Synch Alternatives

Hello, I have a bit of a special problem and hope someone could help me here. Please bear with me while I'll try to describe precisely.
I have 1Password 4 for Windows - Family License i.e. the stand alone version and I try to find a solution for my problem with the software model I have alread paid for :-).

I sync the data via Dropbox to keep different PCs synched and also several iOS devices with the according App. This works perfectly for me except for one Notebook PC since recently, which is my problem.

That notebook PC is actually my corporate/company PC which I am using all week during day time and during travels hence I am adding 1Password data continually on this one while in the evening and at weekends I am using my stationary PC at home equally adding lots of 1Password data all the time. Let alone usage of iPhone, iPad ecc. So proper synching is incredibly important to me.

Now, since a few weeks our corporate ITS security team have extended the blocked sites and servers on my notebook PC adding Dropbox to the blacklist. Since then I cannot sync anymore with Dropbox on this PC. Apart from the fact that the Dropbox sync is working perfectly for all my other devices, I do not believe that a change to iCloud sync or 1Password6 will resolve the problem because any external server of such nature can and will be blocked by our security team.

What could be a solution for me with reasonable effort to keep my notebook PC synced. I would be happy even with an easy manual operation quickly done in the evening or at weekends. Could I somehow sync via import/export? Could I easily and temporarily switch to local synch (WLAN or so) and then back again to Dropbox? Any smart ideas for a sort of workaround? Thank you so much! pw

1Password Version: 4.4.616
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pawo: Thanks for reaching out. It can definitely be troublesome to be at the mercy of corporate policies like that. What do they expect you to do, write down your passwords? ;)

But in all seriousness, neither iCloud nor WLAN will offer a solution. iCloud sync is simply not available to Windows apps, and WLAN works between a single computer and one or more mobile devices — so, not multiple PCs. I also wouldn't recommend export/import. That's not only a huge nuisance, but it introduces issues with dating...and exported data is not encrypted. While that sounds pretty gloomy, there are two options that should offer some hope:

• Manually copy your AgileKeychain or OPVault periodically between computers. This would need to be done carefully and consistently to avoid sync conflicts, because this can confuse Dropbox. And you're only human, so make sure you keep backups in case you make a mistake.
    • Use the 1Password subscription service. This syncs your data between devices automatically using regular web connections, and you can also access your data through 1Password.com, which is handy if you're in a situation where installing software is restricted. And you can use the free trial to see if it works for your workflow.

Let me know which route you'd like to go and we can work out the details. :)

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Thanks a lot, brenty!
    If you don't mind I would like to try first of all to manually copy between computers. I have a doubt though which you certainly can help me before we decide going this route: As I am continually working on both PCs, there are changes on both data files. When I now copy from one PC to the other how can I ensure I am not loosing the changes on the computer I am copying to?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pawo: No problem! Now, making changes on both before copying the data back will not work because what you're doing is not syncing only what's changed, you're copying the whole vault from one computer to another. So the only way to avoid that problem is to be disciplined about transferring the data.

Fortunately, you're probably only one person, and in one place at any given time. ;)

So, for example, you can copy the vault from Home PC and then transfer it to Office PC. Then, once you're finished at the office, copy the vault from Office PC and then transfer it back to Home PC. If you continue doing this, no data will be lost. A similar method that might help would be to use a USB drive to store the vault, plug it into Home PC before booting, use it there, shut down Home PC, take the drive to the office, and repeat the process there. That way you won't have to worry about pulling the drive when it's in use, or 1Password not being able to access the data if the drive isn't connected.

It certainly isn't ideal, but apart from using sync to manage this automatically, you're stuck with manual labour — especially if you want to avoid conflicts and data loss. I hope this helps!

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Thanks a lot, brenty!
    Very clear how to do, also when I hoped to find a more convenient way than copying after each and every change on either PC, to secure mutual up-to-date. I will therefore need to try your subscription service as this seems to be the only truly sustainable solution. What I clearly dislike is the double payment, as I have paid a very decent price ($70,-) already for the stand-alone Family version. Would there be at least a rebate on the normal subscription price for those who have already paid the stand-alone version? Thank you, pw

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@pawo: On behalf of Brenty you are very welcome!

Please shoot us an email to support@agilebits.com and we will see what we can do for you. Don't post any private information here, but do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the message and ensure that it is dealt with quickly.

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Thanks a lot, Greg!
    I have sent you guys the email and the Support ID number is #YIV-46977-682.
    Thank you so much,
    pawo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pawo: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll get back to you shortly! :)

ref: YIV-46977-682

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

great thanks a lot. "See" you there...pawo

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@pawo: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.