is there any license upgrade from 1password 4? [1Password 4 is the latest version for licensees]

Options
JJay
JJay
Community Member
edited January 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I recently check the agileBit store (https://agilebits.com/store)
and I found that my license can be upgraded.

However, I cannot find what is the upgraded version of the 1Password 4 for Windows.
What happen if I upgrade my current license? There is no problem on using 1Password 4.6.1.616 with my current license.

1Password 6 is not a standalone version but based on subscription, isn't it?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:upgrade license from 1password 4

lc.PNG 61.6K

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @JJay,

Welcome to the forums! :+1: Sorry for the confusion, let me try to explain everything.

Right now you have a single license for 1Password 4 for Windows. If you upgrade your license, it will include not only 1Password for Windows, but 1Password for Mac as well. I hope it makes sense. 8-)

You are right, 1Password 6 for Windows is focused on 1Password.com accounts now. We have plans to bring support for standalone licenses in future releases, but I don't have any timeframes for you at the moment – we are building everything from scratch and it takes time.

If you are planning to use 1Password with a standalone license, please use the current version of 1Password 4. By the way, is there a particular reason why you don't want to try 1Password account? :)

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• JJay
    JJay
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thx @Greg, now I am clear.

Actually, I am trying 1PWD account & 1PWD 6 now since today.
    During migration, I just checked the store and found the upgrade for my license. This is why I am here.

However, I am not sure that I will continue to use 1PWD account after 30 days trials.
    Continuous payments for the subscription make me avoid the 1PWD account.

If I can move to 6 & account with a single payment for license upgrade with a reasonable price, I will not hesitate to move.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JJay: Thank you for your feedback!

The upside of subscriptions is that 1Password apps for all platforms and all future updates are included. And that is only apps. These hosted subscription plans allow us to introduce new features that weren't possible before, for example, web access on 1Password.com, automatic syncing, item history, secure sharing with family members, etc.

But if you feel more comfortable with licenses, it is your choice and we respect it. That is why we have no plans on giving them up. :)

Thank you once again for using 1Password! If you have any other questions about anything, please let us know. We are here to help.

• Hi @JJay,

I just want to clarify one thing with this statement you made:

If I can move to 6 & account with a single payment for license upgrade with a reasonable price, I will not hesitate to move.

Buying a license will not give you free access to 1Password.com services. However, paying for the 1Password.com subscription does give you all of the apps at no extra costs, it is already included in the monthly or annual fees. 1Password.com accounts will always require a valid subscription plan because most of the costs are going into the servers holding and processing your data, they're reoccurring costs for us.

The license will only give you access to the apps itself but you have to manage the data and sync on your own. A subscription gives you all the apps and also 1Password.com web app but your 1Password.com basically handles the data for you automatically. As soon as you sign in, you're all set to go.

• Cas
    Cas
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in the same predicament as the OP, and I also feel the same way about yearly charges. I use 1Password 4 for Windows, the 1Password app on an old iPad, and I'm trying to use it on 2 new Android devices (but it's not syncing over WiFi - different problem).

I could have missed something in your response to the OP, but if I do not upgrade to 1P6, will 1P4 continue to work with the current iOS and Android apps (meaning, will I have to ignore any future updates for the mobile apps?) Will there be mentions in the app descriptions to not update to the most recent mobile app because it's not compatible with 1P4?

On another note, I originally bought 1Password back in 2012 for $19.99 (on my old Mac). I bought it again in 2015 (it wasn't an upgrade, but a new 1P4 Windows license) for $49.99 (which I calculated to be about $15 a year upgrade cost, which is a great deal for a great product). Now, to upgrade a single license it's $32.49 (it doesn't state in the store what version I would be upgrading to nor does it state what version I would be purchasing if it was a new license at $64.99, so I'm hesitant to guess if it's 1P6 or not); and finally, the yearly cost for the new 1Password service is $35.88. I do understand that with the service that I receive full, guaranteed compatibility with any new iOS and Android apps, with "free" updates to both Windows and the apps for "that" year of service.

