How can I make "The 1Password Extension is ready to go" page go away every time 1Password starts?

Options

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @mrobr. Do let us know if you have any other issues and we'll happily investigate further.

Cheers!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• stevefal
    stevefal
    Community Member
    Options

I've had this issue as well for a while. Just now getting around to addressing it. This started happening with a recent iPassword update. I don't know which one. The the repro for me is straightforward:

1) enable all my add-ons - I'm using 5 besides 1Password
    2) quit Firefox
    3) start Firefox, and immediately...
    4) click the iPassword toolbar button - as soon as it appears
    5) OBSERVE: new tab created with "the 1Password extension is ready blah blah"

This happens every time. However, if I disable all or most of my add-ons, it does not happen.

I assume that in the breakdown case, loading/init of my other add-ons is taking long enough that 1Password is not ready before I click on it's toolbar button.

I tried to isolate the interference to one add-on, and determined that it is a function of how many are enabled, not which ones.

Waiting for 1Password to catch up is tolerable, but the "ta-da" web page is annoying. Maybe there could be a flag to show it only once per initial installation or whatever.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevefal & @rogerdar,

How would you feel about trying out our latest beta of the extension. With the assistance from another 1Password user there is the possibility we've identified what was happening. Now because I wasn't personally affected I don't know for sure that we've fixed it, just that there's a reasonable possibility that we have. If you're interested here is what you will want to do.

1. Uninstall the current stable version of the 1Password Firefox Extension.
    2. Restart Firefox. It's the only safe way to ensure weird caching issues don't result in flaky behaviour.
    3. Install the beta 1Password Firefox Extension.

It's thankfully just as easy to return to the stable version by installing using this link for the stable 1Password Firefox Extension.

I would love to know if the beta helps though, just as much as you would love it if we didn't repeatedly show the welcome page :wink: Hopefully we've got it licked!

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Installed the beta extension, I'll let you know.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Finger crossed, and toes, for it to work well for you, @rogerdar. :)

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

So far, so good . . . .

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Still OK.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1::chuffed:

• stevefal
    stevefal
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

The issue still occurs for me with the beta version. Same repro as I described earlier.

Maybe you can reproduce there by installing the same add-ons I have:

ublock Origin
    Tree-Style Tab
    Self-Destructing Cookies
    Google Search Link Fix
    F.B. Purity

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Out of curiosity, @stevefal, have you tried creating a test profile with just 1Password installed to see if you get the same behavior?

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Still OK.

• stevefal
    stevefal
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777, no, because as I said, if I disable all or most of my add-ons, it does not happen. Tell me if I'm missing something.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@stevefal: I apologize if I'm missing something too, but if I'm understanding you correctly then it sounds like 1Password isn't the problem at all if it works when other extensions are disabled (and therefore not interfering). Is it one extension in particular that's causing the issue, or some specific combination?

The only one on that list that I'm familiar with as being a possible culprit is Ublock Origin. But I say "possible" because a number of folks here use it with default settings without issue, so I wonder if you've modified it, or it's simply damaged. Let me know what you find!

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Everything still OK, the extension says it's 1Password 4.6.2.b3.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rogerdar: Awesome! Thanks so much for following up! I know at least one guy who wracked his brain trying to figure that out who will be glad to hear his efforts seem to be paying off. Cheers! :)

• stevefal
    stevefal
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, as I explained, it is not one in particular, but that a number of them are enabled. I assume it's a race condition in 1Password that occurs while extensions consume resources before initialization completes. Since it is 1Password that displays the "ta-da" page, I don't know how other extensions could cause the issue. But I can imagine that they could reveal it.

I've given the steps to reproduce, including one set of extensions that are enough to show the problem. Maybe Agilebits can try to reproduce the issue with the information I've provided, in order to debug it directly.

Again, this issue started with a recent 1Password update.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevefal,

Out of simple curiosity I will see if I can replicate but given the struggle we've had so far replicating the situation it's genuinely hard to say if we will experience the same result. Given your experiences are consistent I am curious about something, what happens if you don't try clicking the icon instantly, what happens if you give Firefox a second or so to finish loading everything up? I only ask because you've got such a good test environment.

Let's say a moment or two is all that is needed. What I would infer from this is you're seeing an extended version of what the fix tried to address and that is that Firefox simply hasn't initialised completely and it is impossible for the extension to initiate a connection attempt with 1Password. It seems like we've got two options, either show the page or do nothing at all when you click the button. The page serves multiple uses, one of which is to ask Firefox to launch 1Password based on the assumption that it simply isn't running and we need the page for that, the extension cannot do perform this task itself. I'm not convinced doing nothing is a great option though as nobody likes an unresponsive user interface.

