1Password says "Looking for the 1Password Helper"

For some reason, my 1Password does this at least once a week. Usually, restarting my computer and reinstalling the extension works but not this time. I am running 1. Windows Firewall 2. Windows Defender. I am usually pretty good at this stuff but I guess I'm not good when it comes to programs running into each other and interfering with their operations. Please advise. Thank you!!

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password helper

Comments

• Hi @alesandra,

Thanks for writing in and I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having.

I've moved your thread from our Windows Beta forum to the regular Windows forum here.

You should never need to reinstall the extension or restart the computer to fix this. If you see this happens again, please try opening the main 1Password program and go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper, then restart your browser.

Can you tell me if there's any pattern to when it stops working beside once a week, did it happen when you boot up the computer or wake up the computer?

Which browser are you using?

• alesandra
    alesandra
    Community Member

It happens when I wake up my computer. I am using Google Chrome. Thank you for your help!

• Hi @alesandra,

Was Chrome also running when the computer went to sleep? If yes, can you restart Chrome when waking up the computer and see if 1Password reconnects properly?

• alesandra
    alesandra
    Community Member

Thank you Mike! It worked!

• Hi @alesandra,

You're welcome. Although, the issue isn't technically addressed. The extension should reconnect on its own but it could be Chrome's auto-update causing this issue, it may not finish the update until you restart it.

Keep us informed if you still see it happen, we may need to add a few workarounds for this.

• halshehri
    halshehri
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT ,

I'm facing a similar issue. Basically, I have 1Password 6.1.296d on windows 10. Also, I'm using chrome. At the beginning the extension was working just fine but recently it says 'Looking for the 1Password helper' and will never work. Tried to uninstall/reinstall the extension and to restart the machine multiple times but nothing came out of it.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Hey @halshehri, did you recently install any anti-virus software on your PC? If so, you may need to add 1Password 6 to your anti-virus software's exempt list.

• halshehri
    halshehri
    Community Member

Hey @mohamedosman , I didn't. However, I'm suspecting another cause. Today I noticed when I switched to another wifi it started working again!!! The one with the issue has proxy as pre-requisite to connect to the internet. I doubted it at the beginning because I thought proxy might impact syncing only but it seems the case after multiple trials.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@halshehri: Aha, that makes sense! Thanks for bringing that up.

Indeed, a poorly configured proxy may reroute all traffic, including that which is supposed to be confused to your local machine, such as 1Password's communications with the browser. It can certainly impact syncing as well, but if the proxy redirects 1Password's communications when it's trying to talk to the browser so you can fill a login there, the extension won't work. But you can follow this guide to configure proxy settings to avoid both issues:

Configure Windows firewall or proxy server

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.