i need to move my 1password vault from old mac new windows 10 lenovo yoga.

Options

i have a license for 1password on my mac. i just bought a new Lenovo Yoga 900S running Windows 10. i want to move my existing vault from my mac (which i am decommissioning) to my new Yoga. how do i do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:i need to move my 1password vault from my old mac to my new windows 10 lenovo yoga

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phatmichaelt: Definitely consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps and do away with licenses and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

Otherwise you can purchase a 1Password for Windows license and copy your data over manually. Let me know what you think, and we'll work out the details! :)

• phatmichaelt
    phatmichaelt
    Community Member
    Options

so, i purchased a license for my mac, and for my ipad, and for my Android phone -- these threedo not interoperate already. so, you're saying that i need to buy yet another license? even if i'm getting rid of my Mac? and even if i haven't yet seen that it works across two devices, yet alone three?

i need an easier solution...and, if i have to manually move the passwords, then i might as well buy from someone else.

• MikeT
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @phatmichaelt,

You didn't mention you were having a sync issue in your original post. All we know was that you wanted to move your data from the Mac to your PC and that you were getting rid of the Mac, which usually means you just have to copy the data file manually to your PC and you're all set.

How are you syncing your data currently? You don't have to buy licenses right off the bat, 1Password for Windows is free to use for 30 days and is free for anyone with less than 20 items.

However, you don't have to pay the full price as you already own the Mac license. You can upgrade it to the desktop license that covers both Mac and Windows at a reduced price. You can do so here: https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade but don't do this until you're all and up running first.

The 1Password.com subscription is the easiest solution, you get all 1Password apps included for all platforms and we handle everything else for you, so there's no sync configuration involved as Brenty mentioned.

• phatmichaelt
    phatmichaelt
    Community Member
    Options

well - i'm not currently synching my data at all right now, as it doesn't seem to work from my mac to my android nexus 6p phone or even my ipad. a query to support resulted in them sending me a vague twitter message, but it was a little confusing to be honest, and then i just haven't dealt with it. now, though, i am getting rid of my mac and moving to this lenovo yoga running windows 10.

as such, i didn't see in your note still how to move my vault that is currently on my mac to my yoga.

i appreciate the sales pitch, and when i get the port successfully done, and i can synch from my yoga to my android phone and my ipad, then i'll think about buying the license. but, like i said before, if i have to end up moving this vault over manually, then i'll look elsewhere.

the app seems to work fine for a single device, but i'm not feeling the love when it comes to cross platform the andoid ux could also use a facelift, as its nowhere near as what it should be.

hope you can help.

thanks,

michael t.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phatmichaelt: Thanks for the additional info! In your original post the only thing you mentioned was 1Password for Mac, so it sounded like you just wanted to get the data over to the PC from there. That's why I mentioned those two options: the right tools for the job. Configuring sync makes more sense if you want to keep your data up to date across multiple devices (as opposed to moving it to a new one permanently). These are the options:

• Configure Dropbox sync on your devices and keep your existing setup. This won't cost you anything initially, and then you can upgrade to add 1Password for Windows after the trial if you wish. I'd say the best place to start would be the Mac, since it sounds like that's where you already have your data, then setup sync on the others to access the data there. You can then uninstall Dropbox on the Mac when you're finished with it, and the other devices will continue to sync.
    • Use the 1Password.com service. The main benefit here for you will be not having to configure sync settings. You'll just copy your existing data to your 1Password Account (after signing up for the fee trial) and then you can login and access it on each device.
    • Create a copy of your vault in a local folder on your Mac and then copy it to the PC manually (using a USB drive perhaps). However, given that you're using 1Password on multiple devices, the other options (I happen to use both) will be better, since it will allow you to access your data on all of them on an ongoing basis. This is really a better solution for a single-device setup like I thought you had initially.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to help in any way I can. :)

• phatmichaelt
    phatmichaelt
    Community Member
    Options

I created a copy of the vault, and then copied it over to my new Yoga. The 1Pass App on my Yoga could not find the file in the folder where I placed it. I need to get rid of my Mac within a day or two, and don't have the time to keep mucking around -- if this can be remedied quickly, please let me know. Otherwise, I've already spent too much time on this (and, wasted my money on the earlier purchase). Don't mean to be rude, but this has really been going on too long...