It may also be something else of course, if it is maybe we get lucky and your combination of extensions highlights it.

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Still OK.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rogerdar,

That's great news @rogerdar. While we still have something to figure out with @stevefal it sounds as if the proposed fix has helped for you (and hopefully others too).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevefal,

I've now had the opportunity to test a clean copy of Firefox in a VM with the same set of extensions you have. If I'm really quick I can reproduce and it is an continuation of the same issue. The set of extensions you have seem to really slow down Firefox fully initialising. As a result the 1Password extension simply cannot connect to 1Password as Firefox is not in a state where it will allow the connection to be created. The positive angle is that the fix we put in place in BETA-3 should be helping reduce this significantly and if you don't attempt to click on the 1Password Firefox Extension icon immediately (as in give it maybe a second or two?) you shouldn't see the welcome page.

If you're finding differently there could be something else to delve into but at the moment it seems like it's all to do with Firefox not being ready when you try to use the 1Password Firefox extension. I will be interested to learn if you find differently though.

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Still OK, no issues since installing the beta extension. Using beta 1Password Firefox extension 4.6.2.b3.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @rogerdar,

I'm confident we've got at least your situation conquered now based on the good news you've been reporting :smile: I suspect we'll be able to move forward and with a little luck everybody else that has been in your situation well see the same results.

• stevefal
    stevefal
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables, yes the issue only occurs when I try to use the 1P extension right after starting Firefox. If I wait a while, everything works normally without the ta-da page.

However, using the 1P extension right after starting FF is something I do often, as it's my most direct method of both navigating and logging into a site.

As to a possible solution, in the case where the user summons the 1P extension before/without 1P running, the extension could display the extension UI with "Connecting to 1Password..." for, say two seconds. If FF initialization completes within that time, the extension can then connect and display the master password UI (no ta-da page). If it cannot connect after the timeout, then the extension can create the 1P launch page under the assumption that 1P is not even running.

Optionally, the extension could attempt reconnecting on a loop during the 2 second timeout. That enhancement would minimize unnecessary delay to the user.

For users like me, this approach would alleviate the scenario where we have to close the superfluous ta-da page. It also alleviates the impression of a 1Password breakdown or flaw, which is what brought me here in the first place.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @stevefal,

We've just released version 4.6.2 as it will help the majority of users who have experienced issues with the welcome page appearing but it won't help with the scenario you've described. We've got an idea of what may help improve the UI (User Interface) so that it causes less confusion and we hope to start working on it for one of the next betas.

ref: OPX-1268

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Trouble in paradise -- I just got the "✅ The 1Password Extension is ready to go Learn how to use 1Password in your browser" web page again, after several days if no issues. Extension is still 4.6.2.b3.

Should I install 4.6.2, do you supppose?

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Just got it again, for the second time in a row.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @rogerdar,

4.6.2 is identical to 4.6.2.BETA-3 so I wouldn't expect to see any difference in behaviour between the two.

What I would be interested in learning is how you were interacting with Firefox when it happened. As we know from the conversation with stevefal, certain extensions will cause Firefox to take longer to initialise. If this is the case then giving Firefox just a second or two before clicking on the extension icon is sufficient. One of the things we will look at is how to ensure the button can only be used when both Firefox and the extension are ready. This is an extension of the original issue which would result in about 30 seconds or so of the extension being unavailable for use and this was a bug. This timing issue is a bit different, we can't create a WebSocket connection if the WebSocket function has not been initialised, the duty of Firefox. So here we need to alter the UI so it can't be interacted with in this pre-ready state.

Are you trying to click on the 1Password Firefox Extension icon as soon as it appears or are you finding this is happening in other circumstances?

• rogerdar
    rogerdar
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox has been running continuously when it happens these last two times, several hours usually, not when initializing. Firefox only quits when I reboot, and in the past the problem has occurred only infrequently upon reboot, but usually not, almost always when Firefox has been running for awhile.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

Greetings @rogerdar,

Something must be disrupting the connection if it's happening long after you started Firefox. Getting the relevant information out of Firefox is a bit of a pain so I will contact you via email to see if you can dig up some information for us the next time it happens.

ref: UML-81383-267

This discussion has been closed.