Both Firefox and Google open when any login is chosen. Google is default win 10 browser

Options

It only happens in the main 1P program window, when opening a login by single-clicking the URL hyperlink displayed in the details pane below the main list of logins. Logging in from the Logins area on the Chrome browser extension drop-down menu works fine.
It started happening after I made Chrome my default browser , which was done two hours ago.
Chrome opens first. In Chrome the correct target website opens but login information is not filled in. Firefox opens second. It does not go to the website, just presents the Firefox start up page with a search box.
1Password version 4.6.1.616
According to Chrome itself:: Version 54.0.2840.71 m Google Chrome is up to date.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox vers 12.4.22
Referrer: forum-search:Both Firefox and Google open when any one login is chosen. Google is default win 10 browser

Comments

• That is a very strange bug, @NEOTREE.

It sounds like something happening because of a system setting not working.
    Have you rebooted your PC since you made the change to the default browser?

Thanks!

• NEOTREE
    NEOTREE
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for replying, Alex. Yes, I've rebooted a couple of times. I've just encountered something else: I treed to log in to AgileBits from the main 1P program window, got the odd behaviour and then immediately tried to log in from the browser extension. The browser extension did nothing. Chrome was already running, as I was viewing your reply to my post. I tested that sequence with one other log in as well. Weird, as though trying to log in from the main program poisoned the well for the browser extension. I'll close the browser without a system reboot and then try logging into AgileBits from the browser extension. Saving this as a draft...
    OK, I closed Chrome and 1P, restarted Chrome and used the browser extension to log back in here with no difficulty.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @NEOTREE,

We've seen this before when Windows 10 update has made changes to the registry related to the Default Apps settings and in this case, your web browser.

Here's what helped for many folks: open Start, go to Settings > System > Default Apps, set the web browser to Edge. Now, set it back to Chrome, and it should work.

• NEOTREE
    NEOTREE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike:
    Thanks for the suggestion. However it didn't make a difference. I tried a couple of times. On the second try, I did a restart after setting the default browser to Edge, then set the browser to Chrome after restarting. Happily, the browser extension is just fine.

• Hi @NEOTREE,

In the main 1Password program, can you go to the File Menu > Preferences > General. Next to Double-click option, is it also set to Chrome as well?

• NEOTREE
    NEOTREE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike: Thanks for your help! It's currently set to "Edit the selected item in 1Password." I'll try the other option, which is "Open the URL in web browser". I've chosen "Chrome". Here we go... It worked!

Now I'll reinstall Firefox and try again...Well, some progress: Double-clicking a log in from the main program did not cause Firefox to launch, but the username and password didn't fill in. It was the same login as the one that I tried after making the change that you mentioned.

Found the problem! I have a Google Chrome extension called "Sidewise" running, to provide my beloved tree style tabs. Somehow it's causing the problem. When that extension is disabled, there is no issue. Hmm. Have to look for another tab extension for Chrome.

Thanks very much again for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Interesting. Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Mike, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well after disabling Sidewise. We'll take a closer look at that, as I haven't heard of it before. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.