Win10 Chrome Locking for 1PW Helper

Options

Sorry to start new questions - but I spent hours reading FAQ and other peoples issue - apparently issue is still not solved

I once selected 1PW as I only worked with OS&iOS, but I guess I need to change Password tool as AgileBits does not support Android/Win User as they are able to support OS&iOS. Or does supplier not support AgileBits?
Anyway from point of customer/user its very frustrating having the newest WIN10 Tablet and the latest browser (CHROME 54.0.2840.17m - 64bit). I downloaded suggested 1PW Version 6.0.161u and whatever was suggested as extenstion for WIN-Chrome Extention (press the green button). I deactivated the MacAffee Firewall (pre-installed on HP Spectre 12" 2:1) I deleted Cache and restarted many times.

Everytime I got is meaning less information:

"Couldn’t connect to 1Password
Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension. Follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us."

Well the FAQ and Forum did not help - many report same issue months ago.
But I miss clear informations

• if issue is now solved or when it will be solved (can't believe that it would take that long, so I guess it is parameter in my settings.. but which one?
    PLEASE help make 1PW more easy to use - I do not what to spent hours just figure out each time the correct settings.
    And the copy/paste version I did back in XLS so I expect more from a PW program.. ; )

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @swissedi,

Thanks for writing in and sharing your feedback with us.

Can you tell me how you found the download for Windows version of 1Password 6?

We do apologize that it is not clear but if you are using 1Password 6.0.161u, that's the outdated version from the Windows Store that does not have support for browser extensions. We've already updated all of our links a while ago to make sure everyone gets it from our website instead here: http://1Password.com/downloads

The desktop/website version does support the 1Password extensions. Once you install this specific version, it should then work with the 1Password extension in Chrome.

• swissedi
    swissedi
    Community Member
    Options

ThanksMikeT -
    I can't recall where I got that 1PW - either WindowsStore or it was suggested by some page. But I am wondering why there was no "update" suggested by application and I think there was no button to click "search for updates".
    As I did not found 1Password Application in WindowsStore I downloaded last version (4.6.1.616) from your suggested download URL Before that I "deinstalled" old version (right mouse click) on my Win10 Tablet and removed manually the extension in Chrome.
    Well 1Password is now installed again but Chrome gave same error message "Couldn’t connect to 1Password". Only after deleting CACHE and restart Chrome it ask me for a Code.
    I will now try to connect to Dropbox / synchronize Data, but I was stopped by 1PW asking we from some Account info / license stuff?!
    Well I have no clue what that is as I never got any such thing while I was buying 1PW for my iMac/iphone. I don't expect I have to pay for Windows Version separately. Anyway I will try again tomorrow as this setting up 1PW is very time consuming.

I still couldn't install an extension / plugin in EDGE which is the default browser on all Win10 Tablets. I can read in Forum that this problem has reported many times and I hope it is solved after this long time.
    Can you help me on this similar issue too ? If EDGE is not working with 1PW its not fun and basically useless as I prefer to run the Microsoft Default Browser EDGE on a Win10 device. CHROME has to many crashes.
    I just figured out that 1PW still not have the possibility of using "alternativ browser". That function which is available in many other password tool would at least help to switch between browser.

regards

• Hey @swissedi,

Thanks for getting back in touch.
    Can you please tell us when you bought 1Password for Mac?

There are a couple of points of confusion here, which have contributed to the frustrating situation you find yourself in.
    We want to help you clear everything up and get you started with 1Password on all o your devices.

Since you're attempting to sync 1Password data across iOS, macOS, and Windows, have you thought of setting up a 1Password.com account? You can read more about it here: https//1password.com

There is still no 1Password browser extension for Microsoft Edge and there probably won't be one for a while. There are technical prerequisites that Microsoft Edge doesn't fulfil. You can read more about it in this post by Mike.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Alex

• swissedi
    swissedi
    Community Member
    Options

hi Alex
    I think I got confused by the many different versions of 1PW and the installation menu asked about Account details.
    I thought this would be my 1PW credentials, but apparently there is new service called 1PW.com!
    Once I understood that - I skip that and used the "connect to Dropbox".
    Unfortunate the WinVersion of 1PW - 6.1.272 has a different look - not as good as MacVersion ; (
    But clicking all tabs I found the "synchronization" button and all my logins appeared. That was the first HURRA yesterday night. ; ))
    The Chrome Extension 4.61.90 did even work, but its useless for me as I will use the EDGE, as its faster, has cool features and its simply more reliable than Chrome on a Win10 device. (I will read Mike's post as I personally do not understand that it can take that long to find a solution with Microsoft)
    After the HURRA the disappointment: I could not "add new items" or "edit" the current logins. I had to add new login on my iPhone and then synchronize on Win10.
    Strange the "new item" and "edit" buttons are there, but greyed out and there is no action or message if I click on them.
    I will check again, maybe a restart will help or I overlooked some setting.

When did I bought 1PW? According Appstore it was back in 2013 and it was called 1Password4.
    I did that on recommendation of a friend without checking that there would have been more powerful password tools.
    But as I never faces problems or lost logins and all updates was so fare without problems on iMac&iPhone I kept 1PW.
    But I got the first doubts as Android Version did not work well. In the meantime I got rid of Samsung and purchased a Win10 HP 2:1 and I am obliged to work with Win7 in the office desktop.

I will do some reading on 1Password.COM - but I do not want to spent more money as 1PW does not have all feature I need (missing alternative browser , useless for EDGE).
    So I guess its the time to go to PasswordSafe (which we us in the office) or just use onboard remember login on EDGE/CHROME/SAFARI - according description the us same security and the data is in the Cloud too.

Regards Edi

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@swissedi: Ah, I see. I'm sorry for the confusion there! While I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, since you're using a local vault with Dropbox anyway, there's no need to use it; you can use 1Password 4. 1Password 6 is only needed for the 1Password.com subscription service:

1Password for Windows version 4

The New Item and Edit buttons are disabled for local vaults because they are not supported yet. We'll be adding that in the future, and 1Password 4 already fully supports these.

Regarding Edge, Microsoft does not currently allow extensions to communicate with other apps. It may be that they change this i the future, but this is how 1Password integrates with browsers, and it simply isn't possible there right now. It may be possible for us to create a standalone extension, but it would have to connect to the server (since it cannot communicate with the app locally), so that would not work with local vaults, only the subscription service. We're looking for alternatives too, but unfortunately those are the most feasible right now, and neither is likely to come in the short term.

If you purchased 1Password from Apple's App Store, you won't have a license for 1Password for Windows. But if you send a copy of your receipt to support+licenses@agilebits.com we can give you a discount on it as an existing customer.

Can you tell us what you had trouble with in 1Password for Android? We can help with that too! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.