Lasted 1 Hour With Free Trial of 1Password Then Said Goodbye

Options

Reasons:
1- Must contact Support for assistance to import from LastPass with Chrome.
2- No reply from Support on using Chrome to import from LastPass, so I couldn't import.
3- Must download Strawberry Perl and 1Password Utilities and then run Perl commands to import and convert from LastPass.

If developers want someone to try their product, they should make it easy and convenient.

4- Adding a profile picture is a quest to complete - and if I don't want to add a profile picture I am always reminded that my quests are not complete.

Quests are silly things that don't contribute to the user experience

5- Folders have been replaced by tags. (Got this from the Forums.)

That's fine if devs want to replace folders with tags, but not giving users a choice is not good.

Okay, maybe I'm picky. But there's plenty of competition in the password management space, so I'll avoid products that make it overly complicated just to get started and have stuff I don't like.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Bulldog999 ,

The Lastpass export issue with Chrome is a Lastpass issue, not a 1Password issue. The export does not come out as CSV, but as HTML.

1Password can import a properly exported Lastpass export file. The converter just does more, and was writen to address some old 1Password import issues that have since been resolved. You don't have to use the converter.

I will leave the other matters for AgileBits.

• Hi @Bulldog999.

Thanks for contacting us.
    I searched for any kind of email from you to support but couldn't find anything under the email you're using in this forum.
    Let me answer your questions:

Must download Strawberry Perl and 1Password Utilities and then run Perl commands to import and convert from LastPass.

That is not a must but something we recommend. MrC's amazing conversion tools create a native 1Password file that does not only contain your properly converted data but also the meta data intact.

It's the reason why you might see a trial expired message after importing items that were converted using the 1Password Utilities.
    MrC's scripts correctly retain the item creation dates and item modification dates — which is useful when you plan on using 1Password's Security Audit feature.
    If your oldest item is older than the 30 days of the trial, 1Password will assume you are past your trial phase and have simply restored old data.

If developers want someone to try their product, they should make it easy and convenient.

We completely understand. It's one of our goals to make importing data from other password managers easy, convenient, and reliable. The issue with this is, that many password managers don't offer good export formats that can be easily converted. It's one of the reasons why we leave not only .1pif as an export option (an open JSON format that can be parsed easily outside of 1Password) but also CSV, which isn't as flexible and easy to use but can be useful if you simply wish to open Excel and look at the data or print it — the latter of which we don't recommend.

Adding a profile picture is a quest to complete - and if I don't want to add a profile picture I am always reminded that my quests are not complete.

That's interesting feedback and I made our developers aware of it. Thank you for bringing it up.

Folders have been replaced by tags.

Thank you for this feedback, as well.

That is the case for our new 1Password accounts products. There, the concept of folders hasn't been implemented.
    We've replaced folder with tags because they've become a common concept on many platforms and in many applications and they allow for more flexible sorting of items than folders and they have many advantages like auto-updating to reflect changes, can be combined in searches, to name just two.

In 1Password 4 for Windows, folder still very much work, though and you can use them if you wish.

I hope this helps.
    Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.