So, my questions are: 1) Is there a discount or incentive for long-time users to upgrade to the 1Password service? 2) What version would I be upgrading my single license to if I upgrade now? 3) What features does the hosted service have that the license does not (besides web access on 1Password.com - I'm guessing that does not mean the web browser add-on/extension but something different, automatic syncing - since it's cloud based, item history, secure sharing with family members)?

Thank you for your response in advance.

• ceasley
    ceasley
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I have the same question(s) as Cas.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ceasley, @cas: I'll do my best to answer, and please do let me know if you have any followup questions! :)

I could have missed something in your response to the OP, but if I do not upgrade to 1P6, will 1P4 continue to work with the current iOS and Android apps (meaning, will I have to ignore any future updates for the mobile apps?) Will there be mentions in the app descriptions to not update to the most recent mobile app because it's not compatible with 1P4?

We won't trick you into upgrading to a new paid version. Minor updates are always included in your purchase, and will always be offered, at no additional charge. Major updates may be paid, but this will happen in one of two very clear ways:

1. In the case of the app stores, it isn't actually possible to charge you for an update to an existing app. So if and when there's a paid upgrade there, it will be a separate download/purchase — no need to worry about unexpected charges! We hate those too.
    2. In the case of apps sold through our own store, you may be offered a paid upgrade, but it will say so. The regular update prompt includes 3 things: release notes, Upgrade, and Cancel. A paid upgrade, if offered through the updater, will be accompanied by information on pricing, features, etc. The one pitfall here is that we make these so you can dismiss them forever and not get nagged repeatedly...but if you do that, forget, and later update anyway, you'll just be on a trial version until you purchase it.

On another note, I originally bought 1Password back in 2012 for $19.99 (on my old Mac). I bought it again in 2015 (it wasn't an upgrade, but a new 1P4 Windows license) for $49.99 (which I calculated to be about $15 a year upgrade cost, which is a great deal for a great product). Now, to upgrade a single license it's $32.49 (it doesn't state in the store what version I would be upgrading to nor does it state what version I would be purchasing if it was a new license at $64.99, so I'm hesitant to guess if it's 1P6 or not); and finally, the yearly cost for the new 1Password service is $35.88. I do understand that with the service that I receive full, guaranteed compatibility with any new iOS and Android apps, with "free" updates to both Windows and the apps for "that" year of service.

Indeed, the subscription service includes the latest versions of all the apps. That's pretty straightforward. The license upgrade has become confusing in a few cases though since we no longer offer separate Mac and Windows licenses. So, for example, if you purchased only 1Password for Windows, you could use your existing Mac license to get a discount on purchasing the Mac version. It sounds like that's the situation you're in. There is no license for the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app though, so if you're only using PCs, there's no need to purchase an upgrade at this time. If you have more questions specific to your own purchase history, be sure to shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com — and if you're trying to switch to 1Password.com, we'll see if there's something we can do to help there too.

So, my questions are:

(I thought it was useful to address these in the context of your comments above, but here's the short answer to each for clarity:)

1) Is there a discount or incentive for long-time users to upgrade to the 1Password service?

We ran several promotions when we launched the various services, but they have unfortunately long since ended and are no longer available. However, as I mentioned above, if you'll email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com we'll see what we can do for you.

2) What version would I be upgrading my single license to if I upgrade now?

Since it sounds like you already purchased 1Password for Windows version 4, you'd be upgrading to add 1Password for Mac. There is no 1Password 6 Windows license, as the app doesn't yet have full support for your local vaults.

3) What features does the hosted service have that the license does not (besides web access on 1Password.com - I'm guessing that does not mean the web browser add-on/extension but something different, automatic syncing - since it's cloud based, item history, secure sharing with family members)?

While the 1Password.com web interface is useful to many people since it allows you to access and edit your data in a browser (and, frankly, something that's easy to point to and say "this is a concrete thing you get"), I think that other benefits of the subscription service are even better.

Backup is not exciting (well, to most people), but that's my #1: with your encrypted data stored on the server, automatic backups are made, and you can even restore an earlier version of individual items since the history of changes is maintained as well. I've lost data, and I regularly hear from AgileBits customers and others in my life who have as well, so having backup that's always there for 1Password.com users makes me (and perhaps others) sleep better at night.

