Firefox not updating extension

Comments

• sunhat66
    sunhat66
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. I am prompted to update my Firefox extension. A new tab is created and https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions opens in it. I click the Big Green Install Button. I get the expected "Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer" message. I click the Allow button. Then I get an error message saying "Add on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure."

When I try the link in the "Your download will begin automatically within a few seconds. If not, please download the extension from its alternate location (AgileBits server, hosted on Amazon EC2)." sentence, the same thing happens.

• sunhat66
    sunhat66
    Community Member

I do have Firefox set to update add-ons automatically, FYI. That doesn't seem to be working, as my last update was August 20, 2016.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I do have Firefox set to update add-ons automatically, FYI. That doesn't seem to be working, as my last update was August 20, 2016.

@sunhat66: Thanks for mentioning that. I was just about to ask you to check. Firefox does usually update automatically...but it is unpredictable in my experience. The fact that it hasn't updated in months though is strange. At the very least, you can uninstall the old 1Password extension and install the latest version from the AgileBits website:

1Password browser extensions

But you may want to consider reinstalling Firefox and/or creating a new profile. I would hate for you to have to install every update manually. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• sunhat66
    sunhat66
    Community Member

I uninstalled the 1Password extension, uninstalled Firefox, re-installed Firefox, and tried to re-install the 1Password extension. Still getting the "Add on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure." error message.

Not sure what you mean by creating a new profile. I don't have a Firefox profile that I know of?

Google Chrome updated the 1Password extension with no problems.

• @sunhat66 Which anti-malware software are you using? There are sometimes issues with some anti-malware programs and add-on installations in Firefox, as you might've read in the original thread.

In the meantime, following the instructions in the If you can't install the 1Password extension on your Windows PC will at least give you the current version of the extension.

Cheers,

Alex

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sunhat66: Sorry for the confusion! You can learn more about Firefox profiles in the Mozilla knowledgebase. Cheers! :)

• sunhat66
    sunhat66
    Community Member

I am using Bitdefender. According to your website, Bitdefender + Firefox means a manual update is needed. AlexHoffman, thank you for that link, so I could download and install in two separate steps. That was the key! Every link I tried took me to that Big Green Button, which combines the two steps and doesn't work for my setup.

• You're welcome, @sunhat66.

We apologise for the inconvenience. We're going to reach out to BitDefender again about this but it might help if one of their paying customers does so, too. Feel free to point them at us if they require more information.
    We'd love to get this fixed once and for all.

Cheers and have a great weekend!

Alex

• sunhat66
    sunhat66
    Community Member

I'm not sure I'm a "paying customer" as I am using their free download (I have donated to them, but that's voluntary), but I will let them know. Thanks.

• Hi @sunhat66,

You're still their customer, regardless of how you're using them. You can also mention that we'd be happy to work with them directly if they want.

This discussion has been closed.