Is 1Password a good choice?

Options
TrickyPete
TrickyPete
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I also would like to both change the American icons to UK style, I'd also like to correct the American to English in many of the field names e.g. License to Licence. I'm currently thinking I've not made a good choice in choosing 1Password as I'm definitely not an apple user and it was only when I looked through the blog I discovered Windows support was only released this month. There are so many things that need internationalising that I'm struggling to know where to start.
FYI I'm using Windows 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.321
1Password: 6.1.272d

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how do I change an icon

Comments

• AlexHoffmann
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @TrickyPete,

Thanks for writing in with your comments and questions.

To answer the question in the title of this thread: Yes, 1Password is a good choice.
    But I don't think you expected to get a different answer from anyone here, right? :)

I'll happily elaborate as to why 1Password is great but I feel it best to dive into your other questions and comments first to get a better sense of what you're after.

I also would like to both change the American icons to UK style

What do you mean by that? I'm genuinely curious. Which icons are you referring to?

[…] I'd also like to correct the American to English in many of the field names e.g. License to Licence.

Believe me, this is throwing me off all the time. I'm German but educated in the English language by Brits. Even writing 'license' feels wrong to me. Then again, this company is Canadian and their spelling is a whole different kettle of fish.

That said, we do plan on bringing localisation to 1Password, including bringing proper English spelling to the user interface, if you catch my drift. We already have this in place for the macOS and iOS apps, brought along by some of our amazing customers who helped localise the apps into U.S., Canadian, and British English.

[…] I'm definitely not an apple user and it was only when I looked through the blog I discovered Windows support was only released this month.

That's not entirely accurate. We've had a Windows version for years now. What you saw in the blog post is the announcement of the first stable release of our brand new 1Password 6 for Windows with support for 1Password.com accounts. The blog post was primarily focused on businesses interested in using 1Password Teams and who needed full Windows support.

The new apps is progressing quickly and built using the latest technologies Microsoft has to offer.

I recommend you give it a spin and let us know what you think. We're always here if you have more questions and feedback.

Cheers,

Alex

• TrickyPete
    TrickyPete
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Alex,
    Believe me I have tried and quickly became very frustrated with the application. Here are some examples:

• The icons shown for instance for a bank account are fixed with a $ dollar symbol, not a big issue but ideally a genuine £ sign not a # hash symbol option would have been nice. Other icons such as the social security one.
    • I went to input my banking details and when I came to the account type I'm restricted to US bank account types e.g. "Checking". Whilst I'm well aware of these, in the UK we name them very differently e.g. "Current" and "Deposit".
    • I then went to enter my driving licence details and although you have an expiry date field the format you have is restrictive. In the UK the expiry date is a full date e.g. 4th May 2018 but it seems that your expiry date occurs at the end of the month so it becomes 05/2018 which is no good to me.
    • I looked at the social security section and the differences there are many so quickly closed it.

Hope you're starting to see where some of my issues lie and it is these which are forcing me to review my choice of product as it is forcing me to make too many compromises which I think other products won't. I actually work as an IT consultant on Microsoft's AX product so am well aware of the requirements and local desires that different companies have around this sort of thing and have concluded that you have the makings of a good product here but currently it is still too immature to be offered outside of North America.
    As I mentioned although I have worked with apple products and know their quality I don't work with them day to day because of this I suspect that 1Password is great on their mac and phone products but I don't feel it is as good on the primary worldwide workhorse of Windows and the non apple based phones. I'm currently running Windows 10 with Edge as my browser and the apps for it are somewhat restricted currently.
    I chose the Team product because I work with a small team of guys who I felt would benefit from this type of product so chose to trial it before raising it with them to use.
    From the foregoing I've tried to build a picture that indicates just the setup issues I've encountered, these have been sufficiently numerous to make me think about how I could best move on either using 1Password or with another product. Right now I don't have enough confidence to continue with 1Password in its current form and although I've no doubt I could work with you guys to overcome these issues/problems is this going to be time well spent?

Regards,

Peter.

• Hey Peter,

Thanks for your patience. Sorry for taking so much time to respond but I wanted to get feedback on the issues you brought up from our developers.

I was told that this is on our radar. We are planning on expanding the localisation efforts beyond the translation to make sure the content makes sense for users as well. The implementation of these changes is not a high priority and it will require a couple of non-trivial changes to the way we handle data depending on the locale.

I don't know how satisfactory this answer is to you but I hope that you will continue to consider and use 1Password and send us more of this excellent feedback.

Let me know if we can do anything else for you.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.