Automatic sync that you never have to configure is probably most people's #1. If you've ever struggled with troubleshooting a sync issue or getting your data to a new device, you'll know what I mean. With 1Password.com, you just login to your account on each device to access your data. There is no step 2.

Simple sharing kind of goes along with automatic sync, but it's very much also a distinct feature...and I wanted to split it off since this only applies to 1Password Families and 1Password Teams, not individual accounts. But with a few clicks you can create a vault and share it with one, all, or some of your team/family members securely. It then just appears on their devices as part of their account, so it's easy for you and for them.

Another awesome one which unfortunately doesn't apply to individual accounts is recovery. With a tam or family, designated people (Owners, Admins, Organizers) can begin the recovery process for another member who has lost/forgotten/eaten their Account key and/or Master Password. That should be much closer to #1, but it makes me sad that individual subscribers don't have anyone to do this for them. I'm hoping we can find a way to change that in the future...

Hm... But I don't mean by running a 1Password matchmaking service. Probably something more technical than that. :lol:

Thank you for your response in advance.

Likewise, thanks for asking! Be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can help with. :)

• Cas
    Cas
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I just want to confirm some things.

1) Since I'm only using 1Password for Windows now, it sounds like I don't have to upgrade yet. Please let me know if that's correct. Also, any chance on an ETA for 1P6 for Windows via a license? No rush, since I'm just curious.

2) I missed all the notification emails on your release of the 1Password service (too many email accounts on my end), so it probably got deleted at some point. I will take your suggestion and email the support address you provided. Thank you for that.

3) So, to confirm, my current version of 1Password 4 for Windows is currently compatible with the 1Password apps on iOS and Android if I get them through Apple iTunes and Google Play, but may not be if I get them from the AgileBits website (but it will have release note information on the AgileBits website stating whether it's compatible or not)?

4) Finally, for the foreseeable future, will AgileBits continue with single user licensing or will that be scuttled in order to migrate everyone to the 1Password service? I've watched as more and more companies have removed single user licensing (or made it difficult to find or even increased rates to exorbitant pricing) and have forced users into yearly contracts (e.g. Microsoft).

Thank you again for a fantastic product and your excellent customer service.

• Hi @Cas,

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

1) Since I'm only using 1Password for Windows now, it sounds like I don't have to upgrade yet. Please let me know if that's correct. Also, any chance on an ETA for 1P6 for Windows via a license? No rush, since I'm just curious.

That is absolutely correct. For all licensed customers right now, 1Password 4 is the latest and most complete version of 1Password we offer on Windows.

No ETA on 1Password 6 support for local vaults yet. 1Password 6 is a new codebase or essentially the next generation Windows client and because it is new or young, it doesn't have all of the features yet, it is going to take us some time to implement them all (in a better way too). 1Password 4 has been around as part of the original codebase started back in 2010, so we're competing against a mature 6+ year old codebase with a lot of features added over the years.

3) So, to confirm, my current version of 1Password 4 for Windows is currently compatible with the 1Password apps on iOS and Android if I get them through Apple iTunes and Google Play, but may not be if I get them from the AgileBits website (but it will have release note information on the AgileBits website stating whether it's compatible or not)?

All 1Password apps are compatible with the same 1Password vault files, even 1Password 6 for Windows can read your local vault files, it just cannot modify them just yet. We will not make any files incompatible, that would affect majority of our customers in all 1Password apps. Our data formats are not something we take for granted and not to mention, it is an open standard that even other companies could use it if they want.

I'm not sure what you mean about getting the mobile apps from our website, the mobile apps can only be offered at their respective App Stores, they cannot be sold elsewhere.

The 1Password.com subscription is a companion service to 1Password, it does not replace 1Password products. 1Password 6 for Windows is the temporary exception in the whole grand scheme because it is relatively a new app that needs time to implement all of the features including full local vault support before it can replace 1Password 4 and be offered for both 1Password.com service and local vaults.

