1Password 6 not accepting Dropbox 2 factor key

Options
reck
reck
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've just downloaded version 6 to take a look at how it's progressing. After it finished installing I have to link it to some kind of account before i'm able to proceed.

My current version 4 data is stored in Dropbox so I selected that option. I entered my dropbox username and password which was accepted but then it asked for my dropbox 2factor code. When I enter it I get an "invalid code" message.

If I login to the dropbox website and it asks for my 2factor code it accepts it ok.

How can I proceed?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.1.272
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! 1Password 6 actually connects to Dropbox directly to authenticate (what you see is the Dropbox website in a browser view), so it's definitely strange that you're not only having trouble, but that it works in a separate browser!

And I wonder if that might be the key. Which browser are you using to login to Dropbox? It may be that it has different timing for some reason. Also, be sure to check that your system time, date, and time zone are set correctly on each device, as it will invalidate TOTP codes if they're not. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

My primary computer is running 1Password version 4 and i'm testing, or hoping to test, version 6 out on a Windows 7 virtual machine in vmware.

I've just tried to login to the Dropbox site within the VM and i'm having the same problem so this is not a 1Password issue. I can login to the dropbox site fine on the host Windows 10 machine.

The time, date and region are the same on both host and guest so i'm not sure what could be causing this problem

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: Which browsers have you tried? Maybe there's a pattern there. I'm wondering if many there's a glitch on Dropbox's end...or perhaps some residue from the internet issues we've seen recently (Globalsign CA, Dyn attack, etc.)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Previously I was using Internet Explorer but I’ve just downloaded Firefox and the 2FA code works ok on that. I then went back to Internet Explorer and it still doesn’t work. Tried again in 1Password and that didn’t work either.

So this appears to be a browser issues rather than a computer issue which is what I initially thought. Is 1Password using I.E. by any chance to generate the dropbox login page? If so is there any way to force it to use Firefox?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: Indeed, 1Password uses the system browser view which is available: on Windows 7 and 8, this is Internet Explorer; on Windows 10 this is Edge. This isn't something where we have an option though. Have you tried resetting IE (in Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced)? Let me know if that helps!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Got it working in Internet Explorer by keep clicking the submit button, worked after about 3 or 4 tries.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: That's really weird. Did resetting not help at all? If not, that's disappointing. Using the system browser view is really the only option unless we try to add our own. :(

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Resetting did not help. Even though the clocks were the same it seems as though it was rejecting the generated number up until it got to about half way round. It was like the system were ever so slightly out of sync even though the clocks on both systems were the same.

I wonder if this is down to me running 1P6 in a VM.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I wonder if this is down to me running 1P6 in a VM.

@reck: I can't think of why that would make a difference of the top of my head, but that does seem like the logical conclusion. I'm using Parallels 12 here. Are you using something else? It's something we can keep an eye out for. Even if there may be nothing we can do on our end, knowledge is power!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Vmware Desktop. Windows 10 host, Windows 7 guest. 2 factor worked ok both times in Firefox, so problem only seems to be released to IE.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it. Thanks! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.