How to open Shared vault in Dropbox

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: set up 1Password with Dropbox.

Comments

• janetrubrico
    janetrubrico
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there. Same problem I'm having... what should I do ... please help... thank you very much! My boss shared her vault to my dropbox, we both have the 1password individual account. I cant figure out how to open it..............

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @janetrubrico,

Welcome to the forums! :) I've split your message to a new thread, I hope you don't mind.

I found your Individual account and it seems that you are using 1Password 6 on your Windows laptop. If you have a shared local vault in your Dropbox, please try to sign in to Dropbox in 1Password 6 (Settings > Accounts & Vaults > Sign in to Dropbox) and 1Password will locate that vault. Please note that local vaults are in read-only mode at the moment.

Please let me know how it goes, so I could lend you a hand, if anything goes south.

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• janetrubrico
    janetrubrico
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Greg,

Yeah I've tried that, but it keeps telling "unable to locate .opvault .agilekeychain......." :( it's frustrating

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janetrubrico: Thanks for your reply! :+1:

Are you sure your boss has shared her vault to your Dropbox and not anywhere else? You said that you both have accounts at 1Password.com, am I correct? It would be really great, if you could describe how did she shared her vault with you in more details.

I am sure together we will get to the bottom of this, but I need some more info to start with. Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• janetrubrico
    janetrubrico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

Can you tell me please the steps (in bullets please) as to how she's supposed to do that...? and I'll compare that to what she actually did......

We're both using individual account (not teams)
    Then she shared her vault to my dropbox...
    That's what she said
    I can see in my dropbox that there's a 1password vault shared to me..

Thank you very very much...... I appreciate the immediate reply super much

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janetrubrico: I am sorry it is taking longer than expected, but we'll help you. :)

I can see in my dropbox that there's a 1password vault shared to me...

Could you please specify the name of that file you see in your Dropbox? Maybe you could share a screenshot of that file? Here is a handy guide on how to take screenshot on different platforms. Please conceal any sensitive information that could be there.

After that, please choose "Attach image/file" when you are replying here and attach that screenshot:

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• janetrubrico
    janetrubrico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

sending you the screenshot.. Thank you very much for all your help..

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janetrubrico: Thank you for the screenshot! It sheds some light on what's happened. :)

I am afraid that file is not 1Password vault, that is why 1Password didn't find anything, when you tried to signed in to Dropbox in 1Password 6. What I would recommend you to do here is to upgrade Individual account of your boss from Individual to Teams (or create a new Teams account) and then create a Shared vault there. 1Password Teams is designed to share items in a team and I think you will love it. It is so much easier than creating a shared vault in Dropbox.

You can upgrade Individual account to Teams at any time: just sign in on 1Password.com and choose “Invite people” from the top right menu.

I hope it helps. If you have any other questions about this process, please let me know. I will be happy to explain everything. :)

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• janetrubrico
    janetrubrico
    Community Member
    Options

**'It is so much easier than creating a shared vault in Dropbox......'****

so there's a way around it without the "Teams" Account correct....?

based on this statement......

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janetrubrico:

There is. However, this workaround is much more complicated than creating a Shared vault in 1Password Teams and it is easy to get confused. You will need to export your data from 1Password 6, import it to a local vault in 1Password 4, and then create a shared vault in Dropbox, using this guide from our website.

Is there a particular reason why you don't want to use 1Password Teams? It was created with team usage in mind and answers all of your needs perfectly. ;)

Thanks in advance!

• janetrubrico
    janetrubrico
    Community Member
    Options

Hm. Thank you for that. Will be in touch soon for further questions. Thank you very very much!

• On behalf of Greg, you're welcome. We'll be here anytime to provide any assistance you shall require.

• janetrubrico
    janetrubrico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

Update: I was able to access my boss' 1 password vault from dropbox now... Thank you very much for all your help!

New Problem:
    I can reveal her password, even the previous ones... the only thing I can't do is edit it... which actually beats the whole purpose of getting the app......

Is there any way that she can share her 1password vault without me seeing the details.....?

Please tell me what we're doing wrong................

Thank you very very much for all your help, I still need more of it :)

• Hi @janetrubrico,

Not with that Dropbox + standalone 1Password 6 app setup. Your boss is sharing a local encrypted vault file that only has one thing required to view and to modify the content, the password to decrypt it. It doesn't have permissions or anything like that included, it is a one-for-all type of setup. Once you have the password, you can do anything to that vault file.

In addition, as Greg mentioned before, 1Password 6 has read-only support for local vaults, only 1Password 4 can let you modify the data.

To have total control over the data with permissions per user, your boss has to upgrade to 1Password.com Teams instead. In there, your boss can invite you as a guest onto a vault with no password viewing capability, which you can then add as a second account to your 1Password 6 app.

You can see how this works here: https://support.1password.com/sharing-with-guests/ and this one about permissions: https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults/

• janetrubrico
    janetrubrico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

This is what I need:
    My boss should be able to share her vault without me seeing any of the details, without me seeing the password....

She can only do that in Teams?
    What we both have is the individual account (not teams)

Thank you very very much for your immediate reply as always!

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @janetrubrico,

That's correct, she'll have to upgrade to 1Password Teams to get the management features. You don't have to do this because she'll invite you onto her 1Password Teams account, you'll create a separate account using her Teams account. In your 1Password 6 setup, you can sign in to this new account and use both your individual and Teams accounts at the same time.

To upgrade her 1Password.com account, she can sign in to her account on https://my.1Password.com and then click on the account name on top right to select Invite People to see how to upgrade.

She can also get in touch with us at support@1Password.com if she need any assistance.

• janetrubrico
    janetrubrico
    Community Member
    Options

Alright.

Thank you very very much.

• Please feel free to reach out to us again if you have more questions and the same offer goes out to your boss.
    We're happy to help you get everything set up.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.