To answer your question, it is not a question of where you get the 1Password apps, they'll be compatible with what you have.

If we release future versions of 1Password that doesn't use our data formats anymore, then yes, it will be made clear from the get-go to everyone. Not to mention, we would want to offer you a chance to migrate the data to something else, which would require us to be able to read it anyway.

4) Finally, for the foreseeable future, will AgileBits continue with single user licensing or will that be scuttled in order to migrate everyone to the 1Password service? I've watched as more and more companies have removed single user licensing (or made it difficult to find or even increased rates to exorbitant pricing) and have forced users into yearly contracts (e.g. Microsoft).

We cannot predict the future, we will go where our customers go. If there is no one buying a new license for a long time, it doesn't make any sense for us to keep selling it because it can have an impact on we develop 1Password, having less code to support local vaults would save a lot of the limited resources we have (we're a small private company). If we only focus on 1Password.com service, development will go much faster for everyone to benefit from. All we can say is that it is unlikely to happen in the near future as a large share of our customers are licensed, not on our 1Password.com service and many do not plan to switch to 1Password.com service.

We didn't do 1Password.com service because it would increase our revenue, we did this because majority of our customers asked for it. They want to stop relying on third party sync services because it was too much of a hassle to set up, they wanted something easier to share their 1Password data with family members, co-workers, friends and so much more that is only capable by having a central place for the data, in this case, the 1Password.com servers. Majority of the subscriptions goes into keeping the servers running for a long time as they do have a recurring fee for the electricity, hosting/bandwidth costs, high quality maintenance/security teams, and more.

• jeffc
    jeffc
    Community Member
    Options

This turned out to be an interesting topic even for a lurker like me! :smile:

1. I use Mac at home, Windows at work. The Mac app of 1Password is absolutely beautiful (why I called it a "piece of art" in a prior posting). But more importantly, it's a critical application in my day to day workflow.

2. Because of the critical nature of 1Password, I became "uncomfortable" with the overall upgrade fees for 1Password. I viewed the fees as too small (i.e. too inexpensive, given the critical nature of the software for me). Even just installing a new O/S made that painfully obvious: The very first thing I did, after getting the O/S itself installed and updated, is getting 1Password installed (and, prior to the 1Password service, this required Dropbox as well). Not having 1Password was simply too painful, thus the installation order. I wanted to give AgileBits more money and they, of course, did not have a facility for that. So I started to buy other (unneeded) licenses from time to time just to throw more money their way. I didn't need the licenses, so I didn't use them, but it provided a useful way for me to essentially "donate" money to AgileBits. I lost count of how many licenses I have; probably around 5 or 6. The fact that AgileBits survived on such a pittance of a license fee continues to astound me.

3. The service, for no other reason, gives me a reasonable way to pay a reasonable recurring fee ("reasonable" for me, given the critical nature of the software in my day to day workflow). I did sign up early (thus I got a reduced fee and more family members), but frankly, I think the annual recurring fee for the service is perfectly "fair" (i.e. not to expensive for me, but expensive enough where I feel I pay something reasonable to AgileBits for the benefit of the software to me). I was also unable to use the service for a while since the 1Password 6 Windows app was just not far enough along; fortunately, that's resolved now.

4. On top of all that: The service is actually useful for me, even though I generally have the apps installed. I do (rarely) use the WWW interface from time to time (but that's rare), for example. I have greater sharing flexibility with my family (i.e. the kids have read-only access to a variety of passwords for things like Netflix, etc), which wasn't really possible with Dropbox in a safe manner. And the fact that I use a variety of platforms (Mac, iOS, Windows) makes the licensing model clean and easy for me to understand.

5. Backup issues are a complicated topic. I agree with AgileBits that automatic backups are what most people want. However, I spend a lot of time thinking about backups, I spend money to back up my machines safely to the cloud (as well as to external disks that go to a safe deposit box), and I simply insist on having my own backups in my own paws. The data is MY DATA, and I need that data no matter what, not to mention my wife if something happened to me, or even my heirs if something happens to both myself and my wife.

