Running screaming back to v4

Options
markwoon
markwoon
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

sigh

I understand that it's a beta, but combined with the current excitement over the individual plan, I thought I'd give it a shot.

The announcement should clearly state that windows users expecting v4 level functionality should stay away. You guys are only shooting yourselves in the foot with this. I don't mind being a beta tester, but so much basic functionality is missing that it's more alpha than beta. I'd have been way less annoyed/frustrated if it had just been clear about what was missing.

For me the #1 problem is that the web extensions (1pw mini?) can only do basic logins. Not being able to automatically create new logins or fill out cc info are major pain points. Editing seems to have taken several steps back as well. Not being able to add multiple websites to the same account is annoying. I can do it via the website, but then syncing between the two seems... anemic. There needs to be a sync button (if there is one, I can't find it).

In case no one's reported it yet, editing the title of a login and hitting save doesn't update the display page (panel?) or the list. I had to restart 1pw before the title reflected the edit.

1Password Version: 6.0.186d
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@markwoon: I'm really sorry for the frustration. It's definitely difficult, as different people have very different perceptions of what "beta" means, etc. For example, in my experience, "alpha" implies a level of instability and unreliability that (I don't think) the 1Password 6 beta embodies. Similarly, our goal with 1Password 6 is not to have every possible feature right out of the gate with lots of crashing; rather, we want to build it and make its features stable enough for all of us to use and depend on in our daily lives, and then continue to do the same with additional features over time.

However, you're right that the brand new app we're building does not have everything that you're accustomed to from 1Password 4, and while we're working toward that I can appreciate that you may prefer to stick with what you're accustomed to. Thank you for your honest feedback on this!

And thank you for bringing up the title issue. We're looking into it!

ref: OPW6-482

• markwoon
    markwoon
    Community Member
    Options

Am I wrong in believing that most people will mostly interact with 1PW through the browser extension? Or am I in the minority with this workflow? The only time I ever start up 1PW directly is when something goes wrong (i.e. I need to make an edit).

And if this is true, then v6 as it is now is not where one can really "depend on in our daily lives".

Re: definition of beta. I see "beta" on a piece of software I've been using for a while, I'm going to assume that some things have changed, possibly buggy, proceed with caution. I don't expect major pieces of functionality to be missing. It might be buggy, but missing?

Like I said, it should be blindingly obvious that this beta is not something you can just use in place of v4 because of missing functionality (vs new features, potentially buggy). Tacking on "beta" to something IMHO does not indicate this.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

Dear @markwoon,

Thank you for the feedback and maintaining a dialogue about 1Password 6 for Windows, we really appreciate it. It's part of the reason why we released beta so early — we want to hear your opinion and explain why we do what we do.

With this beta and the upcoming 1.0 we are setting a foundation for what is coming, focusing on the core infrastructure and basic features for the initial public release, and then building on top of that. We will continue to add features to 1Password 6 gradually, creating that smooth 1Password experience you know from version 4. We think this is better than working on 1Password 6 internally for several years and keeping our customers in the dark about the future.

Our developers are working day and night (literally) to bring 1Password 6 for Windows on par with the Mac version and create a unified experience across all platforms and making it a first class citizen on Windows by using the latest technologies Microsoft has to offer.

We take your feedback seriously and will be looking into the issues you described. In the meantime, if you have any other suggestions and observations, please share them with us. I'm not kidding, when I say that they mean a lot to us. Thank you! :)

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @markwoon,

1Password 6 is not a replacement of 1Password 4 nor will it be offered for licensed customers, 1Password 6 initially will only be offered to the 1Password.com customers that do not have any native app right now. We did say this in our announcement blog post here:

If you’re using 1Password 4 and are syncing using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, sit tight for a release later this year which will have full OPVault and AgileKeychain support.

