6.1.272 crashes upon launch [Resolved, caused by a damaged Windows' event log service]

semhsm
semhsm
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi I installed the latest released on Oct 13 and it crashes at launch. I'm pasting the exception log below.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.272.0
Problem Signature 03: 57ffbac9
Problem Signature 04: Microsoft.Extensions.Logging
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.20622
Problem Signature 06: 576a978f
Problem Signature 07: 3
Problem Signature 08: 5f
Problem Signature 09: System.AggregateException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: a9d1
Additional Information 2: a9d12006f2c58fc3fe3bb7a49dcbfb53
Additional Information 3: 5c1a
Additional Information 4: 5c1a5cab833e8a550753b241595bfb20

System.AggregateException was unhandled
HResult=-2146233088
Message=An error occurred while writing to logger(s).
Source=Microsoft.Extensions.Logging
StackTrace:
at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Logger.Log[TState](LogLevel logLevel, EventId eventId, TState state, Exception exception, Func3 formatter) at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Logger1.Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.ILogger.Log[TState](LogLevel logLevel, EventId eventId, TState state, Exception exception, Func3 formatter) at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LoggerExtensions.LogInformation(ILogger logger, EventId eventId, String message, Object[] args) at AgileBits.OnePassword.App.ChooseDatabaseFileNames() in C:\code\onepassword-rt\AgileBits.OnePassword.Shared\App.cs:line 138 at AgileBits.OnePassword.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e) in C:\code\onepassword-rt\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop\App.xaml.cs:line 267 at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame) at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore) at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window) at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\code\onepassword-rt\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop\Program.cs:line 41 InnerException: HResult=-2146233079 Message=Cannot open log for source 'OPW6'. You may not have write access. Source=System StackTrace: at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.OpenForWrite(String currentMachineName) at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.InternalWriteEvent(UInt32 eventID, UInt16 category, EventLogEntryType type, String[] strings, Byte[] rawData, String currentMachineName) at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData) at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category) at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventLog.EventLogLogger.WriteMessage(String message, EventLogEntryType eventLogEntryType, Int32 eventId) at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventLog.EventLogLogger.Log[TState](LogLevel logLevel, EventId eventId, TState state, Exception exception, Func3 formatter)
at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Logger.Log[TState](LogLevel logLevel, EventId eventId, TState state, Exception exception, Func`3 formatter)
InnerException:
ErrorCode=-2147467259
HResult=-2147467259
Message=The interface is unknown
NativeErrorCode=1717
InnerException:

1Password Version: 6.1.272
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7 Pro
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @semhsm,

Thanks for reporting this crash.

At first, it says you don't have the write permission to allow 1Password to register itself to Windows' Event Logger. We will fix this crash, it shouldn't crash even if you don't have permission and we are supposed to fall back to the global event logger if it can't register itself.

Cannot open log for source 'OPW6'. You may not have write access.

Can you tell me if you're the admin on your PC?

• semhsm
    semhsm
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Yes I'm the admin, it is my own pc. I was going to try to elevate the privileges by forcing the app to run as admin but it was grayed out in the properties window.

• Hi @semhsm,

The MSI installer will run elevated to register this as an admin for you, it should've prompted you with the UAC dialog to authorize this.

Is it possible your .NET framework is outdated? Some install issues like this occurred because the .NET framework was outdated. Do you recall if the installer prompts to update you to .NET 4.6.1 or 4.6.2?

• semhsm
    semhsm
    Community Member

I have VS2015 installed since I'm a developer myself so 4.61 is installed. Found out what the issue was and I can't say I can remember the last time I saw this. The event log service was corrupted and it would not start. I had to delete ../System32/Logfiles/WMI/RtBackup to get the service to start again and 1Password now launches. I'm guessing even you default to the global it would still be crashing in my case.

• Hi @semhsm,

Thanks for writing back to let us know that.

I'm guessing even you default to the global it would still be crashing in my case.

Yep, if it was corrupted like that, it wouldn't be possible to fall back gracefully. I'm surprised only 1Password was problematic for you.

I'm glad 1Password is now working and at least you also got Event Log service up and running as well.

• semhsm
    semhsm
    Community Member

And thanks for your help. It never crossed my mind that the service was down. Nothing else caused a problem and I run a lot of apps on this machine.

In case someone else is reading this post the easiest way to fix this is to use the windows installer disk (safe mode won't work because the folder will be locked - there are ways but this was easier for me) and boot your computer with that and select repair. From the options select the command prompt and do the following steps.

• Type [bcdedit | find "osdevice"] (Without the brackets - this will give you the drive where windows is located. It won't necessarily be c:)
    • You will get for output something like - osdevice partition='drive letter' (the letter after the partition= will be the drive letter for your system)
    • Go to that drive - type 'drive letter':\
    • Navigate to 'drive letter':\Windows\System32\Logfiles\WMI\
    • ren RtBackup RtBackup.old

After that type exit and reboot your system. Windows will rebuild that folder and event logger should work again unless you have other issues that is preventing it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up. I'm glad to hear that all is well after repairing Windows. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out anytime. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.