Now, unfortunately, the current state of the apps makes backups pretty painful if you use the service (I have other posts on this topic). Doable? Yes. Very painful? Absolutely! Hopefully things will improve here over time, although I recognize that this isn't a priority for AgileBits right now. I can make a backup of my data, but it involves: (a) Adding a private vault (with a Master Password), (b) adding my Backup Vault (with a master password), (c) copying all the data over from various service vaults to the backup vault, (d) then removing the backup vault, (e) and finally removing the private vault (typing the long master password a few more times along the way).

Clearly, that's a process that only a die-hard backup person would want to go through, and I go through it. Also, 1Password on the Mac is a little ill-behaved during (c), as it takes it some time for large vaults, but doesn't display progress dialogs - it just hangs as it's working on those operations.

Bottom line, though:

1. I'm happy to pay for the service; it reflects a reasonable fee for me, and a reasonable fee for AgileBits to continue to develop their software. And the service is useful in many ways (much better than using Dropbox to sync with my family). It's faster, easier, and more flexible than Dropbox,

2. The software on Mac and iOS is superb, bar none. The Windows software (even 1Password 4) is not as good (not even close), but I think that the company is committed to improving it. 1Password 6 is a reflection of that (it's amazing how much it's progressed since last summer). And even if 1Password 6 isn't a piece of art (like the Mac and iOS apps are), it does basically work with the service, which is what I'm after for now. Improvements are made often, and I see those improvements from release to release.

• Cas
    Cas
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, MikeT, for your quick and informative response. I, like jeffc, install 1Password when I get new PCs or new mobile devices. It's the first thing I do (even before all my malware and anti-virus software... because where do I keep all my license information... in 1Password, of course). I'm more informed and much assuaged regarding my licensing for 1Password 4 for Windows. Thank you!

I would offer a bit of advice though. If AgileBits could state what version I would be upgrading to or even when purchasing a new license via your store, would be most helpful and a lot less confusing (for someone like me). Also, maybe have a column side by side comparison between the 1Password Hosted Service versus the single user licensing. That comparison alone would have answered quite a few of the questions I had.

AgileBits Support has been phenomenal and I applaud the fantastic customer service when I had a myriad of questions. Thank you again for a wonderful product that everyone should/must have (read: essential, like anti-virus, firewall, or malware software).

• Hi @Cas,

You're welcome.

I can't imagine how I'd survive getting a new PC and not being able to install 1Password first thing, it seems like a nightmare. :scream:

I would offer a bit of advice though. If AgileBits could state what version I would be upgrading to or even when purchasing a new license via your store, would be most helpful and a lot less confusing (for someone like me).

I agree, the upgrade store is outdated and doesn't detail the specifics of what you're getting. The store was designed prior to 1Password.com service and bundled licenses, it was originally for selling individual licenses that did have better details. We have plans to fix this.

Also, maybe have a column side by side comparison between the 1Password Hosted Service versus the single user licensing. That comparison alone would have answered quite a few of the questions I had.

We used to do this, we had a side-by-side chart between both license and subscription and it turns out it caused more confusion in the end because a lot of people still weren't sure what to get. We do keep optimizing our flow but what we find that people tend to choose better if they just start using the app first. So, we're trying to take the questions out of the way and just start using 1Password.com first. If they know they want to stay local and not sign up, we can then help with the local licenses, this appears to work more consistently.

@jeffc, again thank you for your detailed thoughts on this. As for backups, we are having internal discussions on how this can work. The core thing about 1Password.com service is that it has a consistent and always updated database for you and offline backups are something that's hard to resolve with when you're trying to restore a backup with old data against an updated database. The server will replace any outdated info, which is the wrong thing to do when restoring a backup. We have so many questions about restoring from offline copies elsewhere that it will need a through investigating and testing. It's okay if it is a backup that we host on our server because we can run queries to replace the data in the database directly but importing outdated items from an offline copy is something else entirely. We'll have something in the near future.

• jeffc
    jeffc
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT I think you might be over-engineering this, at least from my point of view.

