Can i use my personal 1 password 4 software with teams in the office?

Hi, my wife and I have been using 1 password for a number of years. I love the software and recommend it to any that will listen as it's an essential piece of kit for modern day life. I upgraded my old software in March this year (22/03 for £30.04) to 1 password 4, which I think is a family type package so my wife and I can use it on our PC's and iphones, ipads etc. We sync it via dropbox.

I am keen to introduce 1 password for teams into our small office and just want to know if it is going to allow me to seemlessly use my personal 1 password and teams

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: windows 7
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Can i use my personal 1 password 4 software with teams

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NOSG

Thank you for your love for 1Password! Your kind words are a great motivation for us!

1Password Teams will only work on the brand new 1Password 6 (still on Beta, for just a little bit longer). However, you can install 1Password 6 on your computer, add your Team Account but keep your personal/local vaults as they are. Local vaults (synced with Dropbox) and Accounts can very easily coexist :chuffed:

If you have any other questions about 1Password or if there's anything else that you'd like to know, we're here for you!

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member

Hi Pilar,

Appreciate the response, thank you. What would I see in my browser extension (I run chrome and firefox) i.e. would I be able to access my existing vaults (in 1password 4) and the Team vaults (in 1password6).

Thanks, Andy

• @NOSG I would actually recommend moving everything over to your team account so you can access it all at once. You have a Personal vault in the team where you can store your existing items. The browser extension will show all your vaults. :) There's one thing I do want to mention before you move, though, and it's the status of Windows support. 1Password 6 for Windows is in beta right now and we're working on a stable release, but it's a ways out. The browser extension is a bit more limited than you're used to with 1Password 4 — it doesn't have a generator or way to save passwords quickly from the browser. Right now it just allows you to fill items in the browser.

We would be happy to work with you while the Windows app improves, and extend your trial until it's up to par. I just wanted to let you know about this so you aren't too surprised by the difference. I see you already have a team set up, so feel free to move some existing items into the account and take it for a proper test run:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Let us know how that goes!

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Hi Jacob, thanks for the open / honest response - much appreciated. On a personal level I'm not keen on losing some of the functionality of 1Password 4, as I use the functionality you mention above a lot and I know beta can sometimes drag on. That said I am keen to get the software into the business. As an aside as I run 1Password 4 as family software would I have share my login with my wife, so she can access our personal vault in the team account? Thank you, Andy

• Jacob
    edited September 2016

@NOSG No problem at all. I'm glad it helped. :)

As an aside as I run 1Password 4 as family software would I have share my login with my wife, so she can access our personal vault in the team account?

Hmm, are you sharing a vault with Dropbox right now, or are you asking about using your family account alongside 1Password 4? I just want to make sure I answer the right question.

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Hi Jacob, yes we are sharing a vault with dropbox and have the standalone software (1Password 4) which we currently run on 2 x PC, 2 x iphone and 1 x ipad, all from a shared vault in dropbox. We used the folders and tags in the single vault to separate out our shared and separate logins (e.g. Facebook from the Electricity and Gas Company). Thx, Andy

• @NOSG Thanks for clarifying. If your wife needs to access your Personal vault in the team account, she will need your Account Key and Master Password for that account. You could share it with her in the Dropbox vault by creating a Login item on the team sign-in page. :) Or you could give her a copy of your Emergency Kit. Hope that helps.

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member

Hi Jacob, it does, many thanks, Andy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Jacob, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member

Still keen to get my business using 1password 6, but wanted to check in the status of the beta version for windows, as a couple of months back you guys said

"There's one thing I do want to mention before you move, though, and it's the status of Windows support. 1Password 6 for Windows is in beta right now and we're working on a stable release, but it's a ways out. The browser extension is a bit more limited than you're used to with 1Password 4 — it doesn't have a generator or way to save passwords quickly from the browser. Right now it just allows you to fill items in the browser."

Obviously with any new software getting people on board takes a little time and the full functionality (that I'm used to with 1 password 4) would certainly help.

Cheers, Andy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@NOSG: 1Password 6 is still not as mature as 1Password 4, but we've released a stable version and we're continuing to work hard on the (now separate) beta channel. Now's a great time to check it out:

1Password 6 Windows desktop

If you're able to take it for a spin, I'd love to hear your feedback. There may be things you miss still, but I'd love to hear what they are so we can see what we can work into the pipeline. :)

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Hi Brenty, just downloaded it and connected it to my existing vault. Off the bat I see the folders (I have circa 400 logins for example, as I've been using 1PW for years now) I used to organise things in 4 have gone and it doesn't let me edit anything (is it locked out in this version)? In the desktop on 4 it was nice small fonting so I got to see a lot of info on the page, in 6 I have to do a tonne of scrolling. Browser extension (I use in Chrome and firefox) seems the same as I had in 4. I removed the old one and re-loaded from in 6. Does Teams run off the same software (essentially) as the version of 6 you've given me the link for?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@NOSG: Indeed. We've built 1Password 6 from scratch to be able to support 1Password.com and use all of the modern Windows tools. It uses the same browser extensions as 1Password 4. Local vaults are limited to read-only until we've completed that feature. 1Password 6 is only needed for using 1Password Accounts. If you prefer to use local vaults, definitely stick with 1Password 4. It just sounded from your earlier comments that you wanted to move to 1Password Teams. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• NOSG
    NOSG
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, I wanted to move to teams so we could adopt it in the work place. I noticed you guys had moved to the monthly billing model (for all the obvious reasons, both you and the consumer), so I decided to take a look. Local vaults aren't an issue for me per say. I have 1password4 and can always continue to use that on personal basis anyway. Not doubt I can move the contents of my existing local & dropbox vault to the online platform anyway. So do I need to sign up for a trial on 1 password 6, which will be the team version of the software I've just tried? You'll have to bare with me if I'm stating the obvious as I'm not techie.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@NOSG: Hey, no worries! This is new territory, so it's understandable if you have questions. And anyway, that's what we're here for! ;)

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking though. Are you trying to use 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 simultaneously? If so, this can be done to some degree, but it is much simpler to use one or the other on a given machine. Be sure to let me know more about your setup and we'll figure out the best way to proceed.

As for the trial, the new 1Password subscription service is through 1Password.com. Just go there to sign up for an account:

https://1password.com/teams/pricing/

This gives you access to all of the apps and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. That part is pretty straightforward. The confusing part is that 1Password 4 cannot support the 1Password subscription service, so we have the new 1Password 6 app for that. I hope this helps. Let me know if I've missed something. :)

This discussion has been closed.