Firefox and Chrome browser extension not working ...

Options

Hi!

On my Win7 computer I had previously installed the beta and it worked.
Mac no problem too.
And I have a second Win7 computer, where I have no trouble too.

On the first Win7 computer I have now installed the recent version 6.1.296d together with the recent version of Firefox extension 4.6.1 and Google Chrome extension 4.6.1.90. The 1password-app reports: 1Password refused connection from untrusted source, check logs for details.
I tried to uninstall the app, uninstall both browser extensions, reboot the pc and did a new install of all components.
Sorry to tell, it did not solve my issue.

Inside the 1Password app it reports:

• firefox by unidentified publisher, process ID blabla
  • chrome by unidentified publisher, process ID blabla

Windows Firewall is disabled, AV is Security Essentials and is disabled Proxy is disabled and outgoing all ports are open.

This is my log:

2016-11-04T15:38:21 Registering system wide hotkey for Ctrl+# with virtual key code 191.
2016-11-04T15:38:21 Registering system wide hotkey for Ctrl+Alt+# with virtual key code 191.
2016-11-04T15:38:21 A1 is a LocalFolderAccount with UUID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
2016-11-04T15:38:21 A2 is a TeamAccount with UUID YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
2016-11-04T15:38:30 V1 is a TeamVault (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) in A2.
2016-11-04T15:38:31 Loaded 160 item overviews from database. (0,12 sec)
2016-11-04T15:38:31 A2 session id 00000000000000000000, lookup is Ok.
2016-11-04T15:38:32 A2 session key is ready.
2016-11-04T15:38:32 A2 connected to notifier. (0,00 sec)
2016-11-04T15:38:32 Loaded 160 item overviews from database. (0,04 sec)
2016-11-04T15:38:33 Loaded 160 item overviews from database. (0,04 sec)
2016-11-04T15:38:37 Refusing helper connection from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" from port 64551 and origin resource://onepassword4-at-agilebits-dot-com, because of untrusted certificate!

Please help.

reg.,
Bernhard

1Password Version: 6.1.296d
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: Win7 64 pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BernhardH: Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry for the trouble. It looks like this is the problem:

2016-11-04T15:38:37 Refusing helper connection from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" from port 64551 and origin resource://onepassword4-at-agilebits-dot-com, because of untrusted certificate!

Did you perhaps previously have other "security" software installed which modified the browser, leaving it in this state? It's also possible that there's an update pending. Can you tell me which browser versions you're using? If 1Password cannot verify the identity of the browser, it will refuse the connection. Let me know what you find!

• BernhardH
    BernhardH
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Dear brenty,

Firefox is the actual version 49.0.2 and Google Chrome is 54.0.2840.87 m
    Both browsers show the identical problem.
    Security software on this computer was from the first day on only Security Essentials, I never changed it.

Thank you so much,
    Bernhard

• From what you're saying this sounds like an issue related to your proxy, then. Are you using something special? Is this a corporate machine?

The fact that it's not trusting Firefox and Chrome themselves, means that there's something injecting itself between the browsers that has this effect.

Alternatively: are you using a particular browser extension in both browsers?

Cheers from Trier,

Alex

• BernhardH
    BernhardH
    Community Member
    Options

By default, I use a proxy for connecting to the internet. For a test - I allowed all ports outgoing to the internet and I disabled all proxy settings. It did not help.
    In Google Chrome, I disabled all extensions, it did not solve the problem.

With my mac, in the same network, it works.

Bernhard

• BernhardH
    BernhardH
    Community Member
    Options

Now I uninstalled Google Chrome and deleted all related folders in AppData. Then did a fresh install of Google Chrome and only the 1 password extension. Sorry, no success.

• BernhardH
    BernhardH
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Dear Alex,

you wrote: "...means that there's something injecting itself between the browsers that has this effect...."
    Could you please explain how the communication works between these two "programs" (app and extension). Maybe then the light turns on on my side.

reg.,
    Bernhard

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BernhardH: 1Password uses a websockets connection to transmit data to and from its browser extensions. So anything that blocks, filters, or otherwise interferes will prevent this from happening. 1Password will not transmit data if it can't validate that a legitimate browser and extension is what's at the other end.

In the case of a proxy, this reroutes all web traffic (apart from exceptions you set) through the proxy server. So when 1Password tries to send a request to the browser, it isn't going there at all; it's being sent to the proxy instead.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate diagnostic information and send it to support+windows@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

1. Open the main 1Password app
    2. In the Search box, type /log and press Enter
    3. Save the log and attach it to a new email to support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track it down. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• MikeT
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi @BernhardH,

This might help: https://support.1password.com/configure-windows-firewall-proxy/

It has the range of ports we use for the extensions. We haven't included 1Password 6 processes to the whitelist section on that article, I'll file a request for that. For now, it's %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\6\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe.

• BernhardH
    BernhardH
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenty and MikeT,

sorry for slow response.

Finally I could locate the "problem":
    I had a system proxy set on this computer, which is necessary for Windows Updates.
    I can read out the config with: netsh winhttp show proxy
    When I disable the system proxy, 1password works as expected:
    netsh winhttp reset proxy

Looks like I have to find an alternative proxy configuration, in case I want to use 1password.

Thanks,
    Bernhard

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank for following up! I'm glad to hear that you were able to narrow down the cause. Did you try adding an exception to the proxy settings as Mike suggested? That may help. :)

This discussion has been closed.