How can I make "The 1Password Extension is ready to go" page go away every time 1Password starts?

Options
rogerdar
rogerdar
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

How can I make https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html -- the "The 1Password Extension is ready to go" web page -- quit popping up every time I start 1Password 6.3.3 up in the Firefox 48.0.2.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:password extension web page

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rogerdar,

We've had one other report but to the best of my knowledge we have yet to figure out the cause. I have a couple of questions just to see how similar this is to the other report.

1. Is the issue present straight after restarting your Mac?
    2. When you say start 1Password in Firefox do you mean you're clicking on the 1Password Firefox Extension icon?
    3. Is the issue present if you launch and unlock 1Password before starting Firefox?
    4. Is the issue present in any other browser you may have on this Mac such as Safari or Chrome?

We definitely don't want the welcome page appearing every time so once we can figure out why we'll definitely work on this, it's just at the moment we haven't been able to replicate this so we're still in the discovery stage.

• michaelk842
    michaelk842
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem, though interittently, maybe a third of the time. It happens when I click on the little 1P icon. Haven't seen it on Chrome, which I don't use that often.

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

For Littlebobbytables: Not doing it now after I restarted, at least not yet.

Q1.  Is the issue present straight after restarting your Mac?
          A. No, at least not after I just now restarted the Mac.
    Q2. When you say start 1Password in Firefox do you mean you're clicking on the 1Password Firefox Extension icon?
          A. Yes
    Q3. Is the issue present if you launch and unlock 1Password before starting Firefox?
           A. Not when I just did that.
    Q4. Is the issue present in any other browser you may have on this Mac such as Safari or Chrome?
           A. Not when I just tried Safari.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rogerdar,

Please do let us know if the issue returns. Maybe something just needed a kick in the pants that the reboot provided. It will be hard to say either way until you've used the Mac for a while. If the issue returns then the reboot and pause in the bad behaviour is either a clue or a red herring.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@michaelk842, I would be interested to know your answers to the questions I asked rogerdar.

• mrobr
    mrobr
    Community Member
    Options

Same here on a Mac with Chrome (Version 53.0.2785.143)

1P Version 6.3.3
    1P extension 4.6.1.90

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrobr,

Your answers to the questions that littlebobbytables asked rogerdar above would also be helpful. Thanks!

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Just did it again -- less than a day after reboot. I rebooted again just now, not doing it at the moment.

• mrobr
    mrobr
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @sjk,

attached the answers to your questions, here the problem exists with Chrome instead of firefox.

• Is the issue present straight after restarting your Mac?
      The new tab pops up NOT immediately after restarting, it pops up when clicking on the chrome extension.

• When you say start 1Password in Chrome do you mean you're clicking on the 1Password Firefox Extension icon?
      Yes

• Is the issue present if you launch and unlock 1Password before starting Chrome?
      Seems NOT to happen, if 1Password is lunched and unlocked before. Will observe this and inform you if this will change the next days.

• Is the issue present in any other browser you may have on this Mac such as Safari or Firefox?
      Tried it with firefox and safari and it does NOT happen with this browsers.

Cheers
    Michael

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up, Michael. It does sound like perhaps the 1Password background process is not yet launched when this happens. If you restart your computer and then check your running process (Task Manager on Windows, Activity Monitor on Mac), do you see the 1Password helper running? On Windows it is called Agile1PAgent and on Mac, 1Password mini.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

1Passwird mini seems to be launching OK, but then the unwanted web page isn't springing up by itself at the moment.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming that, @rogerdar. I'm not fond of mysteriously self-resolving issues, but if things are working for you, I'll take that as a win…

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Things are only working for me until they don't work . . .

Just as in life itself.

• mrobr
    mrobr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jamie, @jxpx777

like rogerdar reported yesterday already, 1P mini helper is launching correctly and no extra popup is launching.

Best

Michael

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update, folks. Of course, if the problem does recur, please let us know so we can dig in further and find the issue.

• mrobr
    mrobr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jamie, @jxpx777

it just pops up again. :((
    It happens not while clicking on the extension in chrome, it happens, when iam right clicking on the website and using the "right click menu" and choosing 1P.

Think you should have a look again...

Michael

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

I think the best solution is to change https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html -- from "The 1Password Extension is ready to go," to "Here's a coupon for $20 that you can get redeemed by AgileBits."

• mrobr
    mrobr
    Community Member
    Options

Today it happened again while clicking on the extension in chrome, it's really annoying... :(

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Just did it again, with Firefox, and 1Password Mini is running.

Why do your managers think you need to do the cutsie trick of flipping to a marketing web page anyway? Basically I'm ready to start shopping for a different password manager, this is inexcusably annoying just so the programmers can show off a little bit.

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Partial correction to my last entry -- it wasn't the "The 1Password Extension is ready to go" on https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html, it was "Looking for the 1Password app -- The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly" on https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html, apparently the same page as before but different text, when, of course, the 1Password app is installed just fine as it has been from the beginning.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rogerdar,

It's not meant as a marketing gimmick or any attempt to show off. The intent of the page being displayed at all is for when there are connection issues. If the extension believes it cannot connect to 1Password mini/helper it opens a new tab and displays the welcome page which despite its name is a landing page for all extension related matters.

During testing we never came across the situation where the page would repeatedly show but since releasing the latest version we have had a small number of reports where it seems to be needlessly showing. There is a configuration we clearly didn't think to test and we're trying to determine what it is.

It could be a timing issue. Due to the restrictions in place the extension has very few options to determine if the 1Password mini/helper process is present. If we send a message and get a reply we can say it's working. If we don't get a reply it can be anything from 1Password isn't on the system, the mini/helper process isn't running, something is blocking the communication (anti-virus, firewalls, parental control software, ad-blockers, proxies & VPNs are just a few that might) or for some reason the mini/helper process is really slow to respond. As soon as we can figure out why it happens for a small subset of our users we will fix it as it's very easy to imagine how annoying it is. The trouble is we haven't found the right conditions to reliably reproduce making it difficult to know if we've correctly identified the issue and whether a fix works.

As a Mac user 1Password mini should be launching on startup. So when the extension tries to communicate with it the response should be immediate and no need for the extension to believe there is an issue. I don't know if it will tell us anything but it could be worth reviewing a diagnostic report from your Mac.

Would you mind doing the following please.

1. Reboot your Mac so we're starting from a known point.
    2. Launch Firefox and click on the 1Password Firefox Extension to cause it to show the welcome page.
    3. Create a diagnostic report, the following link will guide you through the process.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report maybe we can understand what is different and hopefully be able to create an environment where we can reliably replicate the issue.

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Done.

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

So, as I said in the email yesterday, in Preferences the Always Keep `Password Mini box is already checked.

This morning it gave me the "Learn 1Password" video screen, which is the most annoying thing of all.

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

PS - which I've already watched all the way through before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rogerdar: Thanks! Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything from this email address, but if you'll post the Support ID you received here we'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks in advance! :)

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I moved and have new email address. I just changed my profile to update the email, which was where the diagnostics report was sent from on 10/17.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rogerdar: No problem! Hopefully the hard work is finished! Thanks for following up. I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: QKX-96868-477

• mrobr
    mrobr
    Community Member
    Options

here it is still happening too, again and again...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mrobr: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry to hear that. Something must really be amiss there.

At this point, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue (with the page showing again), and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this!

• mrobr
    mrobr
    Community Member
    Options

Does not happen again since my last comment. If it will happen again, I will send you an report.
    Thanks

Michael

This discussion has been closed.