Password Generator not working as an option on my PC w/extension. Help?

I'm very new to all this and trying to update passwords on sites by using the password generator. I'm on a PC, have installed the license & the extension for my browser. When I right click on a password field for a website, it says 1Password, but there isn't an option for the Password Generator as I have seen in many tutorials that I've watched. Could someone please give me some advice? Thanks so much!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:password generator

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Amy_Van: I'm sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password,, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you having trouble in a specific browser? Thanks in advance! :)

• Hi @Amy_van,

You have to bring up 1Password first before you can use the password generator, there isn't a single action to go straight to the generator. This is because 1Password have to be unlocked and your new passwords need to be saved into the data file.

If you're using 1Password 4, either click on the 1Password icon or right-click to select 1Password, you should then see the 1Password Helper menu show up, click on Password Generator.. to start generating a new password. Here's a screenshot to show what I mean:

• Amy_Van
    Amy_Van
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty & @MikeT. It looks like I'm using 1Password 6 Beta or 6.0.186d. So I have that and I have the extension in my Chrome browser. When I right click and click on 1Password a smaller version of 1Password opens and I have to put in my master password. I do that, but there's no option like what Mike has show above. Am I missing a step? Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Amy_Van: Ah, that explains it. It isn't you! That's kind of what I was thinking, which is why I wanted to make sure I knew which version you're using. Mike was showing 1Password 4 in his screenshot.

For now, it is only possible to generate a password in an item's details within the main 1Password app. The 1Password 6 beta does not have a password generator in the browser yet, though it's something we'll be adding. I hope this helps!

• newcomma
    newcomma
    Community Member

Hopefully soon :) this makes the workflow of registering for any website very painful as you either need to create a fake item to generate password, or start with a potentially insecure password, and then generate again.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@newcomma as I just wrote in my post at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/322898/#Comment_322898 they're working hard on the ability to save passwords from the web browser in 1Password 6, but since it's a ground-up rewrite of the application on Windows, it's behind their other platforms at this particular time while they catch up. Don't worry, it's coming, and I suspect sooner rather than later as this is one of their most-requested features :-)

• Thanks, dszp.

Yep, saving via the 1Password mini in 1Password 6 Beta is one of our top priorities and will be implemented sooner than later.

This discussion has been closed.