Upgraded to a 1Password account. Cannot get Chrome extension to run on Windows 10.

RogerWhitfield
RogerWhitfield
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

My new 1password account is working beautifully on my mac, iPhone and iPad however I would like to install on my work PC. However, when I click on the extension button I get a message saying 'looking for password helper'.

I have 1password 6 installed on my PC.

When the main 1password program is running I get a 1password icon in the system tray and when clicking on the extension button I get an empty dropdown with 'Filling in chrome newtab' across the bottom of the dropdown and cannot do anything else. If I close the main 1password program, then the 1password icon disappears from the system tray and when clicking the 1password extension button in Chrome I am back to getting 'looking for password helper'.

Can anyone offer any help? thanks.

1Password Version: 6.0.1.186d
Extension Version: 4.5.9.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RogerWhitfield: I'm sorry for the trouble! Do you perhaps have "security" software or a proxy setup that may be interfering with 1Password's communication with the browser extension? Other extensions can also cause similar issues, and disabling these may help to narrow down the problem. More to the point, since you mention it working on your Mac, anything you have setup differently on the PC may provide a clue, since the same extension and communication is used on each platform. Please let me know what you find!

• Hi @RogerWhitfield,

While you answer Brenty's question about security or anti-malware solution on your PC, I do want to explain what you should expect right now with 1Password 6 Beta:

When the main 1Password program is running I get a 1password icon in the system tray and when clicking on the extension button I get an empty dropdown with 'Filling in chrome newtab' across the bottom of the dropdown and cannot do anything else

That's normal to see if you're on a new tab page in Chrome. 1Password mini in 1Password 6 Beta is not yet up to the same standard on macOS, it will not show you the whole list of categories. The only thing it can do is show you the Login items it can find on the page.

If you have an Amazon account, you can go to the Amazon's site, click on 1Password icon, it should then show you the Amazon item. If not, check the main 1Password app, see if your Login item for Amazon has a saved URL that matches Amazon's site address.

If I close the main 1Password program, then the 1password icon disappears from the system tray and when clicking the 1password extension button in Chrome I am back to getting 'looking for password helper'.

That's normal, you must open and unlock the main 1Password 6 Beta app and keep it running if you want to use the 1Password mini in your browser for the moment.

We're working on an update to let you keep 1Password mini running all the time, so you can use 1Password mini without opening the main app and without seeing the Looking for 1Password Helper message in your browser.

This is true for the macOS version of 1Password as well, we just hide it better there. If you don't keep 1Password mini running all the time, the extensions won't work in your browser until you open the app first.

• RogerWhitfield
    RogerWhitfield
    Community Member

@brenty Many Thanks. That is exactly what it was. I have created an exception in Windows Firewall for 1password and Bingo, working!! Thanks again.
    @MikeT Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't really aware of the the current 'limitations' on Windows as i'm a mac user at home!! Your explanation makes it clear what to expect. Many Thanks for your help.

• MikeT
    edited August 2016

On behalf of Brenty and myself, you're welcome!

1Password mini will be getting a lot of updates in the near future, we want to add; saving new Logins or updating existing ones, Credit Card/Identity filling, auto-submit, ability to view the item's details, and many more.

This discussion has been closed.