Options
2»

Comments

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@dszp You probably know the old saying that goes something like "You spend the first 80% of your time getting a project to 80% complete and the second 80% of your time getting to 100% complete."

You and I aren't in the code and we aren't in the day-to-day issues of the Windows project. Even so, I've used every beta release of v6 and I know that support for local vaults has been, and continues to be a source of investment. I've personally reported performance bugs that I know they've worked on. It may look complete to you now but getting it to full ship readiness is the hard part - it's the final fit and finish, perf, bugs, usability, etc. that I'm suggesting be avoided. I'm also saying that read-only support for local vaults isn't fundamentally useful or compelling. No actual user of v4 / local vaults is going to switch to v6 and walk away from the ability to create and edit items. Shipping a feature in that state doesn't delight anyone and, in practice, can have the direct opposite effect.

My basic point is : Focus. Ship scenarios that are end-to-end complete. Don't spread efforts and investments like peanut butter such that you do a little bit of a lot of things. Even things that feel 80% done can take another 80% of total time to complete, so combine cutting some things with increasing focus on others.

All of this is really just armchair quarterbacking from a passionate and invested 1Password user. I'm just trying to selfishly guide the project to an outcome that I think would delight me and probably others. I'm going to let me comments and suggestions sit and not go back and forth about them. If they help, they help. If not, that's ok, too.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

I don't disagree, same here, also an extremely invested and passionate 1Password user. I think we're on the same page...I also think the last month or two are more on track with your suggestions than they have been in the past. Do they need to focus more? Don't know, but it is all still armchair quarterbacking. Fixing Dropbox/offline perf bugs in 6 isn't a bad thing long term (I've reported and had some fixed as well, but months ago) because they want to support them long term and they have users screaming to not push subscription only (which I'm fine with but agree shouldn't be the focus now--but I've moved to Families, if I hadn't switched I'd still be clamoring for Dropbox fixes too! Performance with 4 and a large Dropbox OPVault sucks majorly so those users have a reason to scream--I was one!). Hope what they're doing results in awesome results soon though :-)

• Thanks for the great discussion here everyone. It's an enjoyable read and I really do appreciate seeing things from your perspective. I would love to chat more but I've said most of what I wanted to say already and I'm still nursing some RSI in my wrists so I really can't type very much.

What I really wanted to jump in and say is the last 20% takes 220% of the time :)

This discussion has been closed.