Firefox compatibility

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: can't install firefox extension.

Comments

• ducktape
    ducktape
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi kimblair,

Just to get this strait, I purchase 1Password 18 month ago and now I have to pay again (32.49 us) for the new version to work with Firefox because Firefox has change some programming.

Is this correct...

Ducktape

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ducktape: Nope. If you purchased 1Password within the past 19 months, you'll have a license for the current stable version — whether that be 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows in your case, since it wasn't clear from your comments. If you'll let me know the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, I'll be happy to help you get things setup.

I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion than the old one with another user's specific issue where you initially posted. I don't see any 1Password 3 licenses under this email address, and since we didn't sell 1Password 3 anymore since 2014 I'm guessing you purchased something else. Let me know! :)

• ducktape
    ducktape
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Brenty,

Using version 4.6.1.616 for Windows 10 and my account Email is linformatique@ducktape.biz

I need to use 1Password with Firefox (this is a big issue with me) and all I know is that there is not update for Firefox is this correct ?

Regards,

Ducktape

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ducktape: Thanks for confirming! I've moved this discussion to the Windows category since that's the version you're using.

You can definitely use 1Password 4 with Firefox. Since you have the latest version of the app, it sounds like you may have either an outdated extension, Firefox needs to be updated, or both. Please do the following:

1. Remove the 1Password extension from Firefox
    2. Go to Firefox Help > About and update it completely
    3. Restart Windows
    4. Install the current version of the 1Password extension

At this point, when you try to use the extension, you should be shown a webpage and a popup from the app as well. The codes in both of these should match, and then you can authorize the connection and you're good to go. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• JohnnyH
    JohnnyH
    Community Member
    Options

In Windows 10, using Firefox. 1Password doesn't open in a current tab - only when I start a new tab.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JohnnyH: Can you tell me what you mean by "1Password doesn't open in a current tab - only when I start a new tab"? Were you able to follow the suggestions in my previous post? Let me know the exact steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening as you expect. Also, be sure to tell me the version of Firefox you're using.

It sounds like you may simply need to set 1Password to open logins in the current tab if that's your preference:

I was able to open a login in Firefox both from the main 1Password app and directly from within the browser using the extension. Let me know what's different in your case. We'll get to the bottom of this! :)

• JohnnyH
    JohnnyH
    Community Member
    Options

As you suggested, I removed the extension, discovered that Firefox is up to date (49.0.1), restarted Windows, and clicked on the above link to install the current version of the extension. Got the message that the install was successful, but the 1Password icon does not appear in the menu bar, as it did before. Tools-Addon Manager shows 1Password in its list of extensions, however.

• ducktape
    ducktape
    Community Member
    Options

Hi JohnnyH,

The problem seem to come from Firefox, I reinstalled it and then followed your instruction now all is OK.

Thank you,

Ducktape

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The problem seem to come from Firefox, I reinstalled it and then followed your instruction now all is OK.

@ducktape: That's great! I'm glad to hear it's working for you now. :)

Got the message that the install was successful, but the 1Password icon does not appear in the menu bar, as it did before. Tools-Addon Manager shows 1Password in its list of extensions, however.

@JohnnyH: Either something is really interfering there, or your Firefox profile is corrupt. Des the keyboard short cut (Ctrl \) work? Are you able to add the 1Password button to the Firefox toolbar? If you've already disabled antivirus and extensions and it still isn't showing up or working for you, definitely try creating a new profile. Let me know how it turns out!

• JohnnyH
    JohnnyH
    Community Member
    Options

Back after a couple of weeks vacation, to take your advice. 'Refreshing' Firefox, followed by a reinstallation of the extension, did the trick.

New question:
    In Windows 10, 1Password version 6.1.296d, I see 2 vaults: 1Password(Dropbox) and Personal(my name).

My Dropbox folder structure goes: Dropbox>Apps>1Password>1Password.opvault>default

The entries in the Personal(my name) vault came from entries I made in Windows; while the entries in the 1Password(Dropbox) vault came from entries I made in my iPod (iOS 10, app 6.4.5). I don't need or want the Family or Team account, but I would like to use only one Personal vault, synced via Dropbox.

How do I do that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Back after a couple of weeks vacation, to take your advice. 'Refreshing' Firefox, followed by a reinstallation of the extension, did the trick.

@JohnnyH: Excellent! Thanks for the update. :)

In Windows 10, 1Password version 6.1.296d, I see 2 vaults: 1Password(Dropbox) and Personal(my name). My Dropbox folder structure goes: Dropbox>Apps>1Password>1Password.opvault>default
    The entries in the Personal(my name) vault came from entries I made in Windows; while the entries in the 1Password(Dropbox) vault came from entries I made in my iPod (iOS 10, app 6.4.5). I don't need or want the Family or Team account, but I would like to use only one Personal vault, synced via Dropbox. How do I do that?

The Personal vault is part of your 1Password Account, so it cannot be sync'd via Dropbox or used without the subscription service. But you can remove the account from the app(s) and sync your Dropbox vault between all of them:

Dropbox sync setup

The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not support local vaults, so you'll need to copy the data in the 1Password Account you don't want to the vault in Dropbox using 1Password for iOS.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.