Unlocking 1Password for Windows from a browser doesn't unlock desktop app

mbakunas
mbakunas
Community Member
edited August 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Unlocking 1Password for Windows from a browser won't unlock the desktop app unless it's already open in a window. Is this the intended behavior?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.8.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (1511 build 10586.545)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:unlock

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2016

Hi @mbakunas,

Yes, that's normal due to how our security works between two separate processes, 1Password Helper that is activated via your browser and the main 1Password app. For security reasons, unlocking the 1Password Helper doesn't unlock the main app if the main app wasn't running at the time.

You can see more information below the Universal unlock section in this help article.

The good news is that this won't be an issue anymore in the next version of 1Password that we're working on right now. We're combining both into one process, so there is no other process to keep track for the unlock process.

• z1ross
    z1ross
    Community Member

This was helpful, I've been recently forced to switch back to using windows for work and play since Apple has discontinued support of my $7k mac pro with the newest OS. I look forward to this update of the windows application. I've been using 1password for a very long time since it was first part of a MacHeist bundle Waaay back when...lol. :)

Do you have an ETA on when this feature will be released?

• Glad to have you among our customers, @z1ross!

The update is already out there. We recently released the first stable of 1Password 6 for Windows.
    It's built using the latest technologies Microsoft offers for developers of Windows applications, has a beautiful new user interface, and is super sleek and efficient.

There is one thing you need to be aware of, though: This is a new brand-spanking-new application and it doesn't yet have all the features you might be used to from 1Password for Mac or 1Password 4 for Windows. Most importantly, it is optimised for 1Password.com accounts right now and only has read support for local vaults (.agilekeychain, .opvault) at this early stage.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or comments.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.