Microsoft Edge support as extension

Options

I'm on 1Password Cloud, on the latest version 6.x.
when you plan to support Microsoft Edge?
i can see other tools already been released, like LastPass

1Password Version: 6.0.269d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello there @alexmagik,

Microsoft Edge is a great browser and we would like to provide our customers with 1Password extension, but we can't do it right now – there are some technical limitations that prevent 1Password from connecting to Microsoft Edge at the moment and we're working with Microsoft on eliminating them.

For the time being, though, you'll have to use Chrome, Firefox, or Opera. I hope for your understanding.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• alexmagik
    alexmagik
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Greg,
    always good to know that it's coming :)
    i'm usually on Chrome, which is fine, but i'm getting sporadic issues with it due to be in China (google is blocked here). Therefore will be great to support Edge.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@alexmagik: I can totally understand that. Everyone has their own reasons to use Microsoft Edge and we respect that. :+1: We want to have 1Password extension for Edge, but it is not possible at the moment, so I don't have any timeframes for you, sorry.

Thanks for using 1Password and keeping your data safe!

++
    Greg

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @cobaltjacket,

Sure, you can read my post here on the technical issues. Basically, Edge's extensions API do not permit any official method of communicating between Edge and a local desktop program. We've reached out to Microsoft a few times and unfortunately, there's still no progress on an official support for this. All of the other browsers support localhost websockets and some support a potential replacement API, Native Messaging, that we could use. Edge doesn't support either.

1Password isn't the only one affected, there are a few products like us that has the same issue.

• Brothernod
    Brothernod
    Community Member
    Options

I very much appreciate the candor, as this is also a feature important to me.

Would you say that the lack of local app interaction is a security concern on Microsoft's part, and a deliberate decision?
    Or is this more a result of Edge Extensions being very new, and I guess unfinished?

Thanks

• Hi guys,

@brothernod,

Would you say that the lack of local app interaction is a security concern on Microsoft's part, and a deliberate decision?
    Or is this more a result of Edge Extensions being very new, and I guess unfinished?

Microsoft (other vendors too in the past) has some valid concerns about localhost and they don't want to permit this. That's okay with us, the question then becomes, is there a way for an Edge extension to communicate securely to another program on the same system? Right now, there isn't or if there is, we haven't been told yet. If they implement Native Messaging, we'd love to use it. Native Messaging doesn't require localhost at all.

Native Messaging is a part of the Chrome's extension APIs and Microsoft did say they want to make Edge identical to Chrome in that aspect, which may answer the second question of if it is new and not fully implemented yet.

@cobaltjacket,

Strangely, the specs for these APIs are published, but they are not as of yet implemented.

Yep, it can take a while to implement all APIs and there is a lot of them. 1Password is usually in the minority when it comes to extensions that requires local file access since many extensions can connect to remote backends.

And yes, we are looking at the potential of having a 1Password.com self-contained extension alongside these local extensions for standalone users.

• shivanshugoyal0111
    shivanshugoyal0111
    Community Member
    Options

Now there is native messaging support using which edge extension can communicate with another native application(native host ) running in system. but in order to have that communication, that native host must be uwp application, i have my chrome extension that talks to my native application using native proxy, so i want to know is there any way to make the communication possible from edge extension to my existing native application without changing it to uwp application

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shivanshugoyal0111: That isn't possible. Unless Microsoft changes how this works in the future, UWP is a requirement to have access to the APIs we need to integrate with Edge. I am enjoying Native Messaging in Chrome though, and hoping we can have 1Password working in Edge too in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.