Syncing secondary vault

Hi,
I have 1Password in use on my Mac and my iPhone/iPad. There is one Primary Vault that is synced via iCloud. So far so good.
In addition to that I have 1Password also in use on an additional Windows PC. The vault used there is independant from the other vault. However I would like to sync this vault as a secondary vault with my iPhone ideally via WLAN Sync.
Is this possible ?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @SnowFox,

Thanks for writing in and we do apologize for replying with a complex answer because there isn't a simple solution for your needs.

If you're willing to use Dropbox, then it is possible to sync the secondary vaults from your iOS devices to your additional desktops. However, WLAN sync isn't possible for secondary vaults in the iOS app, only Dropbox. macOS and iOS versions of 1Password can use WLAN sync from the primary vault only and if you do this, then you gain the ability to sync the other secondary vaults as well. In this setup, they combine all vaults into one database to sync via WLAN. The problem is, the 1Password 4 for Windows app doesn't support databases like that and so it will only sync with the primary vault in this specific setup.

The other option, if you're looking for automatic cloud sync for all of your vaults, is our 1Password.com cloud subscription with 1Password 6 for Windows, which you can sync with all vaults in all 1Password apps including web access to 1Password.com web app.

• SnowFox
    SnowFox
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

thanks for the description. Unfortunately that all is not my preferred solution.
    Especially I do not want to use a cloud based password vault due to various reasons.

Then my only chance is to use Dropbox or do not sync.

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason of not making WLAN sync available for additional use cases.
    From my outside view it should not be much of an issue as it seems not to be much difference to a Dropbox based
    sync mechanism.

Additional question:
    Will there be an upgrade possibility for 1Password 4 for Windows users to Version 6 without changing to a
    subscription based model ?

• Hey @SnowFox,

Thanks for your comments and critique. We appreciate it!

From my outside view it should not be much of an issue as it seems not to be much difference to a Dropbox based sync mechanism.

1Password 4 doesn't have the concept of a database. It always writes directly into a vault file (.agilekeychain, .opvault). As Mike explained the fact that the macOS and iOS versions of 1Password have a database and can sync the entire database via WLAN and not just a singular vault, allows this to work over WLAN.

We do apologise for the inconvenience.

Will there be an upgrade possibility for 1Password 4 for Windows users to Version 6 without changing to a subscription based model ?

That is the plan, yes. We're going to introduce the licensing model and read/write support for local vaults in the future.

With all this said: have you considered giving the subscription product a try? 1Password.com is not your typical cloud product.
    You said that you have reasons for not wanting a cloud solution and I'm genuinely curious what they are.

Cheers,

Alex

• SnowFox
    SnowFox
    Community Member

Hi Alex,

thanks for the reply and the technical description regarding the limitation. Now I understand the reason.

Regarding the subscription model, my first reason is that I have bought my license some months ago and I simply do not want to pay double. Maybe at a later point when comparing a paid upgrade to the subscription model this may change. Beside that I personally prefer to pay once and not in small monthly chunks.

Regarding storing data in your cloud the reasons are simple. Some Policies forbid to store data in public clouds and secondly the data is most probably located outside Europe or am I wrong ?

• You're welcome, @SnowFox.

I understand your stance on licences vs. subscriptions.
    Please allow me this small joke: You can decide to pay yearly, so it's not broken up into too many chunks ;)

The benefit of the subscription is that you will never have to worry about licences or paid upgrades for any version of 1Password ever again — not that I'm telling you something you didn't already assume.

As for data storage: yes, our servers are presently located in North America. The question is whether this policy applies to you and whether the fact that we're offering a multi-factor-protected, end-to-end encrypted, zero-knowledge cloud solution makes any difference.

Grüße aus Trier,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.