Subscription in combination with 1Password 4

I have 1Password 4 (with a license) on a Mac with OSX 10.9.5 and I am considering taking a subscription. I don't want to upgrade my Mac because it will slow down. Can I still use the older version of 1Password with a subscription?

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: osx 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MarianneC: If it helps, while my older Mac needed to be replaced because it was slow in general, it wasn't noticeably slower with El Capitan. And I know we've got at least one other person here running some older Macs with El Capitan as well (ca. 2007/2008, I believe). So it may be worth considering.

That said, if you already have a license for 1Password 4, then it's no problem: you can continue using the old version on Mavericks if you prefer that. However, it is not possible for the legacy apps to actually use the 1Password subscription service. They only know how to read local vaults and cannot login to 1Password Accounts.

So, in short, you can't technically get most of the benefits of a subscription with the old app. And frankly if you already have a license for the version you'll be using, I can't think of a good justification for you to purchase anything else. On the other hand, if you (or your family) have other devices that can use the current version of 1Password, that might make more sense. Let me know what you think! :)

• MarianneC
    MarianneC
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for your help and advice. I have heard from two other mac owners that their mac slowed down considerably after upgrading. Both owned the same iMac from mid 2010 .

I think at the moment mine is working pretty well, I want to use for at least another year. I think I will keep on using my license for 1Password for that period.

Again, thank you for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! Be sure to reach out if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.