Which processor shall i opt for Thinkpad with fingerprint sensor. i.e Intel i7-6700HQ or i7-6820HQ

I am going to buy Thinkpad P50. Please suggest me the processor which will be useful for unlocking 1Password with fingerprint in PC - If not currently then in future version upgrades.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:best processor for fingerprint

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

@cp1111: I'm not familiar with those in particular, but the processor shouldn't matter with regard to the fingerprint sensor. Personally, I try to get the fastest I can afford (keeping in mind the tradeoffs of battery life). I haven't ever said to myself "This computer is too fast", and the more powerful it is, the more use I can get out of it. ;)

What will matter in the long term though for using alternative authentication methods isn't so much the particular computer, but rather that its hardware supports Windows Hello. I think nowadays vendors tend to use fingerprint readers, cameras, and other input devices that support Windows Hello since it's built into Windows 10, but it never hurts to check with the manufacturer to verify before making a purchase.

That said, neither 1Password 4 nor the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app supports Windows Hello, but it's something we'd like to add to the new app down the road. And investing in hardware that supports Windows Hello will allow you to use biometrics with any app that supports it now or in the future — and with Windows itself.

Another thing to keep in mind that does involve the processor (but not biometrics) is that Intel is adding more security features to newer processors, so this might be something 1Password and other security-focused apps can utilize in the future. For example, the i7-6700HQ and i7-6820HQ are very similar, but only the latter supports Trusted Execution and vPro. Fortunately, you can also get a higher clock speed with that too, so it can be viewed as paying for a faster CPU and getting more future-proof security features "for free".

I hope this helps. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.