1password 4.6.1.616 and Avast Pro hardened mode

wombat
wombat
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi Agilebits folk,

I just upgraded to the above version of 1password, and unlocking on secure desktop now has a problem with Avast Pro's 'moderate' hardened more is enabled. It was working perfectly fine with the previous 1password, but now I get a blank screen with no 1password master password prompt. Disabling hardened mode makes it work correctly. I have done this for now, but do you think you could please have a look? I'm on Windows 10 Home 64bit. Thank you.

_1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
_Extension Version: 4.6.1.616 (19)
_OS Version: Windows 10 Home 64
_Sync Type:Dropbox

Comments

• Hey @wombat,

Thanks for contacting us.

I'm aware of the "hardened mode" in Avast's programs. It's an interesting approach but it can have downsides.
    In the case you're presenting Avast seems to be using one or more measures to prevent communication between a browser or browser extension at the localhost IP address 127.0.0.1 with 1Password.

From experience the prevention of communication at the loopback address has limited security benefits on an otherwise secure system. It will definitely impede 1Password from working correctly. First because 1Password might not be able to even contact the 1Password browser extension, secondly because it breaks a new security measure introduced in the latest version of 1Password for Windows that will prevent communication between 1Password and the extension if 1Password cannot successfully establish a secure communication channel with the extension.

This is something you might want to talk to Avast about. It's definitely something you should be able to configure in their software.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Cheers,

Alex

• wombat
    wombat
    Community Member

Hi Alex, thanks for the explanation. It is configurable and I turned that feature off.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Good to know. Thanks for following up! On behalf of Alex, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that you're able to use 1Password again. :)

This discussion has been closed.