 1Password 6?

Ninja Edit: Also, I was currently looking into whether or not there is any kind of additional James Bond type of stuff I can do with 1Password. For example, have a key/token on a flash drive, which is required to be plugged into the machine for 1Password access to be granted. (I'd settle for 2FA via temp mobile codes)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lem: Glad I could help! :chuffed:

Is there a timeline for when this functionality is planned to be implemented?

We don't have a timeline, and we're focused on browser integration right now. But we definitely realize that this is important to a lot of users — especially in a business environment. And that's actually the hurdle: 1Password needs to access the registry currently to be able to register itself to talk to the browser extensions. But it's a problem we're working on.

Is there a way for current users to be notified of updates to the already-installed 1Password 6?

We don't have notifications currently, but it's something we'll be looking at as the app matures. Right now, 1Password 6 will check for updates when you launch it. But it would absolutely be more convenient to get updates on the fly.

Ninja Edit: Also, I was currently looking into whether or not there is any kind of additional James Bond type of stuff I can do with 1Password. For example, have a key/token on a flash drive, which is required to be plugged into the machine for 1Password access to be granted. (I'd settle for 2FA via temp mobile codes)

Nothing like that at this time, but we'll certainly consider it for the future. However, flash drives... that's an idea we've kicked around, but people tend to lose those.

We're beta testing multi factor authentication in 1Password Teams currently. I'm not sure that it will find its way to individual accounts or 1Password Families, but if there's a lot of interest there it's certainly possible! ;)

This discussion has been closed.