I don't expect to use these backups except in a complete catastrophe. But still, my own backups are worth it to me. Some of the accounts (particularly with two factor authentication) would not be recoverable AT ALL without my 1Password data (typically, 2FA account recovery codes are stored in 1Password as well). I completely depend on 1Password 100%.,

When I back up to a "backup vault", I actually delete all old entries in the backup vault, then copy all entries from my Family vaults to the backup vault. I have tags on the entries to know which vaults they came from so, if needed, I can recover them in the "right place". But this assumes that 1Password.com data was lost, and I don't expect that (unless the account isn't paid for a long time or something).

My thoughts on how this backup would be used: Of course, if 1Password.com suffered a catastrophic failure, I'd use it. But I really don't expect that, AWS is too redundant to have any reasonable shot at that. I'd expect that this backup would likely be used by my heirs, and likely because by the time they got around to dealing with this, my 1Password.com family account might have expired, or they don't want to pay the fees to continue it, or whatever, but may still need occasional updates.

The likelihood that I'd ever use this data to restore into 1Password.com is very, very low. 1Password.com has undelete capabilities, both on a single entry and on a vault. 1Password.com keeps old entries for a long time, in case I make a "bad edit". That is much better than the backup that I'm keeping myself, which is simply a point-in-time copy.

What I'm after: A way to easily back up the data. I don't care of the capability is restricted to an administrator of the 1Password.com account, that's fine. You shouldn't worry about me restoring the data into 1Password.com; I own that if I choose to do it. More likely, though, I'd use your existing undelete facilities, or old copies of entries, to recover from a "bad edit".

Realistically, the backup is for my own piece of mind, nothing else. And maybe something that my heirs may use. Maybe. (It's likely easier for them to just pay the 1Password.com fee for another year or two while dealing with my estate.)

I own restoring it, and repercussions if I use that to restore from. I think that anything else is likely over-engineering the problem, and is realistically code that is unlikely to be exercised by anyone because of existing facilities that you have on the 1Password.com service.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, though.

• Hi @jeffc,

Over-engineering for the safety and integrity of your data is basically our job, we're a paranoid brunch and we have to consider everything on all sides first before we come up with a solution that works for everyone. Heck, we could do an option to just create an offline emergency copy where 1Password can download everything including attachments into an encrypted db outside of 1Password and you can choose to load this offline copy without touching the main database. After that, you can do what you want, copy content between both databases or delete one db and restore by moving them over. We have to find the right option that is also simple to use.

By the way, we don't delete any data if you don't pay, frozen accounts are retained for a long time, you just can't modify them but you can choose to explicitly delete the account if you want.

• jeffc
    jeffc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

I'm aware that AgileBits has said old accounts will never be deleted. But I don't want to depend on that policy never changing down the road. You guys might want to amend that policy at some point (say you have a lot of stale accounts, and a fair percentage of your overall AWS fees are due to that). If you do amend the policy, a good backup process on my side should not need to be modified.

By the way, there is a document size limit for family accounts. Is there a way, at 1Password.com, to see what my account is using? If so, I sure couldn't find it ...

Thanks!

/Jeff

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@jeffc: I can't say for certain, but I suspect we could dump the data into Glacier if it comes to that, rather than making an announcement that we're changing our policy and hoping that everyone affected reads it. After all, they're called "frozen". ;)

We don't have a UI for storage usage, but it's something we're working on. Currently the upload file size limit (and therefore storage) is 50MB. Each user has 1GB of storage included. I suspect that we'll start offering additional storage as an option sometime after we implement a way for you to track your usage. :lol:

I also wanted to revisit a few things Mike already addressed: We really want to have a solution for folks like you and I who are super diligent about personal backups, but that absolutely is secondary to making sure that folks who never worry about this never, ever have to. That makes things more complicated when trying to offer an alternative, but to say that this is important is an understatement. So for your purposes, it's absolutely over-engineered, because it's designed to solve a completely different problem.

Also, adding version information to the license purchase right now would do more harm than good, since many folks who legitimately prefer a standalone purchase would see "version 6" as being better, and end up with a subscription. That kind of defeats the purpose of offering people a choice, so I'm looking forward to when we can offer version 6 to everyone. :)

This discussion has been closed.