• phatmichaelt
    phatmichaelt
    Community Member
    Options

I also tried using Dropbox synch...no success.

• Thanks @phatmichaelt for letting us know where things stand at the moment.
    I have to say that I'm confused by the experience you're having and I'm sorry that this still isn't working for you.

I feel like we're missing something about your setup and I'd like to find out what it is.

Firstly: Which version of 1Password for Windows did you install?
    Secondly: Where did you put the vault that you copied from 1Password for Mac?
    Thirdly: Is the Dropbox app running on all devices?
    Fourthly: I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phatmichaelt: I'm really sorry for the frustration you've experienced. Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please be sure to let us know the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action. We'll get you "up and syncing"! :)

• phatmichaelt
    phatmichaelt
    Community Member
    Options

OK -- thanks. I finally got the vault into my PC-1Pass.

Then, when I went to buy the license, I recalled that you had indicated that I would get a discount because I had previously purchased a license for my Mac and Android devices. So, the app asked for my license key, and I provided it -- and it replied that this was an invalid (see accompanying graphic). So, do I get the discount, as you indicated earlier, or do I have to pay full boat. I'm invested now, and will buy it either way, but if I don't get the discount after all this effort (especially when there are less expensive solutions being by your competitors that are getting equal if not better reviews), I will be quite disappointed and will probably express my disappointment out loud.

Thanks for your help to date.

Mac license.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phatmichaelt: Great! I'm glad you got your data to the PC! Indeed, the license key for 1Password for Mac will not work in 1Password for Windows. But, as Mike mentioned, you can use your existing license to get upgrade pricing through the AgileBits Store. If you have any trouble with your license, just shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll get things sorted out for you. Cheers! :)

• phatmichaelt
    phatmichaelt
    Community Member
    Options

ok, so now that i've done all that -- set it up on my windows pc (windows 10), i tried to synch it with my android phone (android 7.0 with latest security patch on 9/6, running on a nexus 6p).

the synch feature on the pc gives me a "secret number" but when i go to synch on my android, it doesn't ask for the number. in fact, when i go to help in the android app, it gives me instructions for screens that show things that are not on my phone, thereby giving me instructions to do things that are impossible to enact on my phone).

i'm running 1Password version 6.4.1 on my phone.

what do i do? i haven't had this much trouble with a software install since the 90's...

michael t.

• Hey @phatmichaelt,

We're sorry for the frustration this is causing you. You're almost done.
    The WLAN secret needs to be entered in the WLAN sync dialogue on your Nexus 6P before you sync.
    Our How to use the WLAN server guide explains the steps.

Please let us know if it works or if we can be of further assistance.

Cheers,

Alex

• phatmichaelt
    phatmichaelt
    Community Member
    Options

well, here is the issue -- the instructions you point me to are the same ones in the help file on my android device:

Open and unlock 1Password.
    From the navigation drawer, tap Settings > Sync.
    Turn on Sync, then tap WLAN Server.
    Tap the name of your computer.
    Enter the secret code shown on your computer, then tap Start Sync.
    Enter your Master Password.

The problem is that these instructions do not in any way reflect what's on my phone, as I wrote in the previous post. From my 1Password app on my phone, when I tap Settings=>Sync, there is no button to turn on "Synch". There is a toggle for turning on/off WLAN, and when you toggle it on, nothing happens. Nothing.

I don't want to delete and reinstall the app, as I have a partially complete database that I need (eg, banking) but does not have anything added in the last 6 months or so.

Now that I paid for my Windows version (and had also paid for my Android version) --- and had previously paid for my Mac version, I'm very frustrated and beginning to feel like a schmuck for sticking with this so long. I've been trying to get this done for a week, now.

