1P Teams does not startup by default.

Hello,

I'm testing a deployment for 1P Teams on Windows computers.
One thing I noticed, after installing it (cumbersome as it may be on locked down Domain GPO), the 1P Teams browser plugin doesn't see the app until it's loaded manually.
I'm trying to keep things simple for my users. Since the latest version of 1P v.6 for Windows is installed per user on the computer, it should automatically load in the background on startup/login.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @JonD0H,

Thanks for writing in.

The 1Password browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera connects to the 1Password app using the WebSocket protocol at the localhost IP address 127.0.0.1.

By default 1Password 6 will launch automatically at startup unless this feature is disabled in the options. The app will show up in the notification area of the task bar and once that's the case, the connection to the 1Password browser extension should be possible.

Can you describe the behaviour you're seeing in a bit more detail?

Thanks,

Alex

• JonD0H
    JonD0H
    Community Member

Hello,

The users will log into Windows (domain) as per usual. Then they will go about their day starting by opening a browser window, typically Firefox. Then they will click on the 1P plugin icon at the top. The browser extension will then complain that it needs 1P to be actively running in order to work. So the user much go to the start menu, find 1P and click the icon to start the program. Only then will the browser extension work.

Contrary to what you're saying, 1P v.6 is not launching automatically at startup.

To elaborate, the user's access profile are all locked down tight via GPO.
    In order to install 1P v.6, I must first log into the comp as admin and install 1P under the admin profile.
    Then, I must log in as the user and re-install 1P again, but under their profile using the "run as..." command.
    A bit cumbersome, but overall it works. Maybe that will change one day?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JonD0H: Indeed, 1Password is installed and registered on a per-user basis, and i the user does not have sufficient privileges, that will pose a problem. We're working on making an installer which will not require admin rights as the native MSI installer does currently though. We'll certainly continue to work on ways of improving the new app, but I'm glad that will work for you for now at least. Cheers! :)

• JonD0H
    JonD0H
    Community Member

Excellent!
    Good to hear that 1P will one day work for a corporate lock down profile.

But, is this the reason it is not starting up automatically after a user logs in?

• That is unusual. Can you please log into a user's account when you get the chance, and check whether the auto-start option is enabled?
    You can find it in Settings > Options > General > Automatically start 1Password when I sign into Windows

If this is enabled, the app should start in the background automatically once the user signs into their account.

• JonD0H
    JonD0H
    Community Member

Yes, the option is there. But, I suppose I should ask this as a product feature. Can we have that setting ENABLED by default for any user on the computer it's installed on? OR, maybe give an option on the initial install which setting the Admin would like set as default for users on that comp.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JonD0H: Thanks for the feedback! 1Password is installed in the user account's local settings and not for all users. This is so that it does not require admin rights to install, which has been a long-standing request from our customers, many of whom are in corporate environments and cannot elevate to install apps. Also, not everyone actually wants a lot of apps launching when they boot into Windows. These are certainly things we'll continue to evaluate, but I just wanted to give you a sense of where we're coming from. Nothing's written in stone, so we're open to see where users want us to take things in the future. :)

• JonD0H
    JonD0H
    Community Member

Fair enough. I agree that 1P should be easy to install without admin rights.
    Maybe I could just ask to have the option to "Automatically start 1Password when I sign into Windows" be included during install - even if it's just for the 1 user.

• Hi @JonD0H,

That's definitely something we can look into, we plan to redesign the whole setup process that will have some guided tips to enable a few common features like start 1Password automatically and how to install 1Password extensions.

Thanks for your suggestions, I've added it to our list.

This discussion has been closed.