I try to start 1Password on Firefox, but first it says it can't find something called the "helper".

First it says it can't find the helper, and then it says "Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (onepassword4-extension) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context."

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't find helper

Comments

• captainknut
    captainknut
    Community Member

I tried it in Chrome with the same results - "Can't find the helper".

If I click the link "What does the helper do?", I get shunted to a help page that doesn't even contain the word "helper" anywhere.

• captainknut
    captainknut
    Community Member

No-one can help?

• @captainknut - this sounds like you have only installed the 1Password Chrome extension. It needs to communicate with the 1Password app which also needs to be installed on your Windows PC. Have you done this already, and if so are you using 1Password 4 or 1Password 6 beta for Windows?

• captainknut
    captainknut
    Community Member

Okay, so far, so good. I use 1Password 6 beta. I can now log in. But now, there's not much I can use it for. In Firefox, when I click the 1Password button, it's just an almost empty dialog box where the single option is to choose to enter an existing password. There are no other options, no password generator, nothing. Is it because it's the beta version? Should I roll back to version 4?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Dear @captainknut,

At the moment, password generator in 1Password 6 Beta is available in the main app (while creating a new item), but not in the browser extension. 1Password 6 is not a complete solution yet, so if you need all features implemented in 1Password 4, you should roll back to it. We are building 1Password 6 from the ground up and it takes time to add all features that were added to 1Password 4 over several years. In version 6 we are focused on 1Password Accounts now, local vaults (that are fully supported in version 4) have read-only mode.

If you have any other questions about 1Password 6 Beta and 1Password 4, please feel free to ask them. We are happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.