Disasterous first impressions

blitzd
blitzd
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I just set up 1password today and the Chrome extension is only showing me a white box, it doesn't actually list any of the logins I have saved, or any other options. It will fill in the login information if I use the CTRL-\ shortcut, but otherwise the extension doesn't appear to do anything or have any other functionality.

When I click on the lock icon, if the app isn't open in the background it will pop to the front and ask for my master password. Sometimes, about mid-way through typing my password a smaller duplicated window will pop up and take focus.

When entering in an item manually (since none of that fancy auto-entry functionality appears to work on Windows) I found that the labels in the app are all editable and set up as tab stops. I also found that the password field just displays in plain text.

Back to the extension - I did actually get it to show something, it appears you need to be on the website to actually have the login show up. Though the video shows Khad clicking on the button, navigating to logins, and selecting his Amazon account from there... a.k.a., the video in the 'Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC' doesn't actually appear to have anything to do with the extension one ends up with on Chrome on Windows.

Anyways, even when anything DOES show up there - clicking on it does absolutely nothing.

I'd really love to support a Canadian company here, and the videos of the functionality all look exactly like what I am looking for - but the actual product doesn't appear to do any of that. The actual product appears to be a very early alpha, probably even closer to a proof of concept.

So, what gives with the Windows version? Why do the docs make it look so magical when the actual experience is horribly broken? And when will it be fixed? In it's current form you probably either shouldn't be charging for it, or shouldn't be purporting to support Windows.

1Password Version: 6.0.186d
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• asterisk86
    asterisk86
    Community Member

I am in the same boat. Read an article from a reputable security analyst suggesting 1Password as an amazing product; can't do ANYTHING with it on Windows.

• When will the browser extensions be updated to allow Windows users to save passwords?
    • When will we get the ability to have multiple websites per login (i.e. Office 365 has multiple URLs you can use to sign in -> outlook.office365.com, portal.microsoftonline.com, login.microsoftonline.com etc)
  • blitzd
    blitzd
    Community Member

I have since found that the v4 edition is actually still available. I don't know why in the sign up process I was given the link for the v6, as it's not very usable. Giving v4 a shot now...

• mzaurov
    mzaurov
    Community Member

v4 isn't compatible with the new platform as far as I know. I don't think you'll be able to sync it across platforms. I just tried it and couldn't find anyway to login and it kept asking me to locate the vault file

• Hi @blitzd and @asterisk86,

Thank you for writing in with your feedback, we truly appreciate it.
    Both of you are using the 1Password 6 for Windows beta. While it is ready for public use in many places, there are still a good number of rough spots.

Currently, the main app has to be active and unlocked in order for the extension to work. Filling and navigating available logins works by visiting the site (you can do this by clicking the Browse button in the detail view).
    You can, however, press Ctrl+Alt+\ twice to bring up the 1Password mini view, search the entire database there, and click the item to open it.

Bringing Auto-Save to 1Password 6 is at the top of our to do list and we'll be adding it as soon as possible.

Multiple URLs will also come to the app soon.

One more thing @blitzd, your 1Password account will only work in the 1Password 6 beta not in 1Password 4.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions or feedback, we're always happy to listen and help.

Cheers,

Alex

• jozaozir
    jozaozir
    Community Member

So... what does 1Password DO if it doesn't save passwords as we enter them? I just signed up as well, I'm on Windows and I'm completely confused.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Dear @jozaozir,

If you save logins in 1Password 6 beta first, it will fill them in Chrome and Firefox (with 1Password extension installed). I am using it on my day to day basis (using shortcuts!) and there is a significant progress over the last two months alone. As @AlexHoffmann said above, Saving Logins is our top priority, because it is a crucial part of 1Password and, I believe, your workflow, but it takes time to get there.

We care about our Windows customers, that is exactly why we decided to create 1Password 6 from scratch and embrace newer frameworks and technologies from Microsoft that will allow us to add a lot of great new features, like HiDPI, unicode, screenreader support, etc. The benefits of this decision are not instant, but they will come up with time. I hope for your understanding. :)

Feel free to ask more questions, we are here for you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.