Getting malware warning when attempting to download windows app [False positive, fixed]

Options
MitchF
MitchF
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

FYI - when clicking the link on 1Password.com to DL the windows app I get a warning from my Chrome with a link to this article.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6261569?visit_id=1-636127729316201868-3083206058&p=ib_download_blocked&hl=en&rd=1

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Getting malware warning when attempting to download windows app from 1Password.com

Comments

• Hopeless
    Hopeless
    Community Member
    Options

I get the same warning in chrome

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MitchF, @Hopeless: Thanks so much for reporting this! That's really odd. It sounds like you're trying to download 1Password 6. Is that correct? I'm seeing this in Chrome too, but oddly enough there is no complaint if I try to download 1Password 4. Weirdly, it's the same app we released over a week ago on the 13th, and Chrome was okay with it then...

After investigating this further with Google, apparently this is what's happened:

Google Safe Browsing recently found harmful programs on dl0tgz6ee3upo.cloudfront.net. Learn More.

So apparently because some other software hosted on this Amazon Web Services subdomain was believed to be malicious today, Chrome will give this warning and not allow the download to occur, even if you choose to "visit the site" anyway.

So unfortunately the only workaround is to download it using another browser, and scan the file before opening it using 3rd party "security" software or Windows Defender / Microsoft Security Essentials.

Just to be sure, I downloaded a fresh copy myself, scanned it, and verified that the digital signature is intact. This is what you should see when viewing the file's Properties:

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience and alarm this has probably caused. We'll see what we can do to resolve this with Google.

• MitchF
    MitchF
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thx for the quick reply and workaround.

I signed up for .com account yesterday, so assuming AB always provides the latest version of 1PW online then its prob v6. Was attempting to DL the windows app on work computer via my .com acct to sync PWs with personal mac, but a bit leary now.

That said, will give it another shot :)

Cheers.

Mitch

• This happens in Firefox as well as any other browsers that also uses the Safe Browsing service. We'll look into redirecting the file elsewhere.

• MitchF
    MitchF
    Community Member
    Options

thx @MikeT

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

No problem.

It isn't flagging our file directly, Google has blocked an entire portion of the Cloudfront CDN, so anyone inside that portion is flagged.

• MitchF
    MitchF
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @MikeT @Hopeless: Followed @brenty 's instructions re: the workaround as outlined above. Worked. Thx again.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

On behalf of our team, you're welcome.

We're making some changes soon to fix this on our side.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hey folks,

Just an update, we've redirected the links on HockeyApp to our downloads server and it works fine now without any warnings.

This discussion has been closed.