Authorize if the code matches.....it doesn't match

I have installed 1Password on a new Windows laptop. When I tried to set up the browser extension, I keep getting the popup box telling me to authorize if the code matches but it doesn't. I get different codes in the popup box but the box in my browser always says 123456. This is in Firefox. I am syncing through Dropbox which is installed on a secondary drive if that matters.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.6.16
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:authorize if the code matches firefox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@larea: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! It sounds like you're getting the "123456" placeholder code because something is interfering with the connection. This is exactly why we implemented this feature! Definitely do not authorize it if they do not match! Do you have "security" software or other extensions which may be intercepting the communications? If 1Password cannot establish a secure connection to the browser, the extension will not work. Please let me know what you find!

• anita_sales
    anita_sales
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue, and use both Chrome and Firefox. Chrome I was able to authorize with little trouble post update, but Firefox continues to give me the 123456 default authorization string. Any recommendations as to what could be limiting my connection to Firefox, but not Chrome?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@anita_sales: "Security" software. There are few other reasons 1Password would be unable to connect to the browser securely. And for some reason these seem to target Firefox more than Chrome. Otherwise, you may simply need to update Firefox and reboot if it's stuck.

• larea
    larea
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Okay, for no apparent reason after a large number of unsuccessful attempts, the code matched so I authorized it. On my next reboot I was told by Windows that I needed to back up an encryption key and was given multiple formats that I know nothing about. Can you explain this? When I type cipher /u on the command line the encrypted file causing this is in AppData under AgileBits and called OPX4.auth. Is there any reason I need to keep a backup of the certificate created by 1Password, and do I need this file? Thanks!

• @larea

We're still curious why the previous attempts at getting a matched pair of codes but as long as it works for you, that's good.

As for the backup prompt: Yes, you should definitely back up your Windows encryption keys. We're using Windows' built-in EFS (Encrypting File System) to secure your files on the drive when you download attachments and also use it to protect certain files that's used for communicating between the 1Password browser extensions and 1Password mini (you may have noticed the new pairing setup recently).

The file you found is the authorisation file used for the pairing setup between the extensions and 1Password 4 Helper, you might still have 1Password 4 installed alongside 1Password 6.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Alex

• larea
    larea
    Community Member

I was about to say nothing was different but I may have updated Firefox between the unsuccessful attempts and the successful one. This is a Windows machine and a brand new install of 1Password, but I'm pretty sure it's not version 6. My Macs are all on 6. Is there a 6 for Windows with the stand alone license?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@larea: 1Password 6 doesn't have support for local vaults yet (like the ones you're using in 1Password 4), but we'll be adding that in a future version. For now, 1Password 4 is still more fully-featured anyway, so there's no need to change. 1Password 6 is only needed if you're using the new 1Password subscription service, since 1Password 4 cannot support that. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.