Password generator??

jessebruffett
jessebruffett
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Can we expect the same password generator that exists on the mac client? I realize that i can create a password if i create the item in my vault first but that does not work for my or my workflow, i need to be able to create new passwords on the fly for new accounts and passwords for staff and clients and not have them saved in my vaults. I relied heavily on it with my mac and now that ive made the transition to pc that is the principle feature, along with edge support, that i am missing so far.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Can we expect the same password generator that exists on the mac client?

Hey @jessebruffett we know how useful the password generator is, and it's definitely something that we want to add to 1Password mini so that you can create new passwords and logins on the fly. I can't give you an exact timeline, but I can assure you that this feature is near the top of the list for us, and is a major priority.

• jessebruffett
    jessebruffett
    Community Member

Any word on an eta? i realize it cant be a "firm" eta but something, are you weeks, a month, months out?

• Hi @jessebruffett,

We're sorry but there's no way we can give you an ETA on this, even though we'd love to.
    Rest assured that we know how important that feature is and we will add it as quickly as possible.

Cheers,

Alex

• rickwheeler
    rickwheeler
    Community Member

Very important!! This is a major deficiency since migrating from V4. Just get it done :)

• Hi @Bernfrin,

If we were to focus on adding it right now, it still will not work without making other changes first. A lot of the "critical" features requires other things to be built first, just like every other features. As you know by now, 1Password 6 is a new program, it doesn't have a finished foundation that allows us to add new features easily. We do understand the severity of this specific feature but we're not going to rush it by undermining the foundation underneath it, so that it would get there sooner.

Adding a password generator to 1Password mini requires the app to automatically save a copy of a Password item with the new password, copy a password to clipboard, fill onto the site with the extension (if on a site) and to integrate the UI into 1Password mini all at once.

All of this requires under the hood changes first, there's a reason we've just added autosave now after doing a major database redesign and once this autosave feature is done, we can expand it to handle password items as well. The changes we are making are on the road to implement the most requested features first but it's not going to be quick.

• I'm sorry you feel that way but there's not much we can do to speed everything up. It's not a few fans, we've getting far more users using 1Password 6 Beta with strong positive feedback daily but yes, we know we're not there yet.

• jessebruffett
    jessebruffett
    Community Member

@MikeT I beginning to be inclined to @Bernfrin on some of what he said, for me the password generator is a HUGE need! i am having to swap back and forth between another app and a script i wrote for generating passwords. I do not like that im paying for 1password and i dont have what seems to be an incredibly basic feature for so long. I get that moving things to a new platform is a big change but if your dev process doesn't speed up really soon ill have to go to one of your competitors.

• Hi @jessebruffett,

We've already implemented the first version of the standalone password generator via 1Password mini in the latest 1Password update and we're working on iterating it through for the next update. You can right-click on the 1Password icon in the notification area to select Generate Password or bring up 1Password mini, click on Settings on top right to select the same option.

The next update coming soon will have a better design, doesn't auto-copy, auto-save a Password item for each password you copy and so on.

• jessebruffett
    jessebruffett
    Community Member

Thats very helpful and fullfills the magority of my needs for one, the one thing i would recommend, have it remember the settings such as the number of digits and symbols. it remembers the password length but not the other 2 parameters.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @jessebruffett,

That's on the list, we plan to match the feature parity of the macOS's Password Generator. We have to figure out where to store the Password Generator's settings to make it persistent.

This discussion has been closed.