Over time, we will continue to iterate 1Password 6 while also keeping 1Password 4 updated, once 1Password 6 hits the feature parity of 1Password 4, we will stop offering 1Password 4 and start offering 1Password 6 for everyone. This won't be happening for a while.

• markwoon
    markwoon
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT:

That quote mentions nothing about missing functionality I originally described. After all, I'm trying out v6 because of the new 1PW for individuals announcement, so that caveat is irrelevant. I also don't understand how "v6 is not a replacement for v4". If you want to use 1PW for individuals, this is my only option, right? So it is v4's replacement for those willing to pay the monthly fee.

@justgregb:

Look, I'm a software developer and I know how the dev cycle works. I have no problems with alphas or betas.

What I found disappointing is telling people hey, go try v6 -- which people would naturally think is the next iteration of v4, but with 1PW account support instead of dropbox/wifi/etc. sync -- and have it missing critical functionality.

If you had called it something else, 1Password Next Generation 1.0 for example, then I'd go oh, completely new thing, don't expect feature parity. But 1Password 6.0? That should have gotten lots of warnings about how it got rewritten from scratch and there's lots of holes that will be filled, etc. etc. and a list of those missing features.

Just a few more words on a page to set expectations, that's all I'm asking for here.

P/S - hey this supports markdown!
    PP/S - I am actually excited about v6, it looks a lot nicer. But I'm going to need it to be farther along before I'd commit to using it more.

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @markwoon,

I understand and we will try to make clear that not all 1Password features are available on Windows when we ship 1Password 6 in a few weeks for 1Password.com customers.

• Amarand
    Amarand
    Community Member
    Options

This is a lot to read, but I want to second (third?) the statement that 1Password 6 Beta is unusable.

1) I can't see where I can generate new passwords.
    2) It doesn't automatically save (or prompt to save) accounts that I'm entering in manually. This is my primary method of getting old accounts into the new database.
    3) I just purchased and switched everything over to 1Password Families. Does 1Password 4 for Windows support that?
    4) The interface and browser extension (my primary method of interface) for Firefox is...kludgy and (as mentioned) unusable.

So...should I switch back to 1Password 4 for Windows? Will I still have full access to my 1Password Families account? Or is that just baked into 1Password 6 beta?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Amarand,

1) I can't see where I can generate new passwords.

You can only generate it in the main 1Password app for now. Create a new Password or Login item and click on the icon next to the password field to generate a new password.

There will be an update to add the Password Generator to the 1Password mini, so you can create a new password without going through creating a new item first and copying it to your clipboard and so on.

2) It doesn't automatically save (or prompt to save) accounts that I'm entering in manually. This is my primary method of getting old accounts into the new database.

1Password 6 Beta doesn't have auto-save implemented yet for the extensions. Right now, 1Password 6 is limited to basic filling with existing Login items only. A lot of updates are coming in the next few months to add the ability to save/update Logins, fill with credit card/identity filling, ability to view the item's details and to view all categories as well.

3) I just purchased and switched everything over to 1Password Families. Does 1Password 4 for Windows support that?

No, 1Password 6 Beta is the only Windows app supporting 1Password.com services in addition to the 1Password.com web app.

4) The interface and browser extension (my primary method of interface) for Firefox is...kludgy and (as mentioned) unusable.

1Password mini was only implemented a few weeks ago, it's a rough start and will be getting a lot of improvements in the next few months.

So...should I switch back to 1Password 4 for Windows? Will I still have full access to my 1Password Families account? Or is that just baked into 1Password 6 beta?

That's up to you but 1Password 4 cannot use 1Password.com accounts, the way 1Password.com works is completely different to how 1Password 4 handles the data, that's why we're building a brand new program and going to implement all of the features over time before we can even consider replacing 1Password 4.

You can switch between 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 if you want but any changes you make in your 1Password account right now cannot be copied back to your local vault file in 1Password 4, yet. If you have a Mac, you could use that to copy the data from the 1Password account to your local vault file in the same 1Password app.

This discussion has been closed.