Your README.pdf shows Truekey for Mac only. Will this also work with Windows 10?

Options
gaylet8
gaylet8
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have been using Truekey and downloaded my data but the only format available is a JSON file. I've downloaded the convert_to_1p4_1.09 and am reading the README.pdf. The Available Converters list shows Truekey only for OSX. Is this also available for Windows 10?

1Password Version: 6.0.186
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:truekey windows

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @gaylet8,

I believe the PDF meant that @MrC, the creator of the converters, have only tested it on macOS. The truekey converter should be able to convert your JSON file If Windows version of TrueKey exports the same way as the macOS version.

I'd suggest giving it a try and if you're having any issues, let us know here as @MrC may be able to update his tools to support Windows version of TrueKey as well.

• gaylet8
    gaylet8
    Community Member
    Options

OK! Thanks! I just didn't want to do all this and find out at the end that it wouldn't work. I'll give it a try!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @gaylet8 / @MikeT ,

I had not tested it on Windows, only on OS X. But it is a JSON file. Go ahead and try the 1.09 version on Windows and see if there are any issues. If you have any troubles, report back here and I'll update the converter as required to make it work on Windows.

• gaylet8
    gaylet8
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I ran the mypearl and it seemed to do it's thing.
    Had to change this (cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\convert_to_1p4) to "......convert_to_1p4_1.09" since that is the name of my directory on my desktop.
    I changed this file: "perl convert_to_1p4.pl name_of_converter -v ..\name_of_export_file" to "perl convert_to_1p4. truekey -v ..\truekey_export.json". When I tried to run this, I got an error - No such file or directory.
    I feel that I have something wrong in his command. Can you help?
    I am attaching my cmd prompt screenshot.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options

@gaylet8

This:

perl convert_to_1p4. truekey -v ..\truekey_export.json

should be

perl convert_to_1p4.pl truekey -v ..\truekey_export.json

You're missing the pl suffix of the script's name.

• gaylet8
    gaylet8
    Community Member
    Options

Ran the corrected script but still got an error. I have my truekey_export.json file on my Desktop. Is that where it's supposed to be?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Options

@gaylet8,

The error message is saying the the converter script is not in the directory you are using (perl is telling you it cannot find convert_to_1p4.pl in the current directory).

Your install location isn't quite what the README suggests, so that leads me to wonder how you actually extracted the zip file archive contents. It doesn't matter what you call the extracted folder, nor where you place it. What matters is that you have ALL the contents of the zip file exactly as they were bundled. Some users will move files and folders around, and that breaks the script's ability to find the required modules.

From within your convert_to_1p4_1.09 folder on your Desktop, in the command shell window, run the command:

dir

and copy / paste the window screenshot here. It should look like:

FYI: it looks like you might be re-running the cpan commands each time. You're done with that, and don't need to run them. They install some required modules, and once you've installed them into the perl environment once, you're done. All you need to do is run the converter command.

• gaylet8
    gaylet8
    Community Member
    Options

Here is a screenshot of my Desktop so you can see if I need to change anything.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Options

Ok, here's the problem. You're not deep enough in the directory tree you have.

Move the contained convert_to_1p4 folder onto your Desktop and go into that folder, which will be named as per the README.

• gaylet8
    gaylet8
    Community Member
    Options

I moved the convert_to_1p4 folder to my desktop and tried running the script but got another error that a module was missing so I re-ran the cpan again but it didn't help. Maybe I just need to go with a different password saver?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@gaylet8,

I mentioned in some other threads that some users on Windows 10 had trouble getting the Date::Calc module to build. But I've never been able to reproduce the issue.

In your command window above, please try the following to build the Date::Calc module and a module it requires called Bit::Vector:

cpan -fT  Bit::Vector  Date::Calc

The try your conversion again.

If you would like some remote help, let me know.

• gaylet8
    gaylet8
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry - I've already deleted everything. It was just too complicated for me. Thanks for your efforts to help.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @gaylet8, I'm sorry to hear that. Improving this process is something we've been thinking about for some time, and we'd like to address it and make things simpler for folks switching services. I'm sorry we weren't able to help you better now, and I hope we can have a better solution for you in the future.

Thanks so much for helping out @MrC :)

• gaylet8
    gaylet8
    Community Member
    Options

,Thanks! It just wasn't the converting of my Truekey data that was the problem. The whole 1password process was just to complicated. After I downloaded it, I had no idea how to use it! I've chosen a program that is much easier to use. Sorry.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I understand @gaylet8, still sad to see you go :(. Best of luck.

• Buzzpipaluk
    Buzzpipaluk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Just to add a few comments here as a new user. Looking at the above did help, but just in different ways. Using Win 10

I extracted the zip archive file by simply extracting to c:\perl as per instructions in the read me. It looks like the convert_to_1p4 folder ended up 2 directories down under Desktop, under C:\Users\David\Desktop\onepassword-utilities-master\convert_to_1p4 (Not sure why this extracts differently to the ReadMe, without any "playing" from my side)

Obviously the command cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\convert_to_1p4 didn't work, but adding in the onepassword-utilities-master dir into it sorted it. So cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\onepassword-utilities-master dir\convert_to_1p4

Then tried but it couldn't find my original xml file which was on the Desktop. Just moved this file one directory down into "onepassword-utilities-master dir". All worked OK.

Good conversion using: perl convert_to_1p4.pl handysafe -v ..\HS.xml

Thanks

• @Buzzpipaluk

Thank you for writing in and telling us about your experience.
    I'm sure it will be useful for @MrC and other users.

The differing unpacking location for the ZIP file can depend on the application you use to unzip it.
    Sorry for the inconvenience!

Tell us if there's anything else we can help you with.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.