Authentication token not working

jhargrove
jhargrove
Community Member
edited November 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

The token for two-factor isn't being accepted for websites, but only when the token is grabbed from the windows version of 1password6. If used on the mac version it's accepted just fine. Also, is there any way get this implemented into the Windows version so we can create accounts using 1passwords two-factor?

1Password Version: 6.1.296d
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: WIndows 10
Sync Type: teams

Comments

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Hi @jhargrove,

Thanks for writing in.

The token for two-factor isn't being accepted for websites, but only when the token is grabbed from the windows version of 1password6.

Can you clarify this a bit, I do not understand what you're trying to do.

You can only grab the TOTP/2FA (two-factor authentication) token from within the 1Password app, so where are you trying to grab it the first time?

Are you trying to say the token in both Windows and macOS versions of 1Password aren't the same? If yes, this is likely because your Windows' PC has incorrect time/date settings that's out of sync with the site. Please check and make sure it is syncing with a time server and try again, it should then be precisely the same.

Also, is there any way get this implemented into the Windows version so we can create accounts using 1passwords two-factor?

I assume you mean adding the TOTP/2FA custom field to your login item? This is coming in the near future but we don't have a timeframe on this.

For now, you can add a custom TOTP/2FA field using the 1Password.com web app and 1Password 6 for Windows will pick it up.

• jhargrove
    jhargrove
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

I'm trying to grab a TOTP Token, like this:

But every time I grab the one for this login, it will not authenticate using the Windows version of 1password. But my colleague who's using a Mac, and the Mac version it works perfectly fine.

• Hi @jhargrove,

Can you sign into your 1Password Teams account on 1Password.com using Firefox or Chrome and let me know if the TOTP token there is the same as it is in the Windows app?

• jhargrove
    jhargrove
    Community Member

I just double checked, the TOTP token from my 1password web is the same as the Windows app, but it still doesn't work.

• Hi @jhargrove,

In that case, the issue isn't with 1Password but the source of the TOTP secret. The only thing that makes sense is that your PC is out of sync with the site's time servers, which would mean the issue is your PC's time settings, not 1Password. The token generation is based on the time + secret, 1Password has the secret but it uses the computer's time to generate a token from both.

Are you and your teammate sharing the same item? If yes, my suggestion is to check in with them on what code they sees and what time they have, both of you should be seeing exactly the same thing.

• jhargrove
    jhargrove
    Community Member

Well I'll be, I guess when the time auto-updated for daylights savings it was a minute off on my computer and I just never noticed. Thank You!

• That's great to hear, thanks for writing back to let us know it was the time.

You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.