1password is starting but there is no visible GUI [Issue with specific monitor setups]

Options
p3k4y5
p3k4y5
Community Member
edited November 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi. I am a long time OSX/macOS user and I am moving to Windows 10.

I have installed 1Password on Windows 10 including browser extension for Chrome and it was working fine until I rebooted.

On reboot 1Password now appears to "start" - the app shows as open in the Taskbar with the blue line underneath it, but there is no GUI at all! If I switch to Task View I see the app but it is just a white pane with no information.

Strangely the browser extension is still working, so I think the app itself is accessing the vault properly, but there is no GUI to use!

Please help

1Password Version: 6.1.296
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Anniversary
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password is starting but there is no visible GUI

Comments

• p3k4y5
    p3k4y5
    Community Member
    Options

quick note: I have since upgraded Win10 to the latest version and rebooted multiple times, it still displays the same behaviour.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @p3k4y5, I'm sorry for the trouble here! Do you have an external display or wireless display connected to your PC?
    When you press "Windows key + P" what options do you have set there?
    Also, can you right-click on your Desktop and go to Display settings and let me know if you see anything strange there.

• p3k4y5
    p3k4y5
    Community Member
    Options

Hi yes I have an external monitor, win+p says I am in Extend mode.

I've tried unplugging but it's still the same result -however now when I hover over the taskbar or view in Task View I can see the 1 password GUI instead of a white screen, but I can't click on it or make it come to the fore at all!

I've tried with and without the external monitor.

The laptop monitor is running at 200% scaling, the external monitor is running at 100% scaling

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @p3k4y5, we may have a workaround for this issue in an internal build we're testing. Can you please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com so that I can share this build with you.

Please let us know here when you send the email so that we can confirm we've received it.

• p3k4y5
    p3k4y5
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for that - you should have email!

• MikeT
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi @p3k4y5,

I don't see any emails yet based on your forum's email address. Can you tell me if you've gotten an automatic reply from our BitBot and if yes, it should list the support ID. Tell us the ID here and we'll look for it.

Thanks!

• Selius
    Selius
    Community Member
    Options

I've seen the same issue running 1Password 6 under Win7 64 bit with a dual external monitor setup.
    If the application was last running on my secondary display and then I shut down, undock, and start the laptop with just the attached monitor, the application will run and appear in the taskbar but the GUI will not be visible.

If dock and go back to the dual monitor setup, open 1Password 6 and move it to my primary display, it will be visible the next time I launch undocked using only the laptop's attached display.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Selius, thanks for providing more details on this issue!

We're running internal testing on a workaround for this issue and we hope to have a fix for it soon.

• jyu
    jyu
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue with the login window only showing up in Windows Task View, and I am unable to use the 1password app. The Chrome plugin does work. I have an HTC Vive connected to my computer and when I disconnect it the login window is accessible again.

• Hi @jyu and @selius,

Can you email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with a link to this thread, we can provide you with a special build that can give you a workaround for this.

We are planning to ship this as a beta update soon but no timeframe on it yet.

• danmoov2
    danmoov2
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone else who experiences this, the workaround is as follows:

1. Rollover the icon in your taskbar
    2. Right click on the preview tile that displays
    3. Click "Move"
    4. Press left arrow key (or right depending on your multi monitor setup)
    5. Move mouse cursor

This will snap the window to your current screen and bring focus to the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up! I'm glad to hear that worked for you. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any assistance. Cheers! :)

• Hi @danmoov2,

Unfortunately, it didn't work for everyone, we were suggesting that originally but for some, it still won't work. We're working on fixing this but no timeframe on yet.

In the next beta update, you'll be able to press Control + Alt while opening 1Password to reset the window boundary data, this is just a workaround while we work on a real fix.

• digitalduquette
    digitalduquette
    Community Member
    Options

I had this same issue, and this is how I was able to solve it.

Plug the windows machine back into the extended display (or an extended display) and move the application GUI back to the main monitor.

Specifically for my use case: I normally have a Dell Windows 10 laptop docked to external displays. I shut down the machine on a Friday and booted back up on Monday at a remote office location and the application GUI would not show. I found another docking station at the office and plugged in and the GUI showed up right away, so I dragged it back to the main display, solving the issue.

Thanks, and hopefully we can get a good fix for this soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

A simpler solution which doesn't require another external display to plug into is holding Ctrl Alt on launch as Mike mentioned above, but I'm glad to hear that worked for you too. We're working on other ways for 1Password to be smarter about display changes. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.