1Password 6 installs in Drive Root

Options

The new version of 1Password for Windows ignores the path defined in the Installer dialog. On one system, it gets installed in the root of drive D:\, on another system it goes to the root of drive C:. It looks like the path defined in the installer just gets ignored. On another system, an In-App update moved everything into the local AppData folder as defined in the installer. Prior to that, it also got installed in D:\ root.

This is extremly annoying as it clutters the root of the partition which sucks in an 1-Partition environment. Is there a way to move 1Password to an subfolder without having the shortcut reinstalling the app again into the root of a partition?

1Password Version: 6.1.296d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• That is a very odd issue @rootix.

Please send us the .msi installer file to support+windows@agilebits.com

Our developers would like to inspect it. The default installation path hasn't been changed by us.

Thanks!

• rootix
    rootix
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I used the standard .msi downloaded from the 1Password webpage after my families login: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop-6.1.296.msi
    The Installation Folder shown in the Installer is

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\1Password\app\6\

but this is ignored. Is there any install log which i can provide?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @rootix,

This is quite a strange issue and an install log might help us clear up what's going wrong. To create a clean install log, you'll need to run the complete installation again, but start the installation process from the command line; I'll show exactly how to do this below.

1. Uninstall your current copy of 1Password 6.
    2. Go to the original download location of the .msi and open a new command prompt by pressing shift + righ-click in the directory, and selecting "Open command window here". Please note, you must have no items selected to see the "Open command window here" option.
    3. Next, enter this command into the command prompt msiexec /i "AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop-6.1.296.msi" /L*V "C:\log\OnePasswordInstall.log
    4. Continue and complete the installation.
    5. Once the installation is complete, go to C:\log\ and check to see that the installation log was correctly created.

Since your install log may contain some sensitive information, it should not be shared publicly and it would be best to send your logs via email to support+windows@agilebits.com. Just go back into the C:\log\ folder and attach the OnePasswordInstall.log file in your next email to us. Please reference this forum thread in your email so that I can get to your logs more quickly.

Also, please confirm with us here that you sent the email in case there's a mix up along the way.

Thanks you so much for your patience and willingness to work with us to solve this issue. I'm hoping that your install logs will give us the details we need to find a solution! Looking forward to hearing from you :).

• rootix
    rootix
    Community Member
    Options

Just sent the E-Mail with the logfile.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hey @rootix, thanks for sending those logs over! I've got your email and will continue our conversation there.

ref: PGX-36863-533

• NordahlM
    NordahlM
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi,

I have this weird problem that I cant seem to get around. I have tried re-installing the application on several account (different versions) all with the same result. For the record I am using updated Windows 10 Pro build 1607 64-bit.
    During installation I choose the standard install folder:
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\1Password\App

However the result has already been the same, it gets installed onto the root folder of my D:\ drive.

I even tried choosing a different folder like C:\Program Files\1Password but with the same result.
    Also tried to install it to D:\1Password\ instead, the result is also that it gets installed onto D:\ drive.
    A friend of mine installed the program on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, his installation was to C:\ drive as he did not have a seperate partition.

I figured it might have been something with UAC permissions, but I cant right-click and select "Run as Administrator" for some reason.

At the moment I am trying to install version 6.1.296. But as mentioned is has the same using the beta versions, now with this becoming a release version it is kind of bugging me out.

Anyone had the same problem or ideas I can try out?

1Password Version: 6.1.296
    Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Sync Type: 1Password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NordahlM: Thanks for reaching out! I've merged your post with the existing discussion on this issue. rootix found that a policy registry key was preventing the MSI installer from respecting the chosen target folder. Let me know if adding EnableUserControl with a REG_DWORD value of 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\ works for you as well. Thanks in advance! :)

• NordahlM
    NordahlM
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply and assistance.

It worked out. I searched the forums but never found this thread, so merging was appreciated :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! That's what I'm here for. I just happened to remember that I'd seen one other person with the same strange issue. Glad that helped! :)

This discussion has been closed.