AGDatabaseError: Exception: The encryption keys file does not exist

When I tried to open 1Password today, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade, and I said yes. Since then, I haven't been able to log in. Each time I try, this is the error message:
AGDatabaseError -- Exception: The encryption keys file does not exist at 'file://localhost/Users/Troop18/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/1password.keys'
I've tried following the directions in the support forum and at one point felt like I was almost there, and then it said to point 1Password to AgileBits in Dropbox. I have no idea what that means. So I undid everything, which included placing a 1Password folder on my desktop and then three files that began with ws. on the desktop. I just chickened out when I couldn't follow through.
Now I closed the application altogether and tried to reopen it.

1Password Version: Version 3.8.22 (build 32010)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: I have no idea
Referrer: forum-search:AG Database error Exception: The encryption keys file does not exist at 'file://localhost/Users/Troop18/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/1password.keys'

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TeriCross: Sorry for the trouble! I wonder if you didn't delete (or move) your vault or its contents, as the error is indicating that 1Password is looking for the file but it isn't present.

Please open Finder and go to /Dropbox/1Password/. Do you see 1Password.agilekeychain there? I wonder if it's something you dragged to your Desktop though.

But if you see that AgileKeychain vault there, right-click to Show Package Contents, and then navigate to data, and then default and take a screenshot of each. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

It sounds like at the very least the 1password.keys file is missing. You may be able to recover it from Dropbox, but if there's a recent backup that may be a better option. Let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.