1Password 4 => 1Password 6 / Subscription - couldn't be more confusing...

Options
djsdjs
djsdjs
Community Member

I've had a reasonable experience with 1Password 4 and wanted to try the subscription service.

Was surprising it had a completely different Windows client and it gave no hint as to whether I should keep 4 installed.

Then I attached a vault from 4 thinking it would import - but it did not.

Then it was super confusing that when I was trying to open 6 it was using the password from that vault as the master.

1Password 4 also memorized the password to my 1Password online account as per it's usual operations - but that seems odd.

Now I've attached my 1Password online account - something that I think should have been automatic upon installing 6.

Then to get my passwords into the online account I had to export to an unencrypted file. 1Password 6 already has access to my 1Password 4 vault - why can't it securely import that way rather than requiring I expose my passwords for even a second in an unencrypted file?

I had to figure this all out on my own - no guided migration at all.

To top it off I still don't understand the status of my accounts and the two windows clients and how and whether they work together.

Lots of confusion and questions:
Are the two Windows clients working together?
How do I consolidate down to the fewest moving parts?
Is 1Password 4 required?
1Password 6 seems to indicate it can work off other sync services like dropbox - if I do that does that mean I don't need to pay for a 1Password online account?

1Password Version: 4, 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIndows 10
Sync Type: 1Password?

Comments

• djsdjs
    djsdjs
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I forgot to mention that the entire reason I started playing with the service was the TOTP support mentioned in this article: https://www.macstories.net/tutorials/switching-from-google-authenticator-or-authy-to-1password/

Unless I am missing something I see no evidence of the support mentioned in the article in the Windows 1Password 6 client nor Android.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @djsdjs, sorry for the trouble you're experiencing with migrating your data to your 1Password account. I'll do my best to clear things up and help you get back on your feet.

Then it was super confusing that when I was trying to open 6 it was using the password from that vault as the master.

In 1Password 6, we set the apps Master Password to be the same as the first vault you add to the app. If you want to change your Master Password, you can do so by going to "Settings > Options > Security" then selecting "Change master password"

why can't it securely import that way rather than requiring I expose my passwords for even a second in an unencrypted file?

It is possible to move your data without having to export a 1Pif file, but this feature is currently broken (fixed in next build) and we recommend users import their 1Pif file to ensure that no data is ever lost.

I had to figure this all out on my own - no guided migration at all.

We have a migration guide in our knowledge base that could've helped make things a little clearer.

Are the two Windows clients working together?

No, not actively. 1Password 6 will eventually replace 1Password 4, but they are better suited for different users right now. If you're using a local vault or Dropbox sync, you'll be much better off sticking to 1Password 4 because 1Password 6 can only read from those vaults and cannot edit items or create new ones. 1Password 6 is focused on 1Password accounts right now and is much better suited to those users.

How do I consolidate down to the fewest moving parts?

The only scenario that 1Password 4 would directly conflict with 1Password 6 is whilst using the extension. In this case, you simply need to ensure that you only have one of these apps running at the same time. That should limit any errors or issues that may arise.

Is 1Password 4 required?

In general, no. But it is only needed to export your 1Password data because the fix for 1Password 6's internal migration tool hasn't published yet.

1Password 6 seems to indicate it can work off other sync services like dropbox - if I do that does that mean I don't need to pay for a 1Password online account?

Yes, you can use Dropbox sync with 1Password 4 and get a complete experience, but you will not be able to add new records, or edit old records with 1Password 6.

I hope I've answered all your questions correctly, please let me know if there's something I can do to clear things up further :)

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

the entire reason I started playing with the service was the TOTP support outlined in this article: https://www.macstories.net/tutorials/switching-from-google-authenticator-or-authy-to-1password/

That article is specifically referring to the iOS app which has full support for creating new TOTP's. 1Password 6 can edit and generate new TOTP's, but it cannot create a new TOTP field on an item.

This discussion has been closed.