4.6.1.616 check for new version is broken

Hello

4.6.1.616 on windows 7 broke the check new version feature.
When I invoke it via the menu I get an error message

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @zfil,

There's a global certificate issue that's affecting a lot of services right now, it also affects our secure pages including the app-update servers.

You can check on the progress of that issue here: https://www.globalsign.com/en/status/

• zfil
    zfil
    Community Member

Ok thanks Mike ! Cool to see that is just a transient problem then :)

• Thanks for reporting this by the way.

You're welcome. We will be keeping an eye on this all day long. For now, there is no newer update, 4.6.1.616 is the latest update.

• harrismd80
    harrismd80
    Community Member

I've installed the Demo 1Password program and I've been using it for at least a month and I've installed the updated version; 4.6.1.616. When I click on Help; Check for New Version, I get the following error: "An internal error unrelated to the peer or the correctness of the protocol makes it impossible to continue (such as a memory allocation failure). This message is always fatal." I also get the following message when I close my Asus tablet that has Windows 10 as it's shutting down: "Explorer.exe - Application Error: (some numbers and letters and then) The memory could not be written." What do I need to do to get the program to work properly?

Thanks in advance,
    David Harris

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:I've installed the Demo 1Password program and I've been using it for at least a month and I've installed the updated version; 4.6.1.616. When I click on Help; Check for New Version, I get the following error: "An internal error unrelated to the peer or the correctness of the protocol makes it impossible to continue (such as a memory allocation failure). This message is always fatal." I also get the following message when I close my Asus tablet that has Windows 10 as it's shutting down: "Explorer.exe - Application Error: (some numbers and letters and then) The memory could not be written." What do I need to do to get the program to work properly? Thanks in advance, David Harris

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @harrismd80,

I've merged your thread into this thread about the same issue, which is caused by a third party vendor that's having an issue with verifying certificates and so 1Password is denying connections that can't be verified.

Once they've fixed it, 1Password will then be able to check for an update securely. Right now, there is no new version available, you're all up to date.

• harrismd80
    harrismd80
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've looked at the links to do with GlobalSign and tried to clear the cache. Nothing different and I'll be honest with you... I'm not sure what GlobalSign is or what it has to do with 1Password. I also went to the control panel in my Win10 and looked at "Manage computer certificates" and I really don't know much about that either. I have to be led step by step when it comes to things that I'm not sharp on. When I went to GlobalSign, there was so much info on the site, I ended being more confused. Oh, and I know I have the most updated version of 1Password, but I just wanted to get rid of the errors... especially the one when I shut down the tablet.

Thanks again.
    Dave

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@harrismd80: GlobalSign is a Root Certificate Authority. When there's a problem with one of those, it basically breaks the chain of trust that SSL/TLS browser security is built on, and secure connections cannot be established properly. As you can imagine, AgileBits servers use secure connections to make sure that no one poses as us to give people malicious files.

The link Mike provided used to include information on how to clear the cache, but they seem to have since removed it. Here's the page it originally pointed to, which has instructions on how to do this:

https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1353318-view-and-or-delete-crl-ocsp-cache

So far we've been discussing an error that comes up when trying to update. Can you tell me what you mean by "the one when I shut down the tablet"? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance!

• harrismd80
    harrismd80
    Community Member

Brenty,

Thanks so much for your input to my question. Your question about what I meant by "the one when I shut down the tablet?" is referring to my original post above where I said, {I also get the following message when I close my Asus tablet that has Windows 10 as it's shutting down: "Explorer.exe - Application Error: (some numbers and letters and then) The memory could not be written."}

Now what you sent me, I was able to see from MikeT's post and I did everything that it said. I guess I'm on the right track, but it didn't work and I think I need to add some more to the line when I type in the commands because it didn't delete anything. I would have pictured the command delete would have done it but all I got was this after scrolling for 212 entries. I did not copy and past the whole list but I typed in at the command prompt the following, "certutil -urlcache * delete" (minus quotes) :

http://ocsp.digicert.com/MFEwTzBNMEswSTAJBgUrDgMCGgUABBTPJvUY+sl+j4yzQuAcL2oQno5fCgQUUWj/kK8CB3U8zNllZGKiErhZcjsCEA2cChWo4fPillbq/Wkq4+E=

http://ocsp.digicert.com/MFEwTzBNMEswSTAJBgUrDgMCGgUABBTPJvUY+sl+j4yzQuAcL2oQno5fCgQUUWj/kK8CB3U8zNllZGKiErhZcjsCEAL6f+VpFDwlPlE8SWYKekk=

WinHttp Cache entries deleted: 212

CertUtil: -URLCache command FAILED: 0x80070103 (WIN32/HTTP: 259 ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS)
    CertUtil: No more data is available.

C:\Users\harri>

All said and done, but it still does the same thing.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @harrismd80,

I did the same commands as they've suggested and it doesn't resolve the issue for me. In fact, it doesn't do it on macOS either, I see the same certificate issues on both platforms in various 1Password services, including 1Password.com sites.

Unfortunately, while they've fixed it on their side, such certificate issues have a 4-5 day cache reset, meaning it is going to take some time for everyone to have their cache reset automatically.

I am triple-checking with our developers to make sure this is in fact the cause and nothing else.

• harrismd80
    harrismd80
    Community Member

Thank MikeT for checking into this. Keep me posted when you know something.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for your input to my question. Your question about what I meant by "the one when I shut down the tablet?" is referring to my original post above where I said, {I also get the following message when I close my Asus tablet that has Windows 10 as it's shutting down: "Explorer.exe - Application Error: (some numbers and letters and then) The memory could not be written."}

@harrismd80: Thanks for getting back to me. I was concerned that you were also having another issue with 1Password, but if it's Explorer.exe that's just Windows. Hopefully you don't have any further issues with that.

We've been looking into this and so far we don't have any new information. It seems like we'll all just have to ride the cache out, but we'll follow up if anything else comes to light.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @harrismd80,

Please give it a try now, it should be resolved and find no new updates for you. It is working for us now.

This discussion has been closed.