I believe that your company should be trying to get this fixed ASAP (these daily emails are getting ridiculous), and provide some compensation to a [now] very tenuously loyal subscriber.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phatmichaelt: I'm sorry you're still having trouble with this. From your earlier screenshot, it looks like you're probably using 1Password for Windows version 4, but you haven't mentioned the version you're using on the PC. I don't see any subscription 1Password Accounts or 1Password for Windows licenses under this email address though, so be sure to let me know if we're not on the same page there.

From your description, I wonder if the trouble you're running into with setting up the WLAN Server with 1Password for Android to Wi-Fi sync is because you've already setup the app to use Dropbox instead. Is that the case? It also isn't clear from any of your comments what happened with Dropbox. Were you receiving some sort of an error when you tried to set it up? Dropbox sync is often the better option since it doesn't depend on your network configuration.

However, if 1Password for Android is already configured to sync with the WLAN Server via Wi-Fi, you may just need to start the WLAN Server in 1Password for Windows (File > Wi-Fi Sync). 1Password for Windows needs to open to this in order to transmit the data:

Your description, however, makes it sound like this is already setup in 1Password for Android...but if that's the case, it would have been paired with another server (computer) previously, which would be why it's not asking for the "secret": it already got one. Were you previously syncing your Android device with the old Mac via Wi-Fi? That would also explain why the options you're seeing don't match the guide: you've already configured that.

I'm really sorry for the back and forth, but frankly it's impossible for us to know these details otherwise. I know it's a lot of boring questions, but when anyone's important data is involved, it's really important not to make assumptions.

If you prefer email, please reply there instead. We really need to avoid splitting this conversation into multiple channels though to avoid confusion so we can get this straightened out for you. I look forward to hearing back from you!

ref: PQU-79896-187

• phatmichaelt
    phatmichaelt
    Community Member
    Options

first -- you said "From your earlier screenshot, it looks like you're probably using 1Password for Windows version 4, but you haven't mentioned the version you're using on the PC."

Um, I am using 1Password for Window v4.6.0.604. Windows 10, btw, IS running a PC...

Second, if you follow the thread, the issue was originally (a) I could not get the software to synch with between my Mac and my Android phone after an initial synch and then , of your software -- you (the company) sent me a vague twitter response on how to deal with it, which did not work; (b) I then bought a Lenovo Yoga 900s and had the issue of moving the vault over from the Mac to the Windows machine; (c) you convinced me that it would work if i licensed the product, which i did; (d) the vault finally was finally successfully moved (no thanks to the software's documentation or help functions, though); and, now (e) the thing still won't synch with my Android phone.

In the midst of all of the above -- per your instructions -- I tried the Dropbox method to move the vault from Mac to Windows, and that did not work. I ended up having to manually move the vault over.

In the one or two times where the Mac to Android synch worked, it did so over my home's private WiFi network. Then, it just stopped working -- no change to anything on my side. See (a) above.

In my latest attempt to synch from Windows to Android, I receive no error messages at all. My Windows screen looks identical, or similar, to what you pasted above. The Android screen, though, looks nothing like your documentation nor your description of the other day.

And, to your last point -- I have sent emails through to your helpdesk asking to get this resolved, but their response sends me here.

So, we're going on more than a week, now, and I'm VERY frustrated with this progress.

I realize that I don't really have much leverage, nor options on where to go -- I guess I can waste the money I've invested and go someplace else, but will have to manually input or change a lot of passwords. Or, I can simply operate two different vaults -- one on my phone, one on my PC.

However, if I take either of these routes, I will be pretty upset and take out my frustrations on social media. Most likely an idle threat, but it will probably defer at least a couple of people from spending money with you in this case. But, to be honest, you're not giving me much of a choice on what to do...

I don't have the time to invest on this back and forth any longer, and I am tiring of this daily correspondence.

• Hey @phatmichaelt. I've just replied to your email. Please have a look, and we can continue